Waders Do Not Make You Drown

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

and if one finds oneself about to go over a small drop, let's say anything over 7 feet, tuck when you go over for the same reason as above.

thanks for the added safety tips woodenboater.

Good to know that they aren't an automatic death sentence... I somewhat thought this too and really scared myself a few times, not falling in, but feeling like I was losing control in a fast river. I thought for sure I'd be a gonner... And a lot of people told me its SUPER dangerous.

Agreed with those that said first hand experience (contolled environment) would be the best way to avoid panic in a real life situation.

Agreed, and I say this from experience. A deep fast flowing river is a far cry from a swimming pool.

Also it depends a lot on the type of waders. Neoprenes wouldn't hinder you at all. They're more form fitting and are in fact bouyant.

Loose, billowing nylon, breathable or even worse rubber waders, especially without a wading belt cinched up tight are a major hindrance if you fall into deep fast water.

Again this comes from personal experience.

I saw my good bud Dave Fernie 'step' into a deep hole on the Bighead in November! All I heard was "save my rod" as they filled up, he got out and after a good fire we dried him out. A nude dude in November is classic. John Kerr was not there, if he was he'd probably would have said, let the dummy go!

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Also undertows are deadly. People die no matter what, and even life jackets are no help. Saw it happen just 20 feet in front of me for two cases.

undertow, hydraulics, lowhead dams etc. are definite killers waders or not.

Just as a side note, why wear waders if youre in a boat?

Waders keep you 100% dry. I don't have a really good pair of rain gear. So if it's raining hard, I've often thrown on my waders to keep dry. Specially during may 24 camping, when it's cold..

I've gone under wearing my waders while duck hunting more than once. No problem.. They didn't cause me to sink any faster.

Edited by N.A.W

No experience with waders and air but I do with drysuits.

If one forgets to 'burp' their drysuit, then much of the air in the suit could end up trapped below your pfd. Not a good thing as it means the air will bring your feet and legs up, exactly what you don't want to happen.

Before I get in my canoe, I wade into waist deep water, crouch down and pull back my neck seal a bit to let the air escape. Kinda makes for a cling wrap but it expels most of the air. Pretty well all my paddling friends do likewise.

So I'm guessing air in waders and a very tight belt *could* do similar but that's just a guess.

and yeah Doc, most fisherman aren't going to go over a pourover/drop, I was kinda on a roll typing things up and couldn't stop ;)

While we're talkin safety

My buddy is a whitewater canoer

Always told me--if you fall in fast water--tuck your knees under your chest---if your foot gets caught in a limb or a rock---you can't fight current to stay upright

Wow, thats an eye opener for sure, scary scene.

While we're talkin safety

My buddy is a whitewater canoer

Always told me--if you fall in fast water--tuck your knees under your chest---if your foot gets caught in a limb or a rock---you can't fight current to stay upright

I was told to lie as straight as possible and float feet first down stream.

That way if you hit a rock you will hit it with you feet instead of your head. Keeping your body straight reduces the chances of catching your tail bone on a rock.

I saw my good bud Dave Fernie 'step' into a deep hole on the Bighead in November! All I heard was "save my rod" as they filled up, he got out and after a good fire we dried him out. A nude dude in November is classic. John Kerr was not there, if he was he'd probably would have said, let the dummy go!

I took a swim in the Bighead this past December, stepped on a rock that looked "wet" but with the sub zero temps it was ice. My wading belt and waterproof jacket with cuffs and waste band zipped tight kept me almost perfectly dry except for a real wet hat.

I was told to lie as straight as possible and float feet first down stream.

That way if you hit a rock you will hit it with you feet instead of your head. Keeping your body straight reduces the chances of catching your tail bone on a rock.

Tbh, I've never really heard the knee chest thing applied to whitewater paddling except for going over drops. A lot depends on the speed of current and depth of water. If it's only a foot or two, I have no probs/issues standing up and have done so on trips. I also paddle with people whom I trust with my life and they trust me with theirs. Anything waist high and over, yes, you're getting into troublesome territory with foot entrapments.

Trees, trunks and limbs and such are another matter and are more of a worry to me than foot entrapments. Getting caught in a sieve/strainer can and has killed, so avoidance is the primary goal if one encounters a tree fallen across a fast moving river.

Of course, the above may not neccesarily apply to wading on a trout stream or river but understanding river morphology is important for safety and for understanding where your finned prey like to hang out.

Sorry I've strayed OT from waders and safety :)