HD Northern Pike Videos

Djeep

I fished Lake St Clair for pike on May 2-4 weekend, mostly with bucktails on steady retrieve. Fish were in 8 to 11 ft of water.

We caught over 20 pike casting mepps to weedbeds. All fish in the video were over 30" with some fish up to 36".

Here's the video a friend and I made of the action with our go pros.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiED3N0EYdo

I am also starting to fly fish and have been trying to catch pike on the fly. A task that is easier said then done! Here's a quick video of the first pike I caught on my own fly, which I tied in the bench vise with braided fishing line! Just a little guy, but rewarding to fool a fish with your own creation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfLfri5JQIk

As a leader and tippet, Ive been using 2.5ft of 20lb tied to 1.5 ft of 15lb finished with a steel leader. Any suggestions on targeting pike on the fly?

Setups, flies, retrieves, locations?

Also any feedback on how to improve my videos would be greatly appreciated!

Great vids.

As for the fly fishing for pike the #1 fly to keep on you is bunny flies in yellow and red and black and red. Change up your retrieves starting fast long strips to try and find active fish and cover water but if you're not getting anything slow it down, let the fly sit in front of the fish.

Great vids.

As for the fly fishing for pike the #1 fly to keep on you is bunny flies in yellow and red and black and red. Change up your retrieves starting fast long strips to try and find active fish and cover water but if you're not getting anything slow it down, let the fly sit in front of the fish.

My pike setup is a 9ft 8wt and a 7' 11" 10wt. I like the shorter rod for spring when they're in the shallows and you need the shorter rod to horse them out and keep them away from the snags or when using really big flies.

The leaders i use is an 5 to 7ft section of 20 or 25lb mono with a 18" section of 40lb fluoro or 15lb knotable wire.

Hope that helps

Jacob

I targetted the pike by using smaller bucktails then I normally would for Muskie.

This tactic worked well as we slammed the pike with only 2 lazy follows from Muskie that were

probably still recovering from the spawn and fortunately did not commit to our smaller offerings.

Thanks for the fly tips though guys!

Il need a bigger fly rod for muskie flies!

There's a good number of pike in LSC but with the amazing smallmouth and muskie fishing, it is often overlooked.

Time of the year is also very important I have found as the bigger gators dont have much free room between the warm shallows and the muskie infested basin.