prop

I'm asking this question for a friend - seriously, it's not me!!! My friend has a 1998 Minn Kota Maxxum 44 cable steered 12-volt trolling motor. He was having issues with it "surging" - it'd be running along no problem, then it would totally lose power, without adjusting the speed dial, then it would come back on strong. A call to a certified repair centre and the guy said sounds like water in the head. So my friend pulled off the prop, opened the head - bone dry. So he reassembles it as best he can, re-inserting the brushes etc. and now he says the prop is turning in the opposite direction. I wasn't there and haven't seen it. He's telling me this over the phone, but I thought that somewhere in the wealth of collective OFC knowledge, someone might have an idea where he went wrong with the reassembly --- and maybe even how to address his original surging problem.

Thanks!

#1..take his tool box away. :P

#2..hope he's not having sex any time soon, things could go bad for him.. :rofl2:

#3..heck there's only a couple brushes, can't see how that would make it run backwards. I suppose he could have removed the + and - wire and put them in the wrong connectors, good luck

Edited by Fisherman

the head should be 3 pieces he has the center piece (the magnets) upside down tell him to mark the top as he has it now pull it apart and but the mark on the bottom when he re-assembles it simple mistake to make no need to take his tools and sterilize him :whistling:

that's it, don't ask how I know.

Yeah, I thought about that, but he just bought a brand new Everstart battery, so unless it was bad off the shelf, that shouldn't have been the cause.

BATTERY MADE NOT BE GOOD...WIRES FROM BATTERY TO ELECTRIC MAY NOT BE BIG ENOUGH GAUGE...EITHER WAY SOUNDS LIKE THERE IS A LOAD PROB,,,TOO MUCH DRAW ON ELECTRIC