Which type of battery

RickOnt

Boat has three batteries two for the MinnKota and one for starting and running the electronics.

Bilge pump,livewell pumps,lights and graph/GPS

Could or should I use a Deep Cycle here or a combo Deep Cycle/Cranking battery.

What is the difference between a deepcycle and adeepcycle/cranking battery?

Thanks

Rick

what is the size of your outboard? a true deep cycle usually has 220cca or less of cranking power but lots of reserve for running electronics and can be near drained and recharged countless times.

the dual purpose batterys typically have a lower reserve capacity but a higher cca and shouldn't be drained as as far down as a true dc battery.

that being said i run a 27 series dp (dual purpose) to crank over my 150 evinrude and it runs a hds-8 lowrance hummingbird fisihfinder and a talon and have fished all day without any issues, did 6 hours in the cold the other day and battery voltage never dropped below 12.2 and engine started no prob

You would be fine with just a starting battery.. The only load you may have is the live well pump ( assuming your bilge pump doesnt run too much !)

If your planning on running the live well a lot and not planning on running the engine for hours, then I would go with the starting/ deep cycle.

All your electronics, pumps and lighting should run off your starting battery. The deep cycle should only be used for the trolling motor. Some people have found interference with rigging their electronics to the deep cycle due to the inconsistant draw from on and off the trolling motor. I try to get away with the biggest deep cycles possible. I personally like the Optima's deep cycle and starting batteries but expensive. It's still not as expensive as the new Lithium Ion batteries that are coming out on the market. Imagine a 36V battery that only weighs in at 87lbs lol for a low price of $2700+ :rofl2:

Thanks FF

I think the Group27 will do the job. What make/brand did you get? What was the CCA?

Rick

It was their brand Marine Deep Cycle 150 Min Reserve. $79.95+ Tax $90.34

Their Phone# 1 877 549 4454 or 905 549 4454

Edited by Fish Farmer

If your deep cycle battery is always being charged by the engine you will take the life out of deep cycle. It is not ment to be have a constant charge all the time. If you look at a 27 group cranking battery it will have as much reserve capacity as a 27 group deep cycle with more cranking amps. Unless you are hooking a deep cylce to a trolling motor you should use a cranking battery. Was told this by the interstate battery guy that drops the batteries off where I work.

When I used a starting battery for all the electronics plus cranking the outboard I would get about 4 years out of my battery....then I tried a dual purpose battery (Delco Voyager) and I got 9 years out of it...actually just changed it out because I thought my luck might run out in the middle of Lake Erie.....so 2 years ago I purchased another Dual Purpose Battery but I couldn't find another Delco Voyager around here.... :wallbash:

Acme battery has good prices, and loved the deka depp cycles I got there, but I had zero luck with their brand Great Northern Battery, I had 2 crap out in the boat and one crap out in the car, swithed to interstate, there is a warehouse in stoney creek that someone posted last year and so far so good, 2 trolling motor batteries and my truck battery going strong as well

Acme battery has good prices, and loved the deka depp cycles I got there, but I had zero luck with their brand Great Northern Battery, I had 2 crap out in the boat and one crap out in the car, swithed to interstate, there is a warehouse in stoney creek that someone posted last year and so far so good, 2 trolling motor batteries and my truck battery going strong as well

I posted that. Did they carry the deep cycles at the shop as refurb's or did you order a new one? The guy working there is a stand up guy and really knows his stuff. Infact, he admired the fact that I was interrogating him about battery maintenance.