Curado 200G6

bucktail

Well i read the reports of guys not being too impressed with the new Curado but they were on cheap last week at BPS and I have always been a Curado guy ( own 5 ) so I picked one up.

I have to admit it doesnt feel "tight". The gears feel like they are stamped poor quality metal. Since \\I dont feel like takiing the drill and some toothpaste I think its going back with me to BPS and Ill upgrade it to Chronarch.

Not that it was a bad reel but it just didnt feel tight like the older silver ones.

Just a heads up.

Good Choice! I would've done the same, unfortunatly it seems that the lowered price point has also brought about the lower quality in the reel (go figure). Thanks for the heads up, I just don't understand why they would do something to a reel that has such a good reputation??? The chronarch should be much better and should handle more like an actual "curado" and hopefully better.

Thanks!

S&C

Its just like everyting else.For companies to sell thier products to the average person, they have to be produced as inexpensively as possible. This means cheaper materials, more plastic, cheaper manufactureing facilities, and less stringent quality control.

Just look around at everything you own, from appliances to electronics.They ain't made like they used to be.dunno.gif

As I understand it, what we have here is a case of rebranding caused by the falling US dollar. The old Chronarch is gone. The new Chronarch is basically a slightly improved Curado, the new Curado is an improved Citica etc.

As I understand it, what we have here is a case of rebranding caused by the falling US dollar. The old Chronarch is gone. The new Chronarch is basically a slightly improved Curado, the new Curado is an improved Citica etc.

I've been doing a lot of reading about the new versus the old Curados and Citicas. The only positive thing that I have heard about the G series is that they are not as noisy when reeling under pressure. This means to me that there is plastic in there somewhere to reduce the noise. Metal to metal is always noisier because metal transfers vibrations better than plastic. Good lubrification will reduce the noise.

Those reels that are used in long distance casting really whine loud but they still manage close to 300 yards.

Edited by Dabluz

I had a friend that managed the fishing section of a Gander Mountain store in my area, when he heard Shimano was discontinuing the old style green reels he bought all their stock of them. Take a look on ebay, a mint used one can go for original cost.

A lot of the cost of developing a new reel is acquiring the proper tooling and parts for manufacture, once it is in place the cost of each produced drops. It`s kind of hard to jack up the price on an old design, so they roll out a new and improved one? They are also catching fish?

Ya if you can re badge the old ones and only produce one new model? It saves on costs to produce them.

Anyway....I'm in the process of wanting to buy a good baitcaster for casting 1/4 ounce lures and Shimano really is making things difficult for me to find something in the 150 dollar range. I was hoping to buy an E series Shimano on special when the next series of baitcasters came on the market.

I may buy a Quantum Smoke now for 200 dollars and put an end to my search.

• 2 weeks later...

What I love about the new lineup of reels is that I was too scared to try a new Chronarch so I bought a Core. The Core is such a nice lineup of reels. Yes there expensive but the difference is that the Core, Calais, & Stella are made in Japan. The products are still looking decent and performing well from what customers tell me however they can "feel" the difference. This is not a hit against Shimano just a wrong decision in hope of making more money, and maybe they will.

I love Shimano because the Curado was a quality made reel(not japan i know), the Chronarch was a dream, the Core was amazing and the Citica I would buy for any family member or friend. Now I just find it hard to suggest these reels to people, I dislike Shimano's curve and way of thinking.

I love G.Loomis because of the quality product they put out, let's hope this revolution Shimano is doing with there rods and reels doesn't get into the G.Loomis world too much. I love the addition of the NRX and the new GL2 series of rods, let's hope to see more improvements.

Congrads on the purchase bucktail, and thanks for starting this thread...opinions on getting rid of the Cork and switching to foam :P j/k

MTBF

Not a thing wrong with making a product to fit every price range. For folks who like a brand but can't afford spending a fortune on a top of the line model will appreciate being able to get something that fits their budget. Ur gonna sacrafice performance with lower costs, but most people know that. Its up to the company to produce a quality product at a lower cost. Shimano is getting there. Everyone is pissy about what they did, wait and see how they respond. No one gave anything but good reviews of the caenan for the price. Quantum makes some very good reels that come in at $130 and less.

There is now about a $150 to $200 hole in Shimano's casting reel line-up.

We are now faced with a jump from the $200.00 "new" Chronarch E model (Upgraded Curado) to the $350.00 to $400.00 Core (basically a magnesium version of the "old" Chronarch D model.)

Shimano usually wins the "Reel of the Year" honours at the I-Cast show in July.

I predict that in July we will see a brand new reel to fill this gap in their line-up. I also predict that it won't be an aluminium reel but instead another chunk of B2 Bomber plastic crap like the CI4 Stradic.

Does anyone else remember when we paid extra to get rid of the plastic parts???

Garry2rs

Im glad I bit the bullet last august and bought two of the old Chronarchs. I paid 250 each for them. I also grabbed a Curado 301 2011 model but had to pay full pop for that one. I think it was 275. I took the Curado on my salmon trip to B.C. last summer and it worked really well as my float reel for springs. I think I will call my reel guy and see if he has any old Chronarchs still kicking around. Not sure what MTBF was saying but all mt Curados were made in Japan.

Im glad I bit the bullet last august and bought two of the old Chronarchs. I paid 250 each for them. I also grabbed a Curado 301 2011 model but had to pay full pop for that one. I think it was 275. I took the Curado on my salmon trip to B.C. last summer and it worked really well as my float reel for springs. I think I will call my reel guy and see if he has any old Chronarchs still kicking around. Not sure what MTBF was saying but all mt Curados were made in Japan.

So what older Curado version were made in Japan? Was the 200E made there or the old D versions?

I would love a Core...simply because I like the feel of it in my hand compared to the Curado. As of yet, I haven't been able to justify the price. REcently just traded a float combo that I rarely use for a mint condition 201E7 Curado. It'll do. I guess. whistling.gifthumbsup_anim.gif

Looking at getting a baitcaster this year and this thread has been extremely helpful. Have one kinda OT question though. If I could only get one reel for cranks and spinnerbaits, would I be better with a high or low ratio ? I'm a lefty looking at Curados or Chronarchs.

tia

WB

I would love a Core...simply because I like the feel of it in my hand compared to the Curado. As of yet, I haven't been able to justify the price. REcently just traded a float combo that I rarely use for a mint condition 201E7 Curado. It'll do. I guess. whistling.gifthumbsup_anim.gif

Find a deal one one, fish with it for a nice long day and I'm sure at the end of the day you will say, ya this reel was worth the money...that 2oz difference is huge and you can feel it. Just saying, It is a jump but treat yourself one time. You will be glad you did.

Did they change the 300 as well, or did it stay the same?

Nope, still the same for now.

As said before you can always slow down but speeding up all day can be a real long day on your arms and wrists.

Dont be afraid of buying used ones, I have a couple reels used straight from Japan for great prices and amazing condition.

I have a Stella for 280$ thats a year old and not a scratch, might be radioactive but I will take my chances. Lots of guys sell there year olds and upgrade, you can score bigtime.