motor trouble killing my bass opener week !

Toad Hunter

So I've had to borrow my buddy's (say- mid 80s?) 8 hp evinrude for my trip on K-mog and had found when first going into high speed, it seems to do a "chug" or " thud" at the most random times, first day (b4 I was rained out) it wasn't so bad and seemed to almost stop after 2 or 3 random chugs, but now after trolling the past 2 days, it seems worse, I'm thinking maybe pooling ? But I'm no expert so I'm lookin for advice- too much water to be limited to 1-3 kms/h :( please any ideas would be much appreciated - I can take comfort in knowin it happened a few times when I was out with him last year so I know It was not my doing. Just curious because he told me he had it tuned up in the spring and they looked into it but no results (due to total random occurancy) thanx again for any tips

Could be a dirty carb, could be plugs as well. Those old 2strokes didn't like to troll for long periods. Check the plugs, they could be fouled already. Run some seafoam thru it and then put the rest in the fuel tank. Another thing, check the pickup in the fuel tank, those old ones don't like ethanol.

Edited by bigbuck

Had an issue with my boat a couple of weeks ago with it doing something similar.

Ended up being a bad plug.

They were new too. :glare:

Could be another electrical issue too.

Maybe a pad plug wire or coil pack.

But I would swap in a new set of plugs before anything else.

If it is still doing the same after a plug change I would run it on the lake with the cover off and see if the fuel filter is emptying (plugged vent maybe).

But it sounds electrical to me. B)

Those 80's Rudes had a dial on the front to adjust your carburetor. First do the sea foam and change the plugs. This adjustment dial will lean your carburetor or rich'n it up or less gas more gas.

The key is to move dial just 1 notch and keep trolling might take 5 minutes and you will hear the motor change tones. Then decide if better or worst.

Get the manual and find the start setting then you can adjust until they purr.

Thanx garnet, ya I tried messing with the dial a little yesterday thinking that it might have been pooling after long trolls, and a little more today, seems to be a little better but was affraid to have it full throtle (as that's when I notice the problem most) and ruin my buddies motor (even worse)

Thanx garnet, ya I tried messing with the dial a little yesterday thinking that it might have been pooling after long trolls, and a little more today, seems to be a little better but was affraid to have it full throtle (as that's when I notice the problem most) and ruin my buddies motor (even worse)

Drain the carb before doing anything, it likely has water in it if it sat for any amount of time. it can just get stuck in there and make things a nightmare. Then do the seafoam, then plugs. also, if you are feeling brave, you can touch the spark plug wires while its running. if you get shocked then they are leaking and they should also be changed. Very common for spark plug wires to the be the root of weird stuff.

if you are feeling brave, you can touch the spark plug wires while its running. if you get shocked then they are leaking and they should also be changed. Very common for spark plug wires to the be the root of weird stuff.

I’d be careful testing ignition wires that way; a heart deliberator uses something like a 1000 volts to start or STOP your heart. Ignition coils even on a magneto system can produce up too or more then 30,000 volts.

Yea I know almost everyone has been shocked at least once by an ignition wire of some sort; but all it would take is for that voltage to pass through your heart and you’d be done.

Go get yourself a hand pump spray bottle filled with a salt water mixture (one table spoon of table salt to 8 or 10 oz of water) and set the nozzle to mist. The salt will act as a conductor and show you even the slightest of voltage leakage.

Remove whatever covers you need as to gain access to the ignition wires. Start the motor and then lightly mist the wires with this water solution. If there’s a bad wire, wire insulation, carbon track or crack on the coil tower(s) you’ll see what looks like miniature lighting bolts traveling across the outside of the wire or wherever there is high voltage leakage. The motor may even begin to misfire until the water has evaporated.

Easy test do it under low light conditions makes it easier to see, if there's anything to see.

Dan.