Looking for a great fishing and grouse hunt get-away

siwash

Hi folks,

Been ages since I post last.. A group of 6 to 8 friends and family are planning a trip in Sept (20-23) and we're looking for a great fishing camp with decent cottages and boat rentals. A few of us are grouse hunters and since the season will have started by then, we'd like to do some hunting too... We'd prefer to keep the drive to within 5 hours +/-.. 6 is possible if it's a really good spot. So far we are considering Herridge Lake, GoBushKon (Gowanda?) Outpost Lodge, and Maiden Bay Camp and maybe Lake Air (seems a bit pricier)

Thoughts on these places? Any other places? I'd really like to get on some trails/logging roads for some partridge!!

As for fish, walleye, pike and bass would be great and trout a bonus..

Thanks.. I'd very much appreciate the input!

:thumbsup_anim:

Mind being water access?? (only 3/4 mile from town) If you don't.. I may be able to set something up for you on Lake Temagami.. 3 bedroom cottage, boat rental from the guy that looks after the cottage (fully insured and legal boats) and a possible guide for the grouse hunt, if Jim's still in town by then.

Hopefully I'll still be there at that time of year and could do a couple Laker charters for you as well.

Check out this post of mine from last September.

I know this is a lot further than you wanted to go, but honestly it was amazing.

My buddy who is an avid hunter said it was by far the best bird shooting of his life.

Nobody up there hunts them, the population is huge and what really blew him away were the amount of sharptails.

According to him he has friends that fly out west to hunt them and this experience was better.

As far as the fishing goes it was fantastic. The cabins are decent, prices are cheap and the hosts John and Karen are great.

VERY highly recommended!

http://ontariofishingcommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=58242&st=0&p=637672&hl=Nakina&fromsearch=1entry637672

Check out this post of mine from last September.

I know this is a lot further than you wanted to go, but honestly it was amazing.

My buddy who is an avid hunter said it was by far the best bird shooting of his life.

Nobody up there hunts them, the population is huge and what really blew him away were the amount of sharptails.

According to him he has friends that fly out west to hunt them and this experience was better.

As far as the fishing goes it was fantastic. The cabins are decent, prices are cheap and the hosts John and Karen are great.

VERY highly recommended!

http://ontariofishingcommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=58242&st=0&p=637672&hl=Nakina&fromsearch=1entry637672

Wow, that looks amazing... but how far is that? We only have 4 days - maybe need closer to week for that place. Im saving that in my favs.

Thanks

Mind being water access?? (only 3/4 mile from town) If you don't.. I may be able to set something up for you on Lake Temagami.. 3 bedroom cottage, boat rental from the guy that looks after the cottage (fully insured and legal boats) and a possible guide for the grouse hunt, if Jim's still in town by then.

Hopefully I'll still be there at that time of year and could do a couple Laker charters for you as well.

Send me a PM of email me at [email protected]

Pics and more info (rates) would be good... who owns the cottage?

lots of good trails for partridge hunting near Herridge Lake lodge. Also plenty of walleye spots out there.

Do you need to hit those back lakes they advertise or are the walleye (and other species) abundant in the main lake (Herridge)? It gets pricey once you add trips to the back lakes... you have to go with guides...

Thanks!

I find the lakes in that area impossible to catch anything during the day...but the mornings and evenings are top-notch for walleye.

It might be worth guiding into back lakes, or pick another nearby lodge/lake. How about Olive the Lake? Good pike in there. At least you'll catch something during the day....plus it's a bit closer of a drive. Wilson Lake cottages is another option. I have no idea what the cottages are like, but the lake gets almost no pressure from the public because there is no public access.

the one on roosevelt rd is. I've been meaning to hit that this year.

The other one is on Wilson Lake Road, north of Gramps Bait. Lots of nearby trails to hunt grouse too.

Where are these places, fellas? Same area? I'm getting confused!! :)

Olive Lake is just north of Marten River. Wilson Lake and Herridge Lake are further north by maybe 20 or 30 kms. All three just east of Hwy11.

If you go to Wilson, let me know...I've been meaning to try that lake...with accesswhistling.gif The only public access is down a 30 foot rock cliff or through a swamp.

Olive Lake is just north of Marten River. Wilson Lake and Herridge Lake are further north by maybe 20 or 30 kms. All three just east of Hwy11.

If you go to Wilson, let me know...I've been meaning to try that lake...with accesswhistling.gif The only public access is down a 30 foot rock cliff or through a swamp.

For sure!! I am thinking it might be less pressured therefore better fishing... Does it have walleye too?

I am going to shoot them an email..

Thanks Cody

For sure!! I am thinking it might be less pressured therefore better fishing... Does it have walleye too?

I am going to shoot them an email..

Thanks Cody

The lodge owners told me the walleye fishing was "ok"....they also knew I was looking to launch a canoe...which they don't want. The walleye fishing will be good in there, I'm very sure of that...if the other nearby lakes are any indicationwhistling.gif

Emailed Wilson's yesterday and no reply yet... I guess us city folk are used to quick replies! Maybe they shut down... come to think of it, a few places haven't gotten back to me...

Still searching and still eager to hear more recommendations to your fav spots!

Thanks!!

The lodge owners told me the walleye fishing was "ok"....they also knew I was looking to launch a canoe...which they don't want. The walleye fishing will be good in there, I'm very sure of that...if the other nearby lakes are any indicationwhistling.gif

This place doesn't even have an email... I am not going to bother to make a long distance call when everyone else will respond to email..

I have heard that Temagami is not that great to fish... it's hit n miss.. and big and challenging

This place doesn't even have an email... I am not going to bother to make a long distance call when everyone else will respond to email..

I have heard that Temagami is not that great to fish... it's hit n miss.. and big and challenging

Hey, we just got phones up here. What the hell is email?

The choice is yours, but a phone call is not hard to make.

The place I had in mind for you.. unavailable for those dates. :(

Thanks anyway!

Is it true that Temagami can be tough to fish, especially if you don't have a guide or are unfamiliar with it? Might be to big of a lake to tackle for first-timers...

Sounds like you're not interested in Temagami now anyhow, but if you are I may have another spot pending how many are in the party and what sleeping arrangements would be.

Sure it can be a tough nut to crack for pickeral.. but bass are under every piece of wood or rock.