Fishing gear in a sanctuary?

Dave Bailey

Something I haven't seen in the regulations is the legality of having fishing gear in a sanctuary. I know that having weapons in a no hunting area, and/or out of season, can be considered 'prima facie' evidence of hunting, and you could be charged. But as long as it isn't being used is it legal to transition through a sanctuary with fishing gear? Should it have terminal tackle removed? Should it be stowed away somewhere? I would probably remove any lures or hooks, but is it really necessary?

I don't think there's anything illegal with walking through a sanctuary with your gear to get to an open section of river.

Don't think so either, but I would like to be certain. I definitely wouldn't want hooks dangling over the side of the boat even if they're not in the water, better to remove them to be safe.

I would think that if lures were removed and stored, and you were not in a boat or on the bank 'fishing', there would be no problem transporting the equipment through the sancturay, to reach a destination on the other side.

Then that famous word "DISCRETION'' comes into play.dunno.gif Depends on the CO and the circunstances.

I don't know why anyone would want to be found with fishing equipment in a sanctuary. As Bill said, if the only way to legal fishing grounds is through a sanctuary, make sure that are fishing equipment is stored and not readily available for use.

Dave,

I just got off the phone with a CO with a question I had about season closing, so I thought I'd ask your question as well.

Just so everyone knows(in case you've wondered yourself, if the season closes April 14th, you can still fish that day until 11:59pm, according to the MNR. I had always believed you couldn't do that???

Anyhow, where I live, alot of sanctuaries are located in unmarked boundaries on a body of water. So I ask your question and he said sure you can walk through the sanctuary, as long as the destination is a valid place to fish. It's no different then crossing a santuary in your boat, to access another part of that lake, or another body of water

Edited by manitoubass2

Dave,

I just got off the phone with a CO with a question I had about season closing, so I thought I'd ask your question as well.

Just so everyone knows(in case you've wondered yourself, if the season closes April 14th, you can still fish that day until 11:59pm, according to the MNR. I had always believed you couldn't do that???

Anyhow, where I live, alot of sanctuaries are located in unmarked boundaries on a body of water. So I ask your question and he said sure you can walk through the sanctuary, as long as the destination is a valid place to fish. It's no different then crossing a santuary in your boat, to access another part of that lake, or another body of water

Excellent, thank you for the official clarification!

Excellent, thank you for the official clarification!

No problem!

If you have any other questions that are important, just give them a call to clarify. They are very nice and very helpful.

Nothing wrong with asking questions on here either, but when it comes to the law, call your local office and ask to speak with a CO. That way there is no misinterpretation.

Went through one of these dilemmas not too long ago..

Went to launch my canoe at a dam in the Kawarthas, and of course, you gotta walk all your rods and tackle to the water. Felt like I was doing wrong, and multiple cars stopped by in the distance to see what was going on but I knew I wasn't about to do anything wrong and continued with my day.

As for walking a few of the fish I caught back to the car from the canoe.... I guess that was probably questionable, although I'd be really surprised if you could pull bunch of crappies out of a dam at this time of year :P

Edited by EC1

I hiked a section of a river a few days ago to take pictures of Steelhead spawning. The area is closed and I found 3 fishing rods and a tackle box on the bank at the bottom of someones backyard.

I wrote 'NO FISHING' in the dirt with a stick right beside the gear but I doubt it will help.

Reminds me of this old joke:

A man andhis wife go to their weekend getaway in the mountains where the husband likesto fish and the wife likes to read

the husbandcame home early one day from fishing and went to bed

the wifedecided now would be her chance to go out on the boat and read

so she did

she didn'tknow the lake very well so she just layed anchor anywhere and began to read

along came aofficer and told her "what are you doing?"

"reading"said the woman

"thisis a restricted fishing area"

"buti'm not fishing"

"thatmay be true but you have all of the equipment so i will have to take youin"

"if youdo that i will charge you with rape" the woman says

"but ididn' touch you"

"thismay be true but you have all of the right equipment"