Need advice on Smokers

muskymatt

I'm in the market for a smoker and there are plenty of choices, so I figured I'd ask for some input.

What is better, gas, electric or charcoal?

Are the bradley briquettes as good as wood chips?

Whats the cost to run difference between electric and propane?

What brand would you recommend?

What spices would you recommend?

Thanks for your input!

I prefer charcoal for the flavours it imparts in the meat, I prefer to grill and smoke with charcoal.... it is definatly making a resurgence..

That said before I can give you an idea on a decent brand... we would sorta need to know what you plan on smoking.,.. and how much at a time...

Hard to go wrong with any of the Big Green Egg products... is it a grill and smoker, and available in many sizes.

G

Edit, to add here is a GREAT resource for anything BBQ/Smoking related you can think of http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/

Edited by Gerritt

bradley's are awesome because you dont have to babysit them. program how long to smoke and how long to cook at whatever temperature you want. as for flavor from their briquettes i've definatly enjoyed everything i've tried but i havn't tried them all(just what my boss has used). personally if i was going to get a smoker i'd pick up a bradley because its simple and doesn't require babysitting.

Our cottage neighbor bought an electric one this spring. So it's his new toy and he calls me his guinea pig :thumbsup_anim: Every weekend he is trying something out. I have had smoked rainbow trout,sausages, chicken thighs,pork tenderloin and its all good.

I have never had an interest in one until now...but man is the stuff ever good. His is a lower end cheaper model but honestly I would just get the same thing because everything he has smoked has came out excellent. As G mentioned the charcoal might add even more flavor but I would never find out because if I do get one it will be the same as my neighbors cause I know I will be totally happy with what comes out of it.

If you want I'll ask him this week exactly what he has.

i've been using a simple electric smoker that i got from canadian tire 7-8 years ago and the food that comes out of it is just as good as any other smoker. the next one will be an old all metal fridge as i need something that's quite a bit bigger.

some people tend to make smoking foods a complicated process when it can be accomplished with nothing more than a cardboard box and hot plate :canadian:

I used to smoke fish only with a true north tin can electric

It worked great for fish---so much so---my neighbors would come beer in hand to my place when I was smokin trout or salmon

Really liked the hickory chips

I prefer charcoal for the flavours it imparts in the meat, I prefer to grill and smoke with charcoal.... it is definatly making a resurgence..

That said before I can give you an idea on a decent brand... we would sorta need to know what you plan on smoking.,.. and how much at a time...

Hard to go wrong with any of the Big Green Egg products... is it a grill and smoker, and available in many sizes.

G

Edit, to add here is a GREAT resource for anything BBQ/Smoking related you can think of http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/

Fish, beef and likely pork to start, once I get the hang of it, I'll expand.

I looked at the green egg but too expensive, I've got a kick ass Weber bbq so I was thinking a simple, not too expensive smoker.

Thanks for the replies

Smoking is really very easy.........you could make a smoker if need be out of a cardboard box believe it or not........

Just a couple of days ago I smoke some awesome salmon......real easy or I wouldn't do it.......

Here's what "MY" smoker looks like but your "new" one might look all together different....

GrillsontheDeck003.jpg

And here's some smoked ribs after a few hours on the smoker.

SmokedRibs6-18-10002.jpg

Bottom line you don't need to have a commercial smoker....Charcoal is a great starter for your fire......I like hickory and or maple wood to smoke with.........if you want my fish brine or my dry rub for ribs....just PM me.........

Good Smoking,

Bob

I got a Traegar and a Green Egg,

All depends what you want, the Green Egg will do everything for you, smoke at 185 degrees to sear your steaks at 800 degrees. The BGE requires a little more input needed with charcoal and tending to the heat but once the temp is set you are good to go. Bag or two of lump will last you a whole summer for 10 or 12 bucks a bag. BGE will last you a lifetime. Dont be afraid of the price, ceramic does not rot.

The Traegar will do a wide variety of stuff, smoke and also cook up to 425 degrees. It is very easy to use basically turn it on and walk away. The pellets can get expensive at 20 bucks a bag, you will burn through almost a bag of pellets doing up a pork shoulder for 14 hours. The Traegar is by far easiest smoker I have ever used. I have had to replace the hotrod, sooner or later it will need parts.

I got a cheap $100 electric smoker years ago for a gift.....lasted 3 uses and the element burned out, after that I went with a Traegar and then the BGE, you get what you pay for.

I heard the Weber Keg is prone to possible cracking if you bring it up to temp real quick......but I have no first hand knowledge of this. Very similiar to the BGE.

A home made fridge smoker looks like fun, but I never went that route

Have fun smokin!

I have a Master Forge, propane, $150 at Lowes

Pros

Propane - controlled heat, no wild swings in temperature over long periods of time

Huge - lots of room inside, I have yet to need more room

Cheap - need I say more?

Venting - venting on it is great to control the heat

Cons

As you will read about, the door needs a gasket, easy enough to do but I have not got to it yet

Water pan is too big - it blocks too much heat, in the winter I have to use a smaller water pan to get the heat up

I have smoked ribs, chickens, roasts, a turkey, cheese..... I love everything in the smoker, it's fun to experiment.

I wanna smoke something now

Check it our here

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/products/master-forge-double-door-smoker/reviews

Edited by Bubbles

I got a Traegar and a Green Egg,

All depends what you want, the Green Egg will do everything for you, smoke at 185 degrees to sear your steaks at 800 degrees. The BGE requires a little more input needed with charcoal and tending to the heat but once the temp is set you are good to go. Bag or two of lump will last you a whole summer for 10 or 12 bucks a bag. BGE will last you a lifetime. Dont be afraid of the price, ceramic does not rot.

The Traegar will do a wide variety of stuff, smoke and also cook up to 425 degrees. It is very easy to use basically turn it on and walk away. The pellets can get expensive at 20 bucks a bag, you will burn through almost a bag of pellets doing up a pork shoulder for 14 hours. The Traegar is by far easiest smoker I have ever used. I have had to replace the hotrod, sooner or later it will need parts.

I got a cheap $100 electric smoker years ago for a gift.....lasted 3 uses and the element burned out, after that I went with a Traegar and then the BGE, you get what you pay for.

I heard the Weber Keg is prone to possible cracking if you bring it up to temp real quick......but I have no first hand knowledge of this. Very similiar to the BGE.

A home made fridge smoker looks like fun, but I never went that route

Have fun smokin!

i've heard nothing but good things about the traegar, but the green egg is simply too small if you're going to be smoking anything but solid chunks of meat. it would take a week to smoke a batch of jerky or pepperettes in one of those. :dunno::D

IMO...units that are more vertical than horizontal tend to be more versatile as they allow you to smoke a wider range of foods and often have more rack space as well. it all comes down to personal preference.

I have had 3 now and for the ease of use my gas one is best. I get my food done right, in a decent time and I keep the heat just how I want it. I got mine at BPS for less than $200 on sale.

I cannot take the propane that some claim comes off on the meat. I do fish in it all the time (BigCliff and Young_one can attest to the quality of the end results) and I do poke and beef too. It's a great unit to learn how to smoke food or just to have when you have a craving too make a dish.

What rubs do you guys like? Sometimes I will make my own but Ted Readers bone dust is great as well as his beerlicious sauce.

This is the only one I have used for the last 15 years or so..........

RIB RUB

6 lbs of Ribs

4 Tsp of Kosher Salt

2 Tsp of Sugar

1 Tsp of Tumeric

1 Tsp of Paprika

1 Tsp of Celery Salt

1 Tsp of Pepper

SmokedRibs6-18-10001.jpg

BB,

Looks like what I use on mine as well but I need to cut down on the celery seed (very salty). I also use mustard seeds but they need to be crushed to release their goodness :) Nothing beats dry rub

Do you use KOSHER Salt.....big difference....lot less salty........Kosher salt should always be used for cooking purposes from what I have read...NOT table salt.