Engine oil/gear oil question..

BillM

Just picked up a 2010 Yamaha T8 High Thrust for the boat and gotta get some oil in the gearcase and the engine.. Gear case is SAE #90 and the engine takes a 10W30 or 10W40 according to Yamaha. Should I go with the Yamalube for both?

Edited by BillM

great little motor bill...have had it on my boat for 5 yrs....great kicker!!!

is it a tiller or did you get the side controls for it...i think im goin to get the controls for mine this year...havin it workin as a tiller is a pain...

Appreciate it guys! I realize the Yamalube wasn't magical, just needed some opinions from some of you veterans :)

I also run the Nautilus gear oil and have been since new.

My motor just turned 21 and I have never had an issue.

In my sled I run Yamalube oil as there is no other oil in town with the right viscosity (0-30). :(

In your case I would run the Yamalube for the break in period and then switch to a full synthetic. ;)

I run full synthetic injector oil in my OB. :D

i use amsoil or lucas synthetic gear oils in my sleds and boat as for the engine lucas also makes marine duty 10-30 10-40 oils.

the yamahalube is a very good oil i use if for break in on my yamaha products and will purchase it if amsoil/lucas products arn't availabe

If you're gonna use it late into the fall Bill... 10W30.. and any good quality engine oil will suffice. That is all the marina uses for every small engine in the yard. Gear case.. I use the Merc High Performance in mine, mainly because I have to put that in the Verado lower end and don't want two filler pumps going, but give thought to that kicker working hard if you happen to use it to troll for skis...Make sure you buy a high quality 90W lower unit oil.

great little motor bill...have had it on my boat for 5 yrs....great kicker!!!

is it a tiller or did you get the side controls for it...i think im goin to get the controls for mine this year...havin it workin as a tiller is a pain...

It's a tiller, but I've got a TrollMaster Pro2 wired in the boat for throttle control and have it rigged up to the 115 for steering.

All I want to do is wire in a switch on the console for starting and I'll be all set.