My Final Ice Report...

Lip-ripper

A week ago we had 2 good feet of ice on the lake so we figured that even with the warm temps, this past weekend would provide us with one more opportunity to get out on the ice.

It did. Still a good foot of clear ice and 8 inches of white stuff remained so out to the cottage to target Walleye we went.

2012-03-17105048.jpg

We didn’t even have to cut holes as the ones from the weekend before were still open. As soon as I dropped the first line down, it got hammered and after a good fight with a few long runs, up came my season best laker!

2012-03-17090853-1.jpg

A few hours and a couple more lakers later, the rumble of thunder could be heard in the distance. Next thing we know, we are being bombarded by freezing rain, so it’s off to find some shelter while it passes.

2012-03-17141940.jpg

After the rain, the eerie fog rolled in. We kept expecting to see zombies emerge from it.

2012-03-17143344.jpg

About an hour later, my buddies jigging rod get hit hard, then has the line broken off just as quickly. Re-tied and back down he goes. Another half an hour passes and this beauty Northern makes an appearance.

2012-03-17140507-1.jpg

Soon after that I nab another laker, not huge but unique with very dark colours. You can see the Zombie fog still hanging around in the background…

2012-03-17160857.jpg

After that another small laker was caught an we ended up fishing well into the evening, but the walleye never made an appearance. All fish were released.

2012-03-17183817.jpg

We had a blast! We each got to catch a lunker and it was all-in-all a very successful, fun last trip! With the warm temps this week the sun has set on another great Ice season.

2012-03-17191308.jpg

Great job Ryan. I'm fishing some Quebec / Ontario boundary waters tomorrow and I have already called the MNR to confirm. I will bring my regs with me.

You'd better not catch any of those quebec walleye unless you have a quebec license. I don't know how you'll confirm with the fish whether he's been on the quebec side or not. whistling.giftongue.gif

"as soon as i dropped the line...." you gotta LOVE when that happens. Every time I drill a new hole, that's what I'm expecting.

Real dark fish from that lake! Thx for sharing.