Some new mud flaps

lew

I ordered these Rock Tamer mud flaps from Cabellas and got them installed on the truck yesterday. Pretty good service from Cabellas too as I had them 4 days after they were shipped out.

Pretty slick set up where the main bracket slides over the 2" draw bar on the hitch, then adjustable arms come out either side to hold the flaps wherever you want them depending on the width of your truck. They can also be raised or lowered depending on the weight being carried in the truck.

When you don't need the flaps, just remove the draw bar and the whole package comes off.

Should work well to keep alot of rocks & road junk from hitting the boat & trailer.

002-4.jpg

003-3.jpg

Edited by lew

nice!

how thick and stiff is the rubber on those? the homemade setup that came with my boat is built good, but the rubber they used is very flimsy and flaps like crazy over 90km/h and i'd like to solve the issue.

nice!

how thick and stiff is the rubber on those? the homemade setup that came with my boat is built good, but the rubber they used is very flimsy and flaps like crazy over 90km/h and i'd like to solve the issue.

Their at least 1/4" and very sturdy and I doubt if flapping in the wind will be a concern with these. Their 24 x 24 and easily cut to the proper length.

Here's a link to them in Cabellas

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Auto-ATV/Auto-Exterior/Mudflaps-Tire-Chains%7C/pc/104796180/c/104696280/sc/104460480/Rock-Tamer-Mud-Flaps/716361.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fauto-atv-auto-exterior-mudflaps-tire-chains%2F_%2FN-1100779%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104460480%3FWTz_l%3DUnknown%253Bcat104696280&WTz_l=Unknown%3Bcat104696280%3Bcat104460480

nice!

I made a home made set up. Used mudflaps from a transport bought at a local dealer for $9 a side.

I like how these ones raise up off the hitch though, mine have a little gap between the bumper and the mud flap

nice!

They blow back about 8" on mine. That can be minimized with mudflap weights...

http://www.iowa80.com/DirectionsWEB/webcart_category3.php?catid=MUDFLPWGHT

I made a home made set up. Used mudflaps from a transport bought at a local dealer for $9 a side.

I like how these ones raise up off the hitch though, mine have a little gap between the bumper and the mud flap

Mine does as well but the Rock Tamers can be fitted flush. I left a gap because my truck has duel exhaust cutouts in the bumper and I didn't want it directly on the mudflap.

IMG-20120504-00131.jpg

IMG-20120504-00132.jpg

Can they be set as to not be an issue with the dual thru bumper exhaust?

Not sure how they'd work with dual exhausts Rick.

My truck is an F-150 and I've got the flaps set up so they stick out about 4" past each wheel and that leaves about 16" either side of the hitch.

If your pipes are close to the center it'd work but if their more to the outside it could be a problem I spose.

002-5.jpg

The polished aluminum top plates and bottoms work well on them from any big truck parts store too Lew , they are the some size bolt pattern and go right on , then also have the built in reflectors on them ...... lol .

Lew I like that setup

Can they be set as to not be an issue with the dual thru bumper exhaust?

Slowpoke Are yours Rock Tamers?

Rick

No issues thus far. I've put over 1000 kms on in 3 weeks and the flaps look fine directly in front of the exhaust. Barely even warm after a highway run. If you are concerned about heat or exhaust flow, you could cut a 4" hole through the flap in line with the exhaust pretty easily but I don't see it being necessary.