Aluminum Boat ???'s

Lunker777

Hey everyone ..... I posted a message a while back regarding a Crestliner boat I was looking at. I was doing the re-search for a friend. I just wanted to say THANK YOU to all that replied and helped with the decision. He DID end up with that boat and we are going to pick it up in about a week or so !!!

But now, I have a question...

I started getting hot over a new boat last year....

So I started looking at this model.... Polar kraft Dakota V 1778 WT..... Its paired with a 40 Etec, power trim, electric start....... Sticker is $11999 + tax out the door($13558 after tax ). E-tec comes with a 5 yrs warranty also.

He tells me he has a used 2008 model coming in.... he will be asking $8500($9605 after tax )... It only has a 25 Merc though.

So in 4 yrs.... the value of that boat has dropped $4000

If I were to finance the new boat over 5 yrs (length of motors warranty) .... would I be able to get $8000, even $9000 out of the package when it came time to sell ?

Just tossing around some ideas.....

Honestly no the sale price of a boat is the price you and a stranger agree on to complete the transaction. If you would not buy the boat for that amount then a stranger will not be willing to pay that amount. If you are talking trade in then you will really take a bath on the deal. Buy the boat you want to keep for years to come would be a better train of thought.

Art

Was surprised to hear from my dealer that they had 4 of 5 big E-tecs blow up on Ranger boats last year.

Apparently E-tecs are an option on Ranger bass boats even though the dealer is not a Bombardier dealer.

He told me they are a finely tuned engine that runs on a sharp edge. Doesn't take much to push them over the edge.

I had considered one on my Lund in 2007. Went instead with a Yammy 'cause it was a proven engine.

Glad I did.

I had the 1778 WB, good little boat... and plenty stable... I also had her maxed at 40hp with an Evinrude 2 stroke... never an issue with it! and the new owner is happy with her as well. you will want to put a floor in her etc... Good luck with the new boat!

G.

I had the 1778 WB, good little boat... and plenty stable... I also had her maxed at 40hp with an Evinrude 2 stroke... never an issue with it! and the new owner is happy with her as well. you will want to put a floor in her etc... Good luck with the new boat!

G.

What was the top speed , do you re-call ?

I'm a big fan of BRP products.. But I've read a lot of horror stories about the E-tec.. Some have great luck with them, some don't.. A buddy at work didn't.. I was considering buying a 25 or 30 HP last year until I googled "e-tec"... Played it safe and went with an ol' school 2-smoke.

Don't buy a new boat thinking of re-sale value!

"So in 4 yrs.... the value of that boat has dropped $4000"

I know mine is not all that sexy but at 3k my skinny 16.5/50hp is a keeper and will only appreciate, I know they day will come when the 80's boats come back in style.:whistling:

BRP products: what a joke of a business. They love to sell you stuff but just try and get paid by them if you work for them. Bombardier has bankrupted more businesses then I can count; THEY DON'T PAY. .. and to make things worst just take a look at the amount of money the Gov't has given them over the years.

rant over... back to work..... processing Boeing parts....

Edited by krixxer

BRP products: what a joke of a business. They love to sell you stuff but just try and get paid by them if you work for them. Bombardier has bankrupted more businesses then I can count; THEY DON'T PAY. .. and to make things worst just take a look at the amount of money the Gov't has given them over the years.

rant over... back to work..... processing Boeing parts....

You're mixing two companies up. BRP and Bombardier are completely separate companies. Bombardier sold off the outdoor product line about 10 years ago and they do not have any ownership interest in BRP.

Was surprised to hear from my dealer that they had 4 of 5 big E-tecs blow up on Ranger boats last year.

Apparently E-tecs are an option on Ranger bass boats even though the dealer is not a Bombardier dealer.

He told me they are a finely tuned engine that runs on a sharp edge. Doesn't take much to push them over the edge.

I had considered one on my Lund in 2007. Went instead with a Yammy 'cause it was a proven engine.

Glad I did.

It is a oiling issue been going on for a while now I know of about 10 or 11 blow ups of the e-tecs nice motor just dont run at 70 mph for more than 5 mins LOL

no different then my buddies ski doo's 600 efi 345 miles and kaboom, then his dads 403 miles and kaboom he trded in his wifes before the kaboom

Edited by skeeter99

You're mixing two companies up. BRP and Bombardier are completely separate companies. Bombardier sold off the outdoor product line about 10 years ago and they do not have any ownership interest in BRP.

are you sure about that

http://corp.brp.com/en-ca/homepage

seems to be brp sells engines/ski doos/bikes

BRP is a joint venture with 3 holders bain captial the bombardier family and the quebec pension fund managers

bain capatial 50%

bomabrdier 35%

QPP managers 15%

Edited by skeeter99

Gee.. and I tried to tell people the E-Tecs were blowing up in 2007 /2008 and everyone said I was full of .... Bombardier builds airplanes and trains.... BRP builds recreational products.

BRP was created in 2003.. and sold.. and sold again in 2004 to Camoplast. Sold is probably a farse.. side shuffle a more fitting description.

Edited by irishfield

Gee.. and I tried to tell people the E-Tecs were blowing up in 2007 /2008 and everyone said I was full of .... Bombardier builds airplanes and trains.... BRP builds recreational products.

BRP was created in 2003.. and sold.. and sold again in 2004 to Camoplast. Sold is probably a farse.. side shuffle a more fitting description.

In late August 2004 they sold the industrial vehicles division to the Camoplast company of Sherbrooke, Quebec. The industrial vehicles division made tracked utility vehicles such as snow grooming snowcats for skiing, sidewalk snow removal tractors and heavy duty tracked transporters, including the descendant of their original Muskeg tractor.

and i was the one who backed you up with the blow ups remember?

are you sure about that

http://corp.brp.com/en-ca/homepage

seems to be brp sells engines/ski doos/bikes

BRP is a joint venture with 3 holders bain captial the bombardier family and the quebec pension fund managers

Yes, the Bombardier family is not the Bombardier corporation. The Bombardier corporation does not hold any ownership interest in BRP. Historically the Bombardier family owned a large portion of Bombardier corporation; however, that is no longer true. They gave up there shares in Bombardier corporation in exchange for their share of BRP. Thus, Bombardier corporation and BRP are now two unrelated entities.

What was the top speed , do you re-call ?

High 20's to Low 30's depending on Load and weather... On average I was getting 27-28mph (GPS) with two guys and gear, with my 2 stroke trimmed right out.

Edited by Gerritt

High 20's to Low 30's depending on Load and weather... On average I was getting 27-28mph (GPS) with two guys and gear, with my 2 stroke trimmed right out.

Ok so it will be an improvement over my current speed. ATM I get roughly 21 mph on THE BEST day ... average probably 18-19

I have a ton of pictures on how I rigged her up to be a fishing machine if you have any questions.

G

If you have some time, would you mind sharing a few pictures ?

oh ya, thanks for bringing the thread back on topic.... :)

Edited by Lunker777