Mayfly hatch

Lunker777

Seems the time has come on LSC..... the Mayfly hatch.

I think it is a little early this year ? But I could be wrong .... A buddy of mine was out yesterday and I guess the fishing has slowed down now.

Whats the best way to approach fish during a hatch ??? just go to a small profile bait ? like a small tube or would a hair jig be a good bait aswell ?

I have never found a great solution to the may fly hatch .I've tried small tubes and hair jigs and small twister tails as well as flies, but I have not been able to consistently catch fish on a day to day basis. I think it is the toughest time of the year to catch anything.

I think the mayfly hatch is but one of the hundreds of reasons to not catch fish. Depending on what you're fishing for, if you need a goto technique for confidence, use a small spinner with a small single hook and a piece of worm. Run this very slowly just under the surface letting the blade break the surface from time to time. You heard it here first. :)

10 or 12 years ago my bro and I were staying near Gowganda during the hatch and we had the best bass fishing I think I've ever seen.

There were lots of trees overhanging the waters edge and wherever the trees were touching the water is where most of the Mayflies were and they were literally covering the water and the branches.

We started casting ChugBugs right into the thickest parts of them where the trees met the water and we were getting good sized fish on nearly every cast.

If we moved away from the Mayflies the bite would stop.

It was an incredible few days of fishing and I don't think I've ever seen anything like it before or since.

Just curious..

Is the bite tough because they're eating bugs or is it because the hatch happens during the same temps that the fish transition in???

Cause the shad flies ( maybe mayflies) are booming right now and the walleye are on the move... Very few spots producing right now... And the bass are also leaving their beds to main lake/river structure...

But if you know where to find the fish they are crazy aggressive... I had walleye inhaling my cranks last night and the smallies were crushing them as well....

I personally don't think the fish will refuse a bait because it's was eating tiny bugs all day... I think you just have to look harder for the active fish...

That's my thoughts anyways...