Sportspal North Bay-Excellent Service and Workmanship

Rod Caster

I bought my 14 foot sportspal last year just prior to an LSPP trip and I was extremely happy with the purchase. $400 including a 28lbs trolling motor and many accessories. Coming from a 12 foot beater I was content just to have a canoe with legroom and keels. The nagging issues didn't bother me until later in the season... recurring leaks, crappy foam seats and no yoke.

This year, with a reminder from Nipfisher that "the sportspal factory is in North Bay, you know", I decided that I'd upgrade a few things. I brought it in to Steve at BW Marine Products for a quote on parts and labour. Steve was extremely friendly, knowledgable and more than willing to take my business.

Him and his crew would install permanent seats, a yoke, new foam sponsons, nose cones and a new gunnel. They would also fix a few large leaks.

A week later, I get a call that my canoe is ready. Sweet! Drive to the bay door, they open up and I look inside for my canoe dunno.gif All I see are new Canoes.... He nods and says "that one is yours". w00t.gifw00t.gif Get this: They painted the inside and out, entirely re-sealed the unit, re-formed it and even installed a few new ribs. I kid you not, other than the inside foam, my canoe is BRAND NEW!!! All this for $350!! They charged me for less than 2 hours of shop time.

Needless to say, I'd recomment BWmarineproducts.com to anybody!

Here are some photos of the canoe as I bought it: note the old seats, paint job and generally "used" look.

IMG-20120331-00047-1.jpg

IMG-20120331-00055-1.jpg

100_0153.jpg

100_0001-2.jpg

Here she is now:

IMG-20120413-00006-1.jpg

IMG-20120425-00037.jpg

IMG-20120425-00038.jpg

IMG-20120425-00039.jpg

IMG-20120425-00040.jpg

IMG-20120425-00041.jpg

Edited by Rod Caster

Deja vu LOL!

http://ontariofishin...=1entry493423

They are a great company indeed.

Oh ya, I was told to look for this post. Thanks. Good stuff!!

Looking good Chad.

I wouldn't worry about too much fish slime in it. Maybe a mess from worm dirt. w00t.gifGonefishing.gif

I'm ok with sliming up your boatwhistling.gif

Awesome!

I wish North Bay was closer, so that I could get my 14' squareback fixed up. She's got a few leaks and is generally looking older these days.

Your ride looks brand new!

you can also order some repair kits from them, like sponsons, seats etc... many of the parts are quite easy to repair on the canoe. Of course these guys have years of experience and the shop/tools to do it 10 times quicker. Check out bwmarineproducts.com

Edited by Rod Caster

I just did some repairs on mine today. It's close to 35 years old and the seams were starting to crack and leak. I brushed the seams with a brass brush on my drill and then slapped on some LP glue advanced premium. I will be using the canoe early Friday morning (trout opener in my region).

I'm also thinking of installing a yoke and the new type of seats instead of using the foam seats. However, I have modified my foan seats so that they are twice as high as they were by adding an extra foam seat under the one I am using now. This way, I still have the back rest yet I can sit higher. As for the yoke, I always bring along 2 paddles so when I do any portaging, I tie them into a "V" and add some foam where the yoke sits on my shoulders.

I got rid of the sponsoons long ago and I doubt I will install new ones.

I have a trick for those who like to lay their rod across the canoe when still fishing. I add foam rubber tape on the gunwales to protect the rod. It also prevents the rod from sliding when there is any wind.

I just did some repairs on mine today. It's close to 35 years old and the seams were starting to crack and leak. I brushed the seams with a brass brush on my drill and then slapped on some LP glue advanced premium. I will be using the canoe early Friday morning (trout opener in my region).

I'm also thinking of installing a yoke and the new type of seats instead of using the foam seats. However, I have modified my foan seats so that they are twice as high as they were by adding an extra foam seat under the one I am using now. This way, I still have the back rest yet I can sit higher. As for the yoke, I always bring along 2 paddles so when I do any portaging, I tie them into a "V" and add some foam where the yoke sits on my shoulders.

I got rid of the sponsoons long ago and I doubt I will install new ones.

I have a trick for those who like to lay their rod across the canoe when still fishing. I add foam rubber tape on the gunwales to protect the rod. It also prevents the rod from sliding when there is any wind.

When I broke the "backrest" on my foam seats, I used the bottom portion along with a padded boat seat. It was extremely comfortable, but it was cumbersome to carry on trips.

That looks fantastic. I've always wanted to add webbed seats to mine, at the moment I'm using milk crates. Does it look like a fairly straight forward do it yourself project?

It looks very easy to be honest. BW sold me the seats for around $30, which is a steal. Installing them requires a small drop bracket (supplied) and a couple screws on the gunwhales. If you have even a basic garage or shed i'm sure you could do it in an hour or socanadian.gif

Nice looking craft! Sadly, my experience with BW Marine was not too good. Needed some wheel and bearing info about one of their boat trailers I bought and couldn't get the time of day out of them despite having all relevant information at hand. The canoe side of the enterprise must be friendlier.

I've only dealt with the warehouse side once, they are currently ordering me a new propeller for my 28lbs thrust Motorguide. $15 compared to $30 onlinethumbsup_anim.gif

I have heard a few good stories about BW Marine as well over the years, I should bring my canoe in to them this season and have them look at fixing up proper, the patch I had to put on last year. Sharp rock poked through up front when my buddy stepped in, good thing we had the work van with us and had some scrap pieces of metal (sheetmetal worker/installer for a roofing company) and some bugle tape. Ten minutes and was back on the water. Some the seams on her could use some touch up as well, more for appearance sake though, for have no leaks.