SAIL

Squid

I did yesterday. Went just before noon with a buddy from work. The parking lot was rammed, a lot of people decided to park in other lots and walk in. There was the expect fishing celebs there. I just did a lot of scoping around.

They offerred 15% on all fishing related items, 30% off clothing, I didn't manage to look at the hunting department.

My take on Sail is this. Its primarily a "clothing store with and outdoor theme" The majority (about 60-70%) is clothing. Marine/boating is about 10%, the remainder is split between hunting and fishing. The inventory isn't bad, but disappointing. I would say a store like Fishing World has just as much inventory as Sail. Sail fits into a niche Market, somewhere between Canadian Tire and BPS/Cabela's but with better pricing on limited inventory.

If I was running a store like Burn's (in Burlington) or Fishing World, I don't think I would worry too much. Lebaron might have a run for their money though.

Personally I would give Sail another look when the hype has died down, primarily because they are so close (10 min drive) and to give a better look at what they are offerring. I would spend a $100 at Sail before I would $5 at BPS. In the long run I prefer stores like Shortwave, Burns, and Fishing World.

Arrived at 7 to a full parking lot. Grabbed a spot in the park just down the road. Sky opened up and it started pouring. Made it inside to a line up at cash about 50 ft long. Wandered through the fishing section, signs all over the place for 15% everything. Saw a few nice new salmon spoons/colours that I definitely will go back for.

Very nice selection of salmon spoons/tackle and plastics. Like the Set the Hook stuff way too much!!!

A number of "pros" on the floor helping out customers. Was really nice to see interaction. Saw Mark Kulik right helping out a several guys and was going to say hi but he was always busy. Good guy!

Left the store without buying anything due to line up. It's only 10 minutes away so I'll be back.

Only complaint was with a "pro" who was wearing a branded shirt from a high end rod company. What a jerk!! He had to share his knowledge with me as I looked at the Alabama rigs. I guess he figured no one knew what these were. I'd bump into him a couple more times as he continued to "educate" all the other customers.

He spent most of the time at the end of the counter talking to a couple of his buddies. I was 2 aisles over and could clearly hear the swear words mixed in and noticed several other customers look too. Glad I don't own any of those rods!!!

Saw Mark Kulik right helping out a several guys and was going to say hi but he was always busy. Good guy!

One of the best guys you will ever meet Paul. My first visit to the Vaughan store,I had a nice long chat with Chonger. :clapping: Two top notch guys,and down to earth. :canadian:

Went last night, crazy packed, had long lines but they were prepared and had many tills open for checkout, Impressed with that. IMO has a better fly fishing section then BPS, but BPS has way more selection of other fishing gear. One thing I didnt like about it was how the flylines and leaders an all that was behind the counter.. Waited 20 minutes just for the guy to hand me some backing! I'll be back when its not so busy for sure..

I was there in the afternoon and picked up a shirt and some odds and ends. Coleman fuel for 15pts off, I was in! Spoke to Charlie Wray for quite a while, he is a great guy and I know some guys don't like him cuz his show can sound like an infomercial but you have to remember, his sponsors are the ones paying his way. Angelo Viola and Pete Bowman were there too, I tried to find out who the new host was going to be but I couldn't get it out of them. Its a nice store and they have a decent selection of what I look for so they will get my business before BassPro does now. BPS is great but I'd rather support a Canadian company before I send my dough south of the border.

Edited by bigbuck

I stopped by there Sunday afternoon with my daughter. I have to say I was pretty impressed with their fishing section. Much bigger than I thought it would be. The regular prices were excellent as well. Over all I have to say I liked the store. Not far from me either, so that's a bonus.

It was packed when I got there but as I was about to leave I noticed the line-up to pay had lightened up immensely. Which then forced to go back and buy some stuff. ;)

Not too much damage, a few lures and I picked up a pair of Merrel trail running shoes, $45 off regular price! Excellent deal for sure.