New Camera?

douG

I recently bought the FZ7 and love it. I am sure the FZ8 is great. I'm sure you're aware of the various Digi-Cam review sites on the internet doogle. ;) The panasonics score well and the leica glass is said to be one of the best.

Hi douG, how are they hanging......?

As you obviously are looking at something with a long zoom take a look at these...

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/canon_s3is.asp

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Fuji...inepixs6000.asp

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Sony/sony_dsch7.asp

I have the Fuji and if you like the manual side of a camera you will love it. Has RAW capability. It doesn't have IS but if you can compose a shot without shaking there are no probs. If you like more of the auto features go for the Canon. Don't know much about the Sony except their lenses are AI.

I have talked to a couple of guys about the Panasonic and they were only luke warm about it. Used to be that the Leica lens sold the Panasonic camera... Having said that it's really all about what works for you. I would probably spend a night or two doing the touchy-feely thing at a place like BestBuy etc and then decide what you like. Price on all of them is not very far apart.

Don't make the mistake that a lot of people do and get caught up in the MP race. 6-8MP is way plenty. Putting 10+ MP's on a tiny sensor doesn't make a lot of sense to me as you suffer in other areas.

Try getting a price from Dave Chong (I believe that's his name) from the board. He claims that he will give OFC's the best price anywhere.

Good luck,

J...

Thanks for replies.

The Panasonic has ois and RAW capability, 7.2 Mp. The OIS is getting to be a must have, with the old age coming on. Being Old and all.

600 pics storage for 30$ is incredible at this resolution. I've pm'd Mr. Chong.

Edited by douG

Conclusion - Pros

* Excellent resolution & sharp results

* Good, natural color and excellent exposure

* Superb 12x optical zoom

* Smooth, almost stepless 2-speed zoom

* Effective image stabilization

* Small and light, but well built

* Comprehensive range of controls

* Very fast operation

* Fast (and accurate) focus using 'High Speed' option

* Well designed menu system

* Nice handling and improved controls

* Easy to use

* Bright, clear, high resolution LCD screen

* Excellent EVF, big improvement

* Decent burst mode and fast card writing

* Powerful flash

* Excellent battery life

* Good movie mode

* Usable raw mode (approx 3 second shot-to-shot with a fast card)

* Powerful raw convertor (SILKYPIX) included

* Lots of in-camera image adjustments

* Superb value for money

Conclusion - Cons

* Some areas of performance actually worse than predecessor

* Noise is, as usual, a bit of a problem at lower ISO settings

* ISO 400+ noise reduction produces color bleeding and loss of low contrast detail

* Default noise reduction too high at all ISO settings (use low NR setting)

* Limited dynamic range, highlight clipping in JPEGs

* Default contrast a bit on the high side

* Occasional (mild) fringing

* Occasional focus hunting at long end of zoom in low light and in macro mode

* Slight video lag in live preview makes very short shutter lag rather pointless

That's pretty much the same pros and cons as the high end Canon and Sony cameras. I'd be a little concerned about the #1 con on the list. Have they taken a step backwards? Have a look at the new Sony H9 that has just been released this week. 8 MP's, ISO up to 1600 and 15x optical zoom for about $500.00. Of course there's no review for it yet as it's just been released.

And DanC, I appreciate your professional opinion.

I'm just a hobbyist douG. But I erred on one of the new Sony H9 specs. ISO up to 3200. Not 1600. I don't know how useful it will be, but it's there. I predict that the H9 will be THE prosumer camera to own until Canon catches up with it, which will be soon no doubt. The Canons are incredibly popular. Funny thing is that some of Canons most critical components are made by Sony, whereas Sony has no Canon components in them. There was mention of the glass that Sony uses in its cameras. They use Carl Zeiss glass. World class. Good luck with your choice douG and let us know what you chose. You really can't go wrong with any of the choices with the high end camera makers. And most of all, let's see some pics!!!