Line for baitcaster

taper

I am going to look at a new rod and reel tonight. Mainly for pike but want it to be able to handle musky as well, so I am looking for a baitcaster. I don't do a lot of trolling mainly casting. I really like power pro but this is my first baitcaster so I am wondering if I should stick with mono until I get the hang of it. What do you guys recommend.

Go with 80 pound PP taper, and just take it easy till you get the hang of it.

Baitcasters aren't nearly as tempermental as alot of folks make them out to be and you'll get the hang of it in no time.

When your casting larger musky sized baits and get a backlash, the 80 # will keep your line from snapping.

Edited by lew

Golfisher, it's not so much for the fish, but to prevent line breakage due to backlash.

Musky baits are generally quite heavy, and if you get a backlash while using too light line, it'll snap and you'll lose the bait, which isn't a good thing considering the price of them. Nothing worse than seeing a $50 bait sailing off into the sunset :w00t:

The heavier line also helps to control the fish and make her go where YOU want, not where SHE wants ;)

AT lesat 50lb power pro, but 65 or 80(as lew said)is probably best. I think its better to use a tough braid while learning fora a couple reasons, 1. Less breakage 2. When you have a birdsnest you can often PULL the knots out with brute force (of course this sometimes means you will make the knot tighter)

With mono you will strech line, or break it whiel tryign to forcefully undo birdsnests.