Opinions on this boat

ah_long

I'm have put a deposit on this boat and I would like to see what the boat gurus here say about it.

I know it's no bass boat and I know I won't win any speed races with it.

What I do want to know is how much is this boat worth (market value) and whether I got a good deal or not. Boat is missing a windshield and doesn't have a cover. It does however have a bimini top.

As soon as I get it, I'll be removing the VRO system on the motor and mix my own gas.

I would like to know if there's anything I should know about this year and model of boats. I also see that there's some paint bubbling in the back and some paint peeling off @ the carpet corners, should I be concerned about corrosion?

And how fast would this rig go at the current set up? and down the road if I upgrade to a 50hp, what kind of speeds should I expect?

Thanks!

Long

7182022852_3ce8a19088_z.jpg

7182023316_0c543e1d55_z.jpg

7182023808_4727815b4a_z.jpg

7182024244_667f7ca26b_z.jpg

7182024648_92959e0c6d_z.jpg

7182025066_249c090e00_z.jpg

7182025618_9ac559e172_z.jpg

7182026088_e0be2f4f9e_z.jpg

7182027748_25755eddd8_z.jpg

Here are the areas of concern:

7182026604_3c126abef8_z.jpg

7182027210_12bb238ce2_z.jpg

That's a nice rig, exactly the size and style of boat I would like. But like you say, with an upgrade in power. What's the max hp rating on that model? As for the areas you are concerned with, I wouldn't be too worried about corrosion but more about it starting to chip and then spreading like wildfire! Before you know it you may be down to bare metal lol. (well maybe not THAT bad, but you get it) Good luck with the rig, show us the first sliming of it when you get it wet :)

I would be concerned, NJ registration, salt water.

Edit: probably got poured in foam under the floor , it there is salt water in the foam next to the hull you could be looking at perforation developing. Maybe the plywood in the transom is wet too.

Edited by dave524

With that motor 20 mph downhill ,a 50 hp go with merc would maybe go 30 , the salt corrosion would definitely be a concern , You should investigate it more,worth around $ 6000 to $7000 IMO if u can get it for a good $ then grab it. Good luck

with all the taxes/gas/inspection fees.. etc.. I'll be paying about $5k

the sales guy is actually very upfront and said that he'll have his service department look it over on Monday and make sure it's ok and also find the source of it.. it could be as simple as a bad ground or a wire touching the hull

Take the boat, there's nothing wrong with what I see. I have a 2000 Princecraft Pro Series 167BT. Mine has the same symptoms as that one and mine has never seen saltwater. That's the problem with carpeting. Looks good when new but holds water and eventually makes the paint bubble. I might be concerned about the bubbling on the transom though. PM me if you have questions on that boat.

I wouldn't be too worried about corrosion but more about it starting to chip and then spreading like wildfire! Before you know it you may be down to bare metal lol.

I'd be VERY concerned about the corrosion. It's not a paint issue, nor will it be "down to bare metal". There will be no "metal" there soon.... as it's actually the aluminum itself corroding and bubbling the paint off. It needs to be addressed IMMEDIATELY upon purchase by removing all the paint.. cleaning prepping and conversion coating the area before repainting.

I'd be VERY concerned about the corrosion. It's not a paint issue, nor will it be "down to bare metal". There will be no "metal" there soon.... as it's actually the aluminum itself corroding and bubbling the paint off. It needs to be addressed IMMEDIATELY upon purchase by removing all the paint.. cleaning prepping and conversion coating the area before repainting.

thanks...

going to try to locate the source first.. it could be a very simple thing... and because of the properties aluminum, I could easily mitigate the problem by using an anode

thanks...

going to try to locate the source first.. it could be a very simple thing... and because of the properties aluminum, I could easily mitigate the problem by using an anode

The "source" would be the fact the boat got scratched and the salt water / battery acid / who knows what started the filiform corrosion process. An anode isn't gonna fix anything... hard work will though.

I remember reading somewhere that the corrosion is " Princecraft" problem ... On certain models they used the boat itself as a negative ground straight from the battery , this is what causes the corrosion , and if I remember correctly, there is still a recall on affected crafts.... This boat might be one of them ?

Randy

:)

I would say thats a good deal. But I would address the bubbling immediately. My buddy has the same boat with a 50 evinrude and it get the two of us and gear around really nice. It's a tuff boat as well, we have beat the piss out of it over the years dragging it into lakes in Quebec.

The "source" would be the fact the boat got scratched and the salt water / battery acid / who knows what started the filiform corrosion process. An anode isn't gonna fix anything... hard work will though.

Looking at the transom ,it seems to have started and worked outward from where the transom aluminum has been drilled for the spashwell drain, hold down ring etc, probably wasn't sealed and the plywood core is wet in this area and the corrosion is from the inside out. Think I would pull the motor and replace the plywood in the transom and reinstall the hardware with proper sealant. Maybe back the affected area with a aluminum sheet and 3M 5200 and fill the exterior surface with JB Weld. Been researching restoring older aluminums and this seems to be a pretty common problem.

Yep.. Dave's got it. Moisture will actually go completely thru the porisity of aluminum. Had a customer that thought it would be smart to glue cork to the inside of his airframe to dampen/stop noise... and shortly there after we had paint bubbling off the puppy!