Walleye Closer....

manitoubass2

After dealing with funerals all week, we decided to celebrate my sons birthday a few days late. I asked him what he wanted to do today, and he said fishing!!! Atta boy, lol.

I was supposed to fish a derby today, and the conditions were perfect, but I said heckwithit, lets go fishing from the shore guys.

So I rigged up there rods and we headed down. It was windy and overcast, but pretty mild. Nice looking walleye weather.

So my oldest boy takes his first cast, and he gets bit on the shakeyhead right away!!! Not a big fish, but a nice chunky lil female, and his first of the year!

kidsfishingapril142012005.jpg

kidsfishingapril142012003.jpg

kidsfishingapril142012004.jpg

He casted around for a few more minutes, then set the hook on a really nice bite! He looked like a pro clapping.gif. This time it's a good fish, and his new personal best!!!!

kidsfishingapril142012007.jpg

kidsfishingapril142012008.jpg

A few more casts, same thing. A nice keeper for the plate tonight.

kidsfishingapril142012010.jpg

So, now it's my other Jiggers turn (my sons nickname, lol) He got bit after a few casts, and its another one for the table!!

kidsfishingapril142012012.jpg

NExt up is my youngest boy, and within a few casts, he sets the hook!!! It looks like a good one, but it's always tough to tell with kids. "Dad, it's pulling really hard"!!!!

kidsfishingapril142012014.jpg

I laughed abit as I got the net ready (I was purely a spectator today) and I seen the fish jump near shore!!! "Whoa dude, you got a really nice one"!!!!!

Into the net she goes, and its my sons new personal best!!!!

kidsfishingapril142012015.jpg

kidsfishingapril142012016.jpg

All around, what an awesome closer!! The best I can remember. I'm so proud, and what an awesome way to spend a few hours on my sons b-day. It's gonna be scary to see how good of anglers they'll be in a few more years....

thumbsup_anim.gifthumbsup_anim.gifthumbsup_anim.gif

Wow!!! You really should be proud of your sons... In a few years they'll be teaching you new tricks and taking you to their spots... Awesome walleyes all around and congrats to the boys for their PB eyes.

I am very proud!

And yep, thats exactly it, they'll be teaching me stuff all the time I bet. And I'll be the old man saying "when I was younger......." clapping.gif

If I could fish them from shore,I would trade my pin in for a walleye set up.Then again,I would release them.LOL

Nice fish and good outing. :thumbsup_anim:

haha, thats awesome!

We kept 3 for the dinner plate (the smaller ones). I don't keep alot of fish, only a few feeds a year. I'd much rather see those big girls go spawn!!!!!

and many thanks, glad you guys enjoy the report! Supper is on, cake is ready, I got a beer and the hockey game is on, perfect evening!!!!!

dude you are soooo lucky to have what you have when it comes to fishing! congrats and happy belated to your son.

Yep, we are blessed!

And thank you for the wishes.

Here is how we spent the rest of our night...

Fish is cooking, burgers are on the BBQ, pan fries on as well

kidsfishingapril142012017.jpg

Burgers are ready, the kids are waiting on the rest of the food

kidsfishingapril142012021.jpg

Daddy and his boy!

kidsfishingapril142012025.jpg

Daddy, Mommy and baby Lily

kidsfishingapril142012031.jpg

After supper, the kids worked off some calories on the trampoline

kidsfishingapril142012032.jpg

kidsfishingapril142012045.jpg

Cake time!!!! Mon this cake was delicious, turtle oreo ice cream cake from DQ

kidsfishingapril142012048.jpg

Tasty

kidsfishingapril142012055.jpg

Baby even gets a treat!

kidsfishingapril142012060.jpg

All in all, it was an amazing day!!!!!! The kids had a blast, and so did I. This was a great day...

kidsfishingapril142012066.jpg

Ok that's just rubbing it in now ;) Let's see, 10 minute walk vs couple of hours drive...

You guys are SO lucky I'm pretty envious lol

Limey is really lucky! He has to walk for a minute, I have to walk for 3 minutes.

1 minute to the bass spot, 10 minutes to the pike spot...

It's hard to be us, lol thumbsup_anim.gif

Limey is really lucky! He has to walk for a minute, I have to walk for 3 minutes.

1 minute to the bass spot, 10 minutes to the pike spot...

It's hard to be us, lol thumbsup_anim.gif

Yup...its a tough life.

Hey Rick...awesome pictures! Thanks for sharing a slice of your life down there.

I'd love to have you guys up sometime. Plenty of room for the whole clan to run around, might even get to do some tubing if the water is warm :thumbsup_anim: Jack would certainly love the company too.

Yup...its a tough life.

Hey Rick...awesome pictures! Thanks for sharing a slice of your life down there.

I'd love to have you guys up sometime. Plenty of room for the whole clan to run around, might even get to do some tubing if the water is warm :thumbsup_anim: Jack would certainly love the company too.

No problem, my pleasure! We had an awesome day, but then again, we do this all the time, lol.

For sure we'll come up your way sometime this year, my kids would love to hang with Jack as well! They have some nephews and nieces, as well as a 1.5 year old sister, so they know the ropes. My daughter Alexis is really good with kids, a big bonus.

Let me know when, and we'll drive up for the day, even if it's just to let the kids play and share a meal

and tubing would be a great treat! It's been a few years for me. I love tubing, skiing and whatever else I can get hurt doing! clapping.gif

Edited by manitoubass2

No problem, my pleasure! We had an awesome day, but then again, we do this all the time, lol.

For sure we'll come up your way sometime this year, my kids would love to hang with Jack as well! They have some nephews and nieces, as well as a 1.5 year old sister, so they know the ropes. My daughter Alexis is really good with kids, a big bonus.

Let me know when, and we'll drive up for the day, even if it's just to let the kids play and share a meal

and tubing would be a great treat! It's been a few years for me. I love tubing, skiing and whatever else I can get hurt doing! clapping.gif

Your on, we'll head out and get supper while the kids play!

Could not upload anything on my work computer last night...so here are my pics a little late.

That 21" hit seconds after saying "i dont think i'll get any big ones"......lol...not the worlds largest but she hit like a frieght train and inhaled a 5" sucker minnow....same colour as your shaky head worms! She was hooked deep, but swam away after a pic, hope she was ok.

Jack did not join me last night...he was reading books with mum in his jammies...he can see me from the couch though. Roloff was with me, he's a good swimmer and curious about fish....lol. Hope you dont mind me posting here. Cheers

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mL3KVnqSFa4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Your on, we'll head out and get supper while the kids play!

Could not upload anything on my work computer last night...so here are my pics a little late.

That 21" hit seconds after saying "i dont think i'll get any big ones"......lol...not the worlds largest but she hit like a frieght train and inhaled a 5" sucker minnow....same colour as your shaky head worms! She was hooked deep, but swam away after a pic, hope she was ok.

Jack did not join me last night...he was reading books with mum in his jammies...he can see me from the couch though. Roloff was with me, he's a good swimmer and curious about fish....lol. Hope you dont mind me posting here. Cheers

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mL3KVnqSFa4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Def. sounds like a plan!!!!

I don't mind you posting that here at all man!!! The more the merrier.

Thats a nice walleye, nice and clean looking!!!

Yesterday, the kids caught on that shakeyhead, and a few on jigs with 5" minnows as well. They sure are hungry right now

Def. sounds like a plan!!!!

I don't mind you posting that here at all man!!! The more the merrier.

Thats a nice walleye, nice and clean looking!!!

Yesterday, the kids caught on that shakeyhead, and a few on jigs with 5" minnows as well. They sure are hungry right now

Its a bit of a tease now its closed, cuz yeah...they are hungry.....those big minnows were left over from my Eagle lake adventures last week, they would go for the biggest minnow you could find in yer bucket! By my 3rd trip out last week i had mostly 6" suckers with me. the crappie and bass are open and i will be trying for pike too, so i can still service my addiction....not to mention lakers....yeah...might take jack up to Thunder lake to shore fish a laker or two.

Its a bit of a tease now its closed, cuz yeah...they are hungry.....those big minnows were left over from my Eagle lake adventures last week, they would go for the biggest minnow you could find in yer bucket! By my 3rd trip out last week i had mostly 6" suckers with me. the crappie and bass are open and i will be trying for pike too, so i can still service my addiction....not to mention lakers....yeah...might take jack up to Thunder lake to shore fish a laker or two.

Yeah, I'm pretty bummed the season is closed. But we did have a great start to the year, thats for sure! The early ice out started things off with a bang. Last year was the first year I never landed a 10+lb walleye, this year I've already got 5, with the biggest girl being a 31" beast full of eggs

Never weighed her, but I bet she was close to 12lbs.

I'll be targeting pike for a few weeks now. There done spawning here and hungry! Yesterday my son landed a nice 40" pike near the shore that hit like a bat outta hell. Just a quick release though as it was on light tackle, so we never got a pic.

I still gotta get out for lakers man, my oldest boy has 6 already I think? I've never caught one at all, lol. There are some good lakers up Cedar Narrows though, so I'll be trying at some point this year.

I was gonna go search for crappie today, but I'm just too tired from all the weekend festivities, lol. Grandpa's coming up for supper as well, so were just gonna play some baseball out in the yard, watch some hockey and chill.