Inflatable Boats

Default User

So I must've done something right, because today, the wifey surprised me with a SeaHawk 4 inflatable.

I drive a little Mazda hatchback, conveniently equipped with a roof rack for hauling some snowboards in winter and those oversized home reno and camping gear in summer.

I've been looking for ways to get off of shorelines, but my car is too small to tow anything. In fact, the manufacturer says that my car has ZERO towing capabilities. So I've been hunting for canoes, inflatable pontoons, etc. But a lot of them were either in need of TLC or simply out of budget. My only other option was a Sevylar / Intek inflatable - which have plenty of YouTube vids on how to outfit them.

Now I know it's not the anglers first choice in fishing boats, but it gets me off the shoreline, and doubles as a "family-fun" beach toy. I have no intention on taking it out on big lakes or choppy waters.

So after searching on ideas, I've decided on outfitting this with a wooden floor, transom mount trolling motor, and maybe find ways to MacGuyver in better seating with pocket compartments / cup holders.

My question here is, how many people here use these inflatables, where are some good places to use it, and what have you done to customize yours?

I figured with a 2 or 3 piece floor kit, I can mount that on the roof rack and then mount the inflatable on top of it. Then strap it all down. This will leave room in the hatch for all the other gear.

Plus by roof mounting it - I won't have to worry about getting the hatch all wet, dirty, muddy, etc. (it's still the daily driving, grocery getting, family run-around vehicle)

Those Sea Eagles look awesome!

Do you have a motor on it?

Well, first off, congrats on getting a new inflatable! I've had some experiences with them, and you'll have a great time with it in back bays and smaller lakes.

The floor is almost a must, without it you won't be able to stand on it. A trolling motor would be next on the list so you can fish more efficiently.

During the cleanup process, it's not the boards that are dirtiest, but the body of the inflatable being wet and attracting any sand / soil it touches. Make sure you have the bag that holds it, or something to cover your seats or trunk.

Good luck with it!

The Sea Eagles are the ticket for inflatables. That Sea Eagle 285 is about the same size as my Hobbie Float Cat and would work well but the Sea Eagle Fold Cat is really the bomb (but more $$$$) Standing up while casting is a huge bonus and something I can't do with my Hobbie (and I wish I could stand for flipping) I've seen the Sea Eagle product and it really is well made. By the way wait till you catch a salmon casting a Bass rod in that 285. That is thrilling fishing.

Here is mine. Got the same thing for $100 on sale at Walmart 4 years ago:

1zf2cuc.jpg

Just to add further to the advice already given:

- get boater safety kit with the flares and all that. like $10

- the mount i had to buy for $82 from le barons because it's the only place i could find it at the time and it fits perfectly. though i've heard you can find them cheaper on the net. not even BPS had this when i called them.

- i use a 10lb weight from a weightlifting set as my anchor since those cost $10.

- rope for anchor can be bought from dollarstore. i got 20 feet. and the rope should float which is helpful because if it comes untied from the boat you can always see where the end of the rope is on the surface of the water.

- i use a piece of cardboard folded in two as platform for my battery. it evens out the weight of the battery better on the inflated floor.

- i bought my circuit breaker for the battery from BPS for under $20 I think. important to have one once you get the troller.

- the troller i have is the weakest at 30 lb thrust but my cousin gave it to me for free and when i was using it at guelph lake it took forever to get across. same with going up rivers like 16 mile creek and credit. but when you're on smaller waters it seems like you're moving a lot faster of course. but regardless, it's better than paddling and as long as it's not choppy you'll be fine. i've fished quite a few lakes no bigger than guelph lake and i've done fine.

- i never did the floor thing but i hope that works out for you.

- buy that glue/epoxy from CT that repairs inflatable stuff. it's a few bucks and comes in a tiny little bottle. if you get a pinhole size puncture you just put that on there and it seals it nicely. i got a puncture when a small largie i was reeling in jumped right as i was reeling him around the back of the boat and he landed right on the back end of the boat and as the single hook was sticking out his mouth it got stuck in my boat. no big deal. went back to shore, cleaned the hole, used the epoxy, let it dry and i was back out.

- on the 1st air chamber, it's got that little spout for blowing up like you find on a beach ball. try not to pull on that too hard to get it out after you've pushed it in inwards. i did that too many times and it got a tear in it and i used that epoxy with 3 coats to seal it up. it worked though.

- you need a car pump if you're gonna be inflating and deflating often. if you have the roof rack not a big deal but mine goes in my trunk. i got a coleman car pump that comes with the 2 perfect sized nozzles for $15 from Walmart in the US. it costs $40 here last time I checked which was 4 years ago. takes 15 mins max with the car pump to do all 3 chambers and 2 cushions.

- have fun with it. definitely cool for a family toy. can fit 3 people easy without the motor and battery.

Thanks for all the tips, everyone

License is definitely a must. Not just because it's a regulation, but it couldn't hurt to have the knowledge required to pass the test.

yush_gta - that's a nice set-up you got. Just seeing that pic gets me all gitty.  

Safety kit is a must, as my soon-to-be-6 year old girl loves fishing, and I plan to bring her out with me.  Already got matching PFD's 

Great tip on using the dumbbell weight. Im sure one of my buddy's have a 10lb lying around collecting dust.

I would like to get at least a 30lb thrust trolling motor. Any suggestions on what to look for if buying used?

Total newb question...but Whats the circuit Breaker for? 

...and here's a vid of some guy explaining how he made the wooden floor for his inflatable

couldn't tell ya much about the troller since i was given one but obviously the more powerful the better. at island lake in orangeville the rental boats have trollers on them. i think the boats are 14 feet. anyway, had 4 of us in that thing and the troller pushed us along fine and never got stuck in the weeds so i assume those were pretty powerful as trolling motors go.

circuit breaker i believe is to protect the motor from shorting out when it's connected to the battery and you're cranking it on 5 which is the max speed. i bought it from bass pro and was really easy to connect.

also should mention that you need a charger for the battery. i already had a charger in the garage that charges car batteries but it also has option for deep cycle batteries which is of course what you use for boats. the motormaster one i have is $70 but i see it in CT flyer every few months or so for half off.

as well, when i'm at lakes like valens, mountsberg, and puslinch which have ridiculous weeds and my weak trollers gets clogged up, i have to pull the motor out of the water and take off the weeds. so i'd disconnect the connection from the battery so i wouldn't accidentally turn the motor on while i was removing the weeds. huge pain in the ass so i got a really skinny wooden stick and cut it to the right length so that i can just lift up the motor and push off the weeds with the stick and not have to disconnect the battery and i also no longer had to stretch out to do this.

I used an inflatable for the past 2 years before upgrading to a portaboat this year.

I was using the CT version of that, the bestway voyager 500. I had made a 2piece floor and carpeted it with indoor/outdoor carpet. Then I bought 2 tripod seats from CT, they are about 14" tall and perfect for the boat. Used a 32lb thrust trolling motor with the bestway motormount.

The thing served me great for both years I used it. Anyone at last years fish-a-thon might remember me and my girlfriend in it crusing along. Having said that, I definitely don't miss it, lol. The inflating was fine, but deflating at the end of the day was a serious pain in the... needless to say I now have a Yakima roofrack system for my Mazda3 Hatch (we all drive Mazdas apparently) and I throw the portaboat ontop.

Have fun with it, it definitely beats shore fishing, and if you stay on a reasonable sized lake you couldn't ask for better as you can go as shallow as you like! Just be safe and carry that epoxy sealant as mentioned above, you never know!

The only picture of it I can find:

547158_354057617970085_336045094_n.jpg

d_paluch - thanks for sharing the pic!

I guess the Mazda3 is more common on these boards than I thought LOL (is anyone here on TM3 forums?)

Did you just use regular plywood from HD, and did you wrap the carpet all the way around (or just on top)?

I saw the portaboats, but having a mortgage and car payments and being married with a second child on the way - I can't justify the extra expense

Hopefully I'll be able to move up soon and get a more proper fishing boat. But that won't be until I get a vehicle that can tow it

Edited by Old Skool newbie

Minn kota has a mail in rebate this year, you can get a brand new Minn Kota 30lb for $99 after rebate. I have one on my seahawk 2 and it works perfect, the mount I got from amazon for $26 + shipping (the intex one)- best deal i could find.

Thanks for all the tips, everyone

License is definitely a must. Not just because it's a regulation, but it couldn't hurt to have the knowledge required to pass the test.

yush_gta - that's a nice set-up you got. Just seeing that pic gets me all gitty.  

Safety kit is a must, as my soon-to-be-6 year old girl loves fishing, and I plan to bring her out with me.  Already got matching PFD's 

Great tip on using the dumbbell weight. Im sure one of my buddy's have a 10lb lying around collecting dust.

I would like to get at least a 30lb thrust trolling motor. Any suggestions on what to look for if buying used?

Total newb question...but Whats the circuit Breaker for? 

...and here's a vid of some guy explaining how he made the wooden floor for his inflatable

Hey paluch do you ever fish Mountsberg? I think I saw you on your portaboat a few weeks ago, mid afternoon you were leaving as I was getting there, I was inflating a seahawk 2.

Do you have any pics of your floor? I'm in the process of making one right now. Good call on the seats too!

I just looked online at that mount. I like that price. I spent $82 because I got my motor in August from my cousin for free and I was just jonesing to get out and use it so I didn't even bother looking online because of the time it would take to ship.

And ya I've seen that minn kota on sale before for $99. A good starter motor for small lakes. Sometimes I wish I had a stronger motor so I could move up the rivers and across the lakes faster but I don't have the money to spend on that so I make due.

Another point I want to make which is about the battery:

Treat the battery with care! First couple times I used it I tipped it once and the acid was coming out a bit but also I got a little bit of battery acid somehow on my lower back and it turned red and irritated but I just washed it off with the lake water and it was fine and the redness was gone a couple hours later. But then I managed to get acid on my shorts and a tshirt and my belt. Don't know how I did this but those all just fell apart afterwards and I had to scrap them. Also some acid got on my rear floor mat and there's a mark on it now. lol. it's a slow process. those things that got torn up by the acid degraded over days not instantly.

but anyway, nothing's happened since. but as a precaution i always wear crappy clothes if i'm dealing with the battery and i keep 2 carpets or towels near my battery when it's in the car so it doesn't destroy my interior.

oh and you need a battery case as can be seen in the pic of my boat. i think it's like 10 bucks from CT. the case has two handles on the side and a lid. that case will capture any of that tiny amounts of acid that leaks out. mind you the acid that did touch me didn't exactly burn through me like sulphuric acid. i'm sure mechanics know a lot about vehicle batteries and would tell you that it's not a big deal to get some on you.