14' Tinny

wormdunker

I'm looking to purchase a new 14' tinny for the small lakes I fish north of Sudbury. I'm looking at the Princecraft Yukon 15. It's 14'3" length with a 15" transom. Also available is the Yukon 20 (14'3", 20" transom). Both have 68" beam. What R your thoughts on the short shaft versus the long shaft? Also motor size? Max HP rating is 25HP. This sounds like alot of motor for a 14'. I'm leaning toward a 15HP Merc 4 stroke. Or should I move up to the 20 HP? Salesman states going from 15 HP - 20 HP is only a difference of 2-3 mph. Your comments are welcome. Does anybody own this particular boat? I would appreciate your input. I also looked at the Alumacraft. Similar specs to the Princecraft. Alumacraft's max HP rating is 20 HP. Weight of both is only a 5 lb difference. Please give me your thoughts. Thanx

I'm looking to purchase a new 14' tinny for the small lakes I fish north of Sudbury. I'm looking at the Princecraft Yukon 15. It's 14'3" length with a 15" transom. Also available is the Yukon 20 (14'3", 20" transom). Both have 68" beam. What R your thoughts on the short shaft versus the long shaft? Also motor size? Max HP rating is 25HP. This sounds like alot of motor for a 14'. I'm leaning toward a 15HP Merc 4 stroke. Or should I move up to the 20 HP? Salesman states going from 15 HP - 20 HP is only a difference of 2-3 mph. Your comments are welcome. Does anybody own this particular boat? I would appreciate your input. I also looked at the Alumacraft. Similar specs to the Princecraft. Alumacraft's max HP rating is 20 HP. Weight of both is only a 5 lb difference. Please give me your thoughts. Thanx

I don't know the boats,but from what I've heard is if possible always go to max HP. You'll never no when you have to get to shore in a hurry or if you add more people with added weight at least you can get on plane.

I don't think you can go wrong with either brand. As far as the HP question, you said this rig was for fishing small lakes. I personally would stick with the 15 hp, it's not like your going to be traveling long distances on these lakes. Around here, launching on some of our small lakes, the lighter the rig the better. IMHO

Personally, I would go with the 20" transom and 20- 25HP motor. I have a 15" transom and was considering building it up and getting a long shaft, but instead, im buying a new boat. When you troll backwards into the wind, the lower transom takes on water. Even in small lakes. My boat was 14.5 with a 20HP. 37klms/ hour maxed out at.

Buy a new Naden out of Temagami Boat Manufacturing Inc. I need to see some returns.... :whistling: PM me if you want a quote.

Heaviest 14'r is 265lbs

http://www.nadenboats.ca/models-canadianlaker.html

The 14' Fisherman is 240 lbs

http://www.nadenboats.ca/models-fisherman.html

The light fisherman is only 160lbs.

http://www.nadenboats.ca/models-lightfisherman.html

Edited by irishfield

Sorry I lied!! The 14' Princecraft is 30lbs (not 5lbs as stated above) heavier than the 14' Alumacraft with 20" transom. Trevy- At that speed how many guys & gear in the boat? What is the weight of your boat? I'm attempting to get this info from the dealers but not getting too far. The 1 dealer says if I'm not happy with the 20 HP bring it back he'll upgrade for me. Problem is if I go 25HP I would want electric start which is an additional $1,700.00 over the 20 HP pull start. Thanx for your replies.

Sorry I lied!! The 14' Princecraft is 30lbs (not 5lbs as stated above) heavier than the 14' Alumacraft with 20" transom. Trevy- At that speed how many guys & gear in the boat? What is the weight of your boat? I'm attempting to get this info from the dealers but not getting too far. The 1 dealer says if I'm not happy with the 20 HP bring it back he'll upgrade for me. Problem is if I go 25HP I would want electric start which is an additional $1,700.00 over the 20 HP pull start. Thanx for your replies.

Just 2 people in the boat with all the safety gear, 8 rods and reels, 2 big tackle bags, 1 battery, electric transom mount 55lb minn Kota.

I'm not sure the weight of my boat but it's a 1993 Grumman with a 93 Yamaha 20HP.

How do you put a 300lb,14 ft long,5ft wide boat on the roof of your cardunno.gif Not saying its not doable, just dont know how.

I use to load my 14.5' aluminum on top of my truck cap. It's not that bad

Edited by Dan Bouck

Buy a new Naden out of Temagami Boat Manufacturing Inc. I need to see some returns.... :whistling: PM me if you want a quote.

Heaviest 14'r is 265lbs

http://www.nadenboats.ca/models-canadianlaker.html

The 14' Fisherman is 240 lbs

http://www.nadenboats.ca/models-fisherman.html

The light fisherman is only 160lbs.

http://www.nadenboats.ca/models-lightfisherman.html

Wish there was a dealer down my way :(

I have a 14`Smoker Craft Big Fisherman Minn Kota on the Front Plywood floor & livewell & if I have too big of a guy with me I have trouble getting up on Plane with a 1986 25 Merc & no problem pull starting it, got the boat new & would put a bigger motor on it if I had to redo it, never planned on fishing big water but it`s been on Couchiching, Simcoe, Lake Huron, Rice, Nippissing, Nosbosing & many more over the years, things change & you might as well get something you can feel safe in if you decide to go on bigger water

Tight Lines My .02 SBKGonefishing.gif

There are a lot of variables that you have not mentioned. Do you usually fish alone? If not, how many will usually fish with you? Small lakes with a maximum of 5 km in length? Can you backup right into the water or do you have to drag your boat to get to water?

I have a 14 foot Espadon Cartopper (Princecraft). I guess if I really had to, I could carry it on my back. I can put it on the roof of my van if I have to however, I have a small homemade trailer and I don't even need to use a winch to get it on the trailer even if the trailer is not in the water. I usually fish alone and with my 7.5 h.p. Evinrude, it goes on plane and travels at 30 km/h with all of my equipment on board including big battery and electric motor. It's stable enough to fish standing but I have a good high back seat so I am already high enough for comfortable fishing. I fish a some lakes where I cannot back the trailer into the water but it's just a short drag to the water's edge. I often carry the Evinrude inside my van but on short trips where there are ramps, I leave the motor on the transom.

As you can see, a 14 cartopper is just fine for me. I also have a 9.9 Chrysler that I will be trying out this year to see if it is better when I have a 2 nd person with me. I never travel very far on the water anyway. I guess I use up no more than 60 to 100 liters of gas and I do a lot of fishing during a year.

If I did not fish alone so often, I would probably buy a 15 foot boat or a 14 foot jumbo and use a larger motor and then use my 14 foot Sportspal for the small lakes without boat ramps.

If I was sure to always have 2 or 3 fishermen, I would get a 16 foot jumbo with a 25 to 40 h.p.