Lake Erie perch help

Hi there, hoping someone can offer some advice. I have a trailer in Lowbanks and launch out of Mohawk marina on Erie. New to the area and having some trouble finding fish.

I went out with my oldest son today. We tried from 25 feet out to 60 feet and not a bite. We were using live minnows on drop shot.

To be honest, not even sure if I marked anything... There were some " clumps" on the bottom, but no arches.

I would really like to get into some. Thanks in advance for any help. PM me if preferred.

Those clumps are what your looking for. You don't get a arch with a bunch of fish close to the bottom, just a cloud or when you see the bottom line get thick. If your anchored and a single fish appears on your screen, you'll get a strait line near the bottom. This happens a lot when fishing Simcoe for Whities or L.Trout. Some times you have to use Zoom to get a better mark.

Edited by Fish Farmer

Sneak_e_Pete,

You're on the right track and drop shotting is a great method for perch. Plastics will work but minnows is the perferred bait. Also, Erie is a huge body of water so don't be shy when looking for perch...look for the packs of boats as a starting point. From there you can mark fish and get busy. Here is a picture of what you're looking for.

perch.jpg

G..lander, those fish are a bit off bottom for my liking...how did you do in that school ? ? ?

Hello BB,

As you can see from the right side of the screen the school will fluctuate in depth. I set my drop shot depth according to where the average is for that given day. I've had them pinned to the bottom as you show and suspended in the middle of 35 feet.

Oh, and it was non stop action on that day!

don't hold out and keep driving around looking for schools on bottom or you'll be missing a bunch of great fish and action. just like many other species, schools of big perch are often suspended and nowhere near bottom. fishing on bottom is easier, but many times the biguns are higher in the water column just waiting to be tossed in the bucket by a savvy angler :thumbsup_anim:

a dropshot rig and minnow is great for feeling bites in the deeper water. i prefer 8 lb power pro with a 4-6 lb flourocarbon leader on my ultralight rod. you can feel the fish fart near your bait ;)