Is it still true?

Baldy

There was a saying that I first heard 30 or so years ago that stated "10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish that are caught" and I fully believed it.

Has the influence of the internet and the many TV fishing shows and fishing magazines changed this at all?

Is the average angler catching consistently more fish which would change the ratio to 30 or 40% for example or is every angler catching more fish and the ratio has stayed the same?

Or has this changed only on the waters where great catches are reported on internet message boards?

If this has changed is it directly influenced by the information on techniques and skills, new products and baits? Or is it more as a result of anglers reporting on the internet that 'perch are biting', 'the steelhead are running' etc. causing more anglers to get out to their local water mostly when conditions are good and the chances of catching fish are greater?

I seldom hear this saying anymore and have often wondered if it is still true and if not why has it changed.

I believe that the average angler is catching more fish now more than ever. With not just the information available on the net but the technology as a whole. From better rods, reels, lines, sonars, gps, new lures, etc. This has all put the odds better in the sportsman corner. Most anglers have their circle of knowledge also when it comes to fishing certain areas or lakes and when good information or techniques are learned and shared it makes them a better angler and result in more fish caught. On the other hand I also think more anglers are catch and release or practicing selected harvest with the new regs and education about our great fishing resources.

Like Blake I think the average angler may be better informed and has access to better equipment. The television programs and the web make information easier to get. I don`t think the numbers have changed that much though, there are fishermen, and people that fish, some don`t put in the effort.

I don't know what the percentages are, but a small number of anglers are certainly the ones that catch the vast majority of the biggest fish on a regular basis.

We often hear about an inexperienced fisherman going down to a dock, or heading out randomley in a boat and catching a large fish, but if that big fish isn't sitting at the end of the dock, or under his boat, he doesn't know where else to go or what to look for to find that biggun.

An experienced fisherman will understand the habits of the fish he's after and will have a plan in his head before he even leaves home in the morning. He'll know where the fish SHOULD be holding depending on the time of day, the weather and even the different seasons.

It takes no skill at all to fluke into a big fish from a dock or find one sitting under your boat wherever you happen to drop the anchor, but it DOES take skill to know what to look for and where to go and find big fish consistentely, and that's where many fishermen fail, because they don't know what to do when plan "A" fails

A small percentage definetely catch the most and biggest on a consistant basis.

Time on the water is how you catch fish. People can read all the mags and watch all the DVDs but it's just theoretical knowledge. It definitely helps to learn techniques and presentations etc.... but the guys who catch the most fish are the guys that spend the most time on the water. The hardest part is finding the fish the rest is basic, IMO.