do I need some sort of lablity insurance

bramptonjerry

You are operating a motorized vessel on a public waterway. I'm still amazed that it is not a requirement considering just about every other motorized recreational vehicle, ie; skidoo, atv, require insurance Even though boater insurance is not mandatory at this time, good sense would dictate you have some manner of coverage

You are operating a motorized vessel on a public waterway. I'm still amazed that it is not a requirement considering just about every other motorized recreational vehicle, ie; skidoo, atv, require insurance Even though boater insurance is not mandatory at this time, good sense would dictate you have some manner of coverage

what sort, and how much do I need?

my bass boat is covered under my home policy about 100 bux extra a year, phone your insurance company your home policy covers you automatically depending on the size of your motor, my policy was no charge up to 25 hp then added extra from there

Why would operating a boat legally (regardless of the horse power motor) exclude you from the liability coverage on your house insurance if you were to injure someone accidentally?

From my understanding, as long as you are doing things legally (ie. operating a boat while not impaired, tossing a baseball with your son and having a mis-thrown ball cause an accident, etc...), you are covered in case of an accident.

I also asked this question to my insurance company regarding hunting. If I accidently shoot someone while hunting am I excluded from the personal liability coverage on my insurance policy. After having to confirm with their head office, they came back and said I would be covered (again, as long as I was not under the influence, and abiding by all laws, etc...). For this reason, I opted out of the OFAH membership fees when contiplating them for the liability coverage it provides.

As mentioned above, check with your insurance company and see if they can add it to your house insurance policy. With Meloche Monnex, it was included and it didn't even cost me anything extra given the value and specs of my boat.

Edited by Fish4Eyes

Why would operating a boat legally (regardless of the horse power motor) exclude you from the liability coverage on your house insurance if you were to injure someone accidentally?

From my understanding, as long as you are doing things legally (ie. operating a boat while not impaired, tossing a baseball with your son and having a mis-thrown ball cause an accident, etc...), you are covered in case of an accident.

I also asked this question to my insurance company regarding hunting. If I accidently shoot someone while hunting am I excluded from the personal liability coverage on my insurance policy. After having to confirm with their head office, they came back and said I would be covered (again, as long as I was not under the influence, and abiding by all laws, etc...). For this reason, I opted out of the OFAH membership fees when contiplating them for the liability coverage it provides.

Interesating point.... I always assumed that since it"s on your home it for for tings that happen at your home, you have separate liability on your car, mottorcycle...etc so why do you expect a boat to be different?

Unfortunately I doubt that if it actually came down to it you would have much luck proving that you were operating a firearm legally and as per safety standards if you shot someone.

Unfortunately I doubt that if it actually came down to it you would have much luck proving that you were operating a firearm legally and as per safety standards if you shot someone.

happened here...but I do hear you.

http://www.thestar.com/news/ontario/article/728419--deer-hunter-cleared-in-hiker-s-death

Edited by fisher