Nf..anyone know about generators?

fisher

I want to power a jumping castle air fan at a park and wanted to know if the 3000 watt generator at Costco.can would work.

The generator is the champion 3000 watt. The fan says 750 watt, 5.4amp, 60hz.

Think it will work? Any thoughts on this generator which is about $100 less in the store than online?

Thanks

I posted thinking that the answer might seem obvious but I have no idea how it works. I didn't know what the ratio of watt in the device that I want to power compared to the generator needed. Seems that I only need a 1000 watt generator then....thanks.

I will have to look around for a smaller generator.

Edited by fisher

The only problem with those cheep generators is they tend to be very noisy and the power out put on them isn't very stable. If you are going to be using this generator for powering computers and things at some point in the future buy a Kipour (Honda but in a yellow package) they are super quiet and nice and stable for powering electronics.

I bought a generator in the winter and did some research. I did not get any good reports on the Champion generators. Buy one that is made in north america or has a history of good products. Check out the Generac, which is sold at TSC stores. They have them on sale a couple of times a year.

I bought one of the cheap Asian built 1000/1300 watt ones from Canadian tire 2 years ago to power my camper while in Alaska. It has been used quite a bit over the last couple of years as I go there for 6 weeks each fall. It is noisy but it has worked well for the job I need it for.

CT currently has their Mastercraft branded 1000/1300 watt model on sale at 30% off.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/6/Tools/ShopEquipment/Generators/PRD~0550343P/Mastercraft+1300%2B1000W+4-stroke+Gas+Generator.jsp?locale=en

I bought a generator in the winter and did some research. I did not get any good reports on the Champion generators. Buy one that is made in north america or has a history of good products. Check out the Generac, which is sold at TSC stores. They have them on sale a couple of times a year.

I now have a permanent automatic standby 10KW Generac wired directly into my house, but before that I had a 6500 watt Champion that worked very well when I needed it. A year ago we lost power for 50 hours and it performed flawlessly the entire time. I don't know how the Champions stand up over the long haul but I was very happy with mine and the way it performed.

For the 50 hours it powered the house it used $100 worth of gas but that was about the same as the other portable generators on the road. It was also quite noisy but no more than the others around here.

I think HONDA puts out one of the best portable units but I think their also several times more expensive.

The Honda units are excellent quality, Kipour uses the same engine, I have worked on both and can't find any difference other than the colour of the case and the Kipour is a lot less money.

I do have a 6500 watt Champion generator set up so I can just flip a couple of breakers and it does everything I need to power the house in a pinch but it is noisy. I could put the Kipour on my porch right out side the back door and you couldn't even hear it running. 3/4 of a gallon of gas for about 7 hours of run time. Only reason I even sold the Kipour was it was only 1000 watts and wouldn't run the big appliances.

I have a 3500W Champion I use to power my Trailer in the winter and I have had Zero issues.

Its not as quiet as a new Honda but in all honesty its no louder then the old honda 1500W I have at the hunt camp.

Mind you the Honda is 15 years old, and Champion is 2 years old so there have been significant developments in quiet technology since then.

But for what your using it for...I'd pick up the cheapy.