Tick removal..whats your trick?

tb4me

Here is somthing I read and thought it was worth sharing.. Not to sure how or if it works..It did however get me thinking, what does everyone here do for tick removal?

Spring is here and the ticks will soon be showing their heads.

Here is a good way to get them off you, your children,

or your pets. Give it a try.

A School Nurse has written the info below--good enough

to share--and it really works!

"I had a pediatrician tell me what she believes is the best

way to remove a tick. This is great because it works in

those places where it's sometimes difficult to get to with

tweezers: between toes, in the middle of a head full of

dark hair, etc."

"Apply a glob of liquid soap to a cotton ball. Cover the tick

with the soap-soaked cotton ball and swab it for a few

seconds (15-20); the tick will come out on its own and be

stuck to the cotton ball when you lift it away.

This technique has worked every time I've used it

(and that was frequently), and it's much less traumatic

for the patient and easier for me.."

Also, if you just pull a tick off, their heads sometimes break off

and are left under the skin so this is much safer. Be aware

also that a tick with a white speck on its back is a Deer

Tick, these can cause Tick Fever so check yourself and

your family good if you see any of these!

"Unless someone is allergic to soap, I can't see that this

would be damaging in any way.

Please pass on. Everyone needs this helpful hint.

I get hundreds if not thousands of them per year. Most are removed before they bury the head. The soap trick works really well though, especially in hair. I usually just pluck the buried ones with tweezers, carefully.

Deet repels them but also repels fish, lol. So I usually don't use any form of bug repellent.

Edited by manitoubass2

I was told by a professional ( forget the actual title...) that a tick takes 3 days before it can loosen its she'll to feed... So you got 3 days before things get a little more tricky...

Do not burn it!!!! Ticks breath through their backside while feeding on you... So if you burn them they'll regurgitate inside you causing infection...

At most pet stores the sell these little plastic tick removers... From what I've heard they work really well...

Like I said... This was taught to me while tree planting in kenora by people that I assume knew what they were talking about...

Edited by Musky Mike

According to Snopes, this is false and the email has been circulating since 2006. You need to remove the tick manually by tweezers.

I have experienced ticks on our island for years. The best way has been a little plastic tick twister you can get from the vet for (at least if you use revolution) free. Never a problem taking them off with the dogs, kids or myself.

I spent a summer when I was 17 in the junior ranger program. We were stationed around Fort Frances (Cuttle Lake) and we always had ticks on us at the end of the work day. We used toothpaste to get them out. Apply a nice sized blob on the ticks and they back out.

I spent a summer when I was 17 in the junior ranger program. We were stationed around Fort Frances (Cuttle Lake) and we always had ticks on us at the end of the work day. We used toothpaste to get them out. Apply a nice sized blob on the ticks and they back out.

Yep, we get em thick up here!!!! I've had 50-60 in a day near Cuttle, Mainville etc.

Edited by manitoubass2

Yep, we get em thick up here!!!! I've had 50-60 in a day near Cuttle, Mainville etc.

You have to be kidding, thats crazy!!

My wife just about puked when she pulled one off my groin about half an hour ago. Picked it up at the car dealership! Looks to be a deer tick.

Now this is my first time with a deer tick, Ministry of Health website says they take the tick and test it for lyme disease? I put it live in a plastic bottle.

Burt :)

Also put a moistened cotton ball in with it. This will help prevent it from drying out after it dies in the bottle. They can't test it if it's dried out.

I've been reading up a fair bit on ticks because my kids are out in the fields and ponds catching all sorts of bugs and critters. There are plenty of deer in my area and we're fairly close to an area known for black legged ticks which are known to carry Lyme Disease...not just because of my screen name :)