New Abu Revo's coming

Garry2Rs

Fishing Insider has a stories today, and at least one store is already taking pre-orders for, a new series of Abu Revo casting reels.

These third generation Revo's are lighter by 20% thanks to shrinking and space-age plastic side covers. They are also stronger thanks to a new gear set and redesigned gear case. The profile, of what was already a small reel, has been lowered, and the spool widened. This is said to improve casting...(?)...One model of the STX will offer an 8:1 gear ratio.

Okay fine...Let's look this gift horse in the mouth. I understand we have an aging population, but I don't understand why we need these ultra-light reels. Especially if we have to give up metal to save these trivial amounts of weight. Personally I don't want plastic parts, even if they are NASA approved. The bottom line is the reel is between your hands. This is where you will notice any weight savings the least.

This whole gear ratio thing is a hoax, in my opinion. Until about ten years ago we used 5.3 for cranks and the 6.3:1 was considered blazing fast...How come we "need" 7:1 and now 8:1 gears today? Let's look closer. All makers have been leaning down their better reels for the last ten years.

To shave some weight and retain frame strength, they have shrunk and re shrunk the reels frame. Now the old spool is too big, so they shrink it too, but oh-oh, now with a smaller diameter spool the gears won't pick up as much line as on the old model...What to do? Well kids, there's an old saying in sales..."If you have a problem, Brag about it!" They stick in 7:1 and now 8:1 gears knowing that these will be harder to crank, but they tell the consumer "It's an up-grade." Hee-Haw!

A wide spool doesn't improve casting, except in the friction-less world of an advertising department. Since the level wide no longer moves during the cast, a wider spool means that the line has to travel at sharper angles to pass through the eye in the level wind...Wider angles equal more friction, more friction equals loss of line speed which leads directly to shorter casts, do not pass GO and do not collect $200.00.

One more thought...

Most North American fishing product launches take place at the I-Cast show in mid-July.

Why would Abu jump the gun?

One thing is that Shimano generally grabs the award for best new reel...I wonder if we will see a replacement for the real Chronarch, that was dropped last year and replaced by a relabeled Curado? Right now there's a huge price gap between the Chron-ado and the Core...

I always think in terms of balance Garry and if reels go lighter then rods need to go lighter.

At some point one or the other will fail!

I build (as you well know) many rods and the trend these days for lighter and lighter float reels (centerpin for you young'ns) makes it hard to keep these long rods in balance.

That fact has had many these days choosing to go with longer rear grips and shorter fore grips (think spinning rod) to offset the forward weight and that generally means your losing as much of a foot or more of your long rod behind your hand. What's the point? Keep the rod length up front and think in terms of balance, you'll get more out of your rod, performance wise. ;)

Good point Chris. I'll suggest one more from the rod building side. A set of mini guides will save move weight and improve the action of any casting rod.

However if lighter is better in today's market, maybe we could approach McDonald's with a similar idea...

Cut the 1/4 pounder to down to 3/16th and advertise it as an upgrade...HAHAHA.

Thanks for the heads up, great read.

I personally favour the current generation revo over many other reels that ive purchased. Many of my friends now use them after trying mine out.

The extra ounce of weight the current revo models possess (compared to 200e) was never an issue for me and is probably what makes the reel feel "solid" compared to other lightweight reels.

Hopefully the revo line only gets better. If not, ill gladly scoop up the discontinued models at discounted prices :thumbsup_anim:

I like light weight, i can pitch and cast with my cores all day long, revo not so much it's a heavy reel that i don't really care for

My three Chronarch's are the old gold painted SF models. Compared to the Core and the Gen 2 Revo they are big and quite heavy. I have used the Core...It's nice, but I just can't get my head around paying more money for a plastic body reel!

I used a Generation 2 Revo last week. We were jerk-baiting for Pike and switched off rods so my friend could try one of my hand made ones. His Revo seemed very small in my mitt and felt sort of frail. I don't doubt it's a great reel, but I have large hands and to me, it felt tiny. I suppose that's why I jumped all over the news of an even smaller version today...grin.

High speed reels were designed for quickly picking up line while using bait dragging type techniques...Texas rig worms, Jig and Pig, Split-shot or Carolina rigs etc. These are presentations where you pull/drag/hop the bait along the bottom with the rod, then pick-up slack and pull again.

As reels and spools shrank over the last few years, it became impossible to give the angler the normal 24 to 28 inches of line pick-up per crank without increasing the gear ratios. That's fine for the drag type presentations, but I'll bet 90% of the guys who own reels with these "Burner" type 7:1 gears are throwing crank-baits with them.

This might be okay with small baits, but as the bait or the diving lip gets bigger, it's like peddling a bike up hill in high gear...With your wrist! These guys are wearing themselves out for no good reason. Meanwhile, the reel manufactures are tell us Ship...wink...is Shinola!

Hopefully the revo line only gets better. If not, ill gladly scoop up the discontinued models at discounted prices :thumbsup_anim:

sorry but I think you missed that boat for the good musky rated reels last fall. :unsure: I know a lot of guys who grabbed a few each knowing a new line was coming out.

Now garry, most musky folks out there will stick to the "tried and true" reels they have now and have used for a very long time. I honestly think they would much prefer to look for a bigger reel with more metal and not be bothered with and OZ or 2 vs. a new light reel cause they now that the older (even if just 2 years old model) is a tried and tested one. that and it should set up rather well on the rod they have now, don't you think?

Either way, I read what Chris H posted too and think that yes they are trying to steal not steel some thunder this year...

I remember reading somewhere that their not redoing their musky reels this year. The reels that are available for pre order aren't the Toro line.

After using cores and t3's I couldn't be bothered to pair my light rods with a heavier reel. The combo isn't as nice to fish with

Great read, Garry...I think I'm more like you in the sense of not putting so much value on saving a few ounces and losing sturdy materials. I have been wowed by a few lightweight combos, but usually, my wallet is even lighter, so I don't pine away for too long. whistling.gif