:;,

No, that sounds interesting :thumbsup_anim: , what do I use as bait? And would I just move along slowly with my trolling motor? Thanks

You can search for my report to see how I was shakeyheading, I couldn't seem to find it??? Rainy River Walleye or something like that?

I was fishing from shore that day, picking apart structure, working the bait really slow on current seams.

Since then, I've used this technique in the boat as well, and we drifted to locate bites, then anchored up and worked the area slowly. I've used Matzuo worms in watermelon red/flake (basically a Senko rip off), I've used BPS worms in a similar color with chart. tips on the tail.

I take the worm and trim off about 2", then rig it as normal. I was using 1/8oz in heavy current. You can bury the hook to and get in good and deep into the weeds.

April112012walleye011.jpg

April112012walleye033.jpg

Also, I've been experimenting with 3-4" fluke minnow baits, texas rigged and using a bullet sinker. Nothing huge bit but lots of good numbers so far

Edited by manitoubass2

I really like trolling stick baits for walleye.

My best technique is trolling shallow divers over the tops of isolated weed beds.

I look for humps that top out in 8-12 fow with submerged weed beds and try to tick my bait off the weeds as I slow troll over them.

Get on the cranks!!!!!

Troll structure with cranks... Don't be afraid to make contact with bottom...

On average cranks will get the bigger fish... And once the water warms up enough... Cranks will not only get you bigger fish... But they'll get you as many as spinners if not more because you can cover water faster...

My brother used to be a spinner troller... Now (after i got him onto the cranks) he only uses spinners in the spring... And only half the time... Once the end of June hits it's all cranks for both of us...

Not sure about Gbay but that's the case here and I'm willing to bet that's the case there...

The walleye bite is very good on Gbay right now and was looking for some new tactics to get proficient with. Right now we catch lots trolling worm harnesses and jigging/slow-rolling soft plastics tipped with a bit of worm back to the boat. So are there and different techniques I should learn for Gbay walleye?

Andrew

I have great success on The Bay with these Vib-E bladebaits: http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/blade-baits/107311.aspx

I will fish dropoffs and deeper weed edges. Drift and rip off the bottom, or cast to dropoff edge and work it down the shelf. Use a snap swivel (or a small leader with a snap swivel) and not a ball bearing swivel. I use these baits here in the states exclusively in the fall, and we caught 2 30 inch eyes doing this on Geo Bay, when the jig/harness bite slowed. These things displace so much water when you rip them that they will often induce a reaction strike. I also use 4 in Storm swimbaits in the same fashion. Both are good secondary or plan B tactics for me, right about the time I remove my hat and start scratching my head when my traditional methods slow or fail!

I have great success on The Bay with these Vib-E bladebaits: http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/blade-baits/107311.aspx

I will fish dropoffs and deeper weed edges. Drift and rip off the bottom, or cast to dropoff edge and work it down the shelf. Use a snap swivel (or a small leader with a snap swivel) and not a ball bearing swivel. I use these baits here in the states exclusively in the fall, and we caught 2 30 inch eyes doing this on Geo Bay, when the jig/harness bite slowed. These things displace so much water when you rip them that they will often induce a reaction strike. I also use 4 in Storm swimbaits in the same fashion. Both are good secondary or plan B tactics for me, right about the time I remove my hat and start scratching my head when my traditional methods slow or fail!

Curious, have you ever tried tipping these with crawlers?

Hey Manitou Bass, can show a better icure of your shakey head rig and how you work it? I'm intrigued but I can't seem to figure out just what it is.

Northlands 1/8oz shakey head jig

april102012braytsbday002.jpg

The worms I used on my epic walleye day (basically a Senko)

april102012braytsbday001.jpg

Trim abit off the worm head

april102012braytsbday003.jpg

Put the worm on the screw lock head first, then rig the hook though the worm

april102012braytsbday004.jpg

The technique I've been using is to cast out, let the bait hit the bottom, then it's either a very light jigging motion, lifting the rod tip from 9 to 10 o'clock, drop back down, then just gently shake the rod tip a few times, then repeat.

You can also use it right in a weedbed, just rig the worm so the hook isnt exposed, then drop it in a opening in the weedbed, and do the same thing I mentioned above

Edited by manitoubass2

Curious, have you ever tried tipping these with crawlers?

No, you can't tip these bladebaits with anything or they will foul immediately. Any weed or leaf will foul them too. They really vibrate when you lift them and for the smaller ones (1/4 oz) I actually slide a piece of plastic tubing on the line before I tie on the snap swivel to reduce the trebles from fouling on the line.

But they are very versatile baits. You can cast them like a jig and work them down the shelf or rip them vertically...