Need your help in picking my 1st waders

mirogak

Hey gang,

Just getting ready for my latest hobby "fly fishing" and would love your help in picking out my first set of waders.

Went to Le Baron and tried these comfy and durable looking waders by Bare called Adam's waders. They were for $275

http://www.baresport...ders/Adams/Mens

Then drove to BassPro in Vaughan and saw these two

White River extreme waders. Normally for $199 but now on sale for $149

http://www.basspro.c...uct/90615/98914

Simms for $199

http://www.basspro.c...10205276/145261

I am looking for good value; a decent compromise between $$ I spend and the value I get out of them. I will probably use them only 10-15 times a year, mainly in the summer and early fall. Yes, I am looking for the stocking-foot kind, and not the one with boots attached.

Would appreciate your feedback.

Thanks,

Miro

I like my Simms waders. If there is a good thing to say about the white river waders it's that If they leak you take them back, when they leak again you take them back again. I have exchanged 3-4 Pairs with no problem.

Never had a problem with my Simms.

I really like the bares I bought off of you.

I also like the white river pant style I bought with the neoprene boot.

No I didnt get there this morning Ryan. :wallbash:

The key with waders is getting a pair with warranty. I don't care what kind you get, or what brand, you will get a leak sooner or later. I've learned my lesson buying expensive waders, only to get a leak, and have to pay big money for a new set.

Now, I order mine from cabela's, and when i get a leak, I send them back for a new pair, free of charge. I'm pretty sure the redhead brand from BPS has a similar warranty.

I haven't bought waders in years!

S.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i have NOTHING bad to say about cabelas waders... i literally beat the crap out of my last pair over the past 5 years while using them for both fishing and doing all kinds of bush bashing with the DFO. Were I to recommend an economical pair I would say go cabelas all the way.

i did just buy "expensive" waders but that's because they were a reward to myself for quitting smoking and going on a spring detox. there's no better way to detox than steelheading! like sinker said, if you're gonna go off trail at all, you're going to put holes in waders no matter the brand.

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

The key with waders is getting a pair with warranty. I don't care what kind you get, or what brand, you will get a leak sooner or later. I've learned my lesson buying expensive waders, only to get a leak, and have to pay big money for a new set.

Now, I order mine from cabela's, and when i get a leak, I send them back for a new pair, free of charge. I'm pretty sure the redhead brand from BPS has a similar warranty.

I haven't bought waders in years!

S.

Yeah they are,but they fit like crap.

Waders are a tricky subject. Simms and Patagonia make the best breathable waders for sure. They are heavy though and it's due to multiple real Gortex layers. I would be suspicious of cheap Simms because they will be imports for $200 and are likely to be similar to Cabelas and BPS house brands. Simms does offer a warranty but they must be shipped back to the USA for repair and it's not free. They are other quality imports like Bare. I saw the waders you are looking at from LeBarons and they looked very nice but they are $275. For me fishing from a kickboat the knees go in all of the cheaper waders but the Simms are too heavy in the summer heat so that defeats the purpose of comfortable dry fishing. I have had multiple White River waders and they are cheap waders that last about 3 months in my boat. I then get them replaced under warranty but you will only get one replacement per purchase from BPS in my experience. I get them for about $79-$99 on sale and look at it as a disposable product like most clothing you wear a lot. This year I saw that Cabelas.ca had the Cabelas Dry Plus breathables for $99 CDN so I bought them because of the price$99 /shipping @ $12. It seems like a good deal and I would say they are a step up 1 grade from the White Rivers from BPS. They are light, which is good for comfort but probably bad for durability so I expect that I will be replacing them under warranty mid year. I think if I was only wading streams I would be tempted to shop those Bares as they seem to be durable and you might get some long time use out of them (I probably wouldn't). Check the Bare warranty out thoroughly as Bares were my first breathables about 15 years ago and they let me down on warranty claim (2 warranty claims actually). Quality back then for their breathables was pathetic (good neoprenes however) but with the exception of Simms all the breathables at that time were a joke.

Edited by Snidley

I have a pair of the White River ones - not the same as your link, I think they were about $120 a couple of years ago. They're great, and do everything i need i.e. keep me dry. I went cheaper as I do a lot of walking through the bush and I probably have more chance of getting a hole from a sharp stick or thorns than a seam leak, most warranties won't cover a puncture from something sharp (Simms will if it's in the first year of owning them) and if they do develop a seam leak, a tube of Aquaseal is less $ than the gas to BPS to exchange them.

Your choice of wader boots is probably more imporant - I have Orvis felt soled boots which are very good, felt has the best grip but if you're fishing different bodies of water on two consecutive days it may help transfer invasive species unless you can dry them out, this has lead to the Vibram style grippy rubber soles - am reading varying reports on whether they are as good as or worse than felt, haven't tried them so can't offer an opinion. Felt is also a pain when fishing in winter as snow will build up on the sole when they're wet. The other option is Korkers which have changeable soles, probably what I'd go for next time.

Edited by cuzza