Lake Miskwabi

Bigfoot2

I am looking at a property near Lake Miskwabi and am wondering if anyone knows how the fishing is on this Haliburton area lake, along with the connected Long Lake. Also nearby Loon Lake and other surrounding lakes.

Any info is appreciated.

I know the area very well but my info is somewhat dated. My folks bought a place on Loon in 68 when I was 18 and had it for almost 30 years. When we first got the place on Loon it was a smallmouth/walleye lake, excellent smallies and walleye was passable with good sized ones on occasion...8+ pounders. Later there was musky stocking with a few caught trolling for eyes and later the Ministry added lake trout which we found easy to get off riggers with gang trolls. Miskwabi was our original fav lake trout lake b4 we got them in Loon, good success there with the same method. Long Lake is connected to Miskwabi thru a short navigable channel and it is long and shallow with very good bass fishing for both large and smallmouth. Just off the highway on the road into Miskwabi is Little Dudmon Lake and it has smallmouth and I understand that Rainbows have been stocked there now as well. If you are willing to do some back roading, canoeing and small portages lots of good spec and splake lakes in the area as well. Nice area, miss the place. :(

I know the area very well but my info is somewhat dated. My folks bought a place on Loon in 68 when I was 18 and had it for almost 30 years. When we first got the place on Loon it was a smallmouth/walleye lake, excellent smallies and walleye was passable with good sized ones on occasion...8+ pounders. Later there was musky stocking with a few caught trolling for eyes and later the Ministry added lake trout which we found easy to get off riggers with gang trolls. Miskwabi was our original fav lake trout lake b4 we got them in Loon, good success there with the same method. Long Lake is connected to Miskwabi thru a short navigable channel and it is long and shallow with very good bass fishing for both large and smallmouth. Just off the highway on the road into Miskwabi is Little Dudmon Lake and it has smallmouth and I understand that Rainbows have been stocked there now as well. If you are willing to do some back roading, canoeing and small portages lots of good spec and splake lakes in the area as well. Nice area, miss the place. sad.gif

Thanks for the info Dave. I am going back to take a look at the property sometime next month. Grimsby is it? I have some family in Stoney Creek and my Step Mother is in Grimsby. So if you see a licence plate that says Bigfoot2 say hello.

Cheers.

Dave's info is dated, but still good. Great area, I've had a place in wilverforce for near 30 years, and it is a great area. Lots of great fishing. Miskwabi is still good for lakers thru the ice, but I've never fished it from the boat. All kinds of great back lake troutin up there, I love it! If its bass you like to fish for, you'll be in heaven.

I'll watch for your plate up there!

S.

One thing to note is that the water in those lakes are very clear. This can make for some tough fishing on those sunny days. I tend to catch fish deeper on those lakes in general. I caught a walleye on Loon a couple of years ago and it was around 1.5 pounds at the most. Lost something very big in that lake after fighting it for a period of time, then it just got off. It wasn't fighting like a muskie would, so I assume it was a laker or walleye, probably a walleye.

Have only fished Miskwabi in the winter and caught some lakers, mostly small ones. It has potential for some good smallmouth bass fishing.

Beautiful area and close proximity to so many other lakes will make up for any shortcomings on Miskwabi!

One thing to note is that the water in those lakes are very clear. This can make for some tough fishing on those sunny days. I tend to catch fish deeper on those lakes in general. I caught a walleye on Loon a couple of years ago and it was around 1.5 pounds at the most. Lost something very big in that lake after fighting it for a period of time, then it just got off. It wasn't fighting like a muskie would, so I assume it was a laker or walleye, probably a walleye.

Have only fished Miskwabi in the winter and caught some lakers, mostly small ones. It has potential for some good smallmouth bass fishing.

Beautiful area and close proximity to so many other lakes will make up for any shortcomings on Miskwabi!

Sucess on Loon Lake walleye for us was always an dusk/after dark bite cause of the clear water, caught very few during the day. Lakers have been in there since the 80's so there could be some larger ones now. Don't recall ever going deeper than 50 on the riggers for lakers in Loon or Miskwabi, temperature probe always showed a very sharp thermocline around 30' and temps in the high 40's by 50 ', the ones just below the thermocline were always the ones to target, generally inactive fish on bottom.

Sucess on Loon Lake walleye for us was always an dusk/after dark bite cause of the clear water, caught very few during the day. Lakers have been in there since the 80's so there could be some larger ones now. Don't recall ever going deeper than 50 on the riggers for lakers in Loon or Miskwabi, temperature probe always showed a very sharp thermocline around 30' and temps in the high 40's by 50 ', the ones just below the thermocline were always the ones to target, generally inactive fish on bottom.

Thanks guys thats some good info. For myself I am looking at the area more for its "pristine" effect, as I am also a mountain biker/cyclist and would love to explore the trails in the area. Fishing would be more for some evening relaxation, or early morning wake up. Also for when the guys come up. (I won't hear the end of it if they don't catch fish)

Cheers.

Thanks guys thats some good info. For myself I am looking at the area more for its "pristine" effect, as I am also a mountain biker/cyclist and would love to explore the trails in the area. Fishing would be more for some evening relaxation, or early morning wake up. Also for when the guys come up. (I won't hear the end of it if they don't catch fish)

Cheers.

Does Dudman lake have any sort of a launch? Looks like it could be fished with a canoe also. Do the other surrounding lakes have government launches? Any info about Kennibik Lake? It looks interesting also with the islands and not so many roads around it. (Do i need a Haliburton encyclopedia?,,,ha ha)

Thanks.

Does Dudman lake have any sort of a launch? Looks like it could be fished with a canoe also. Do the other surrounding lakes have government launches? Any info about Kennibik Lake? It looks interesting also with the islands and not so many roads around it. (Do i need a Haliburton encyclopedia?,,,ha ha)

Thanks.

OK, little history lesson :sleeping_02: when you say Dudmon Lake, all the oldtimers there will think you are referring to Loon Lake, the name at one time was Dudmon Lake. The lake now known as Little Dudmon at one time was Wenona Lake. Makes lttle sense to me to have a Little Dudmon Lake now when the original Dudmon Lake is no longer called Dudmon :wallbash:

There is a good public launch on Loon/Dudmon with a large parking area down Ross Point Rd. which is opposite Trappers Trail the access road for Miskwabi on the highway. Not sure about a public ramp on Litle Dudmon/ Wenona.

I got by with top sheets for the area but that was in the days before Google Earth :thumbsup_anim:

With your bike I would first explore an abandoned railroad embankment, tracks are gone that runs south from Tory Hill towards Gooderham, take a rod you might catch a few specs in the creek that runs along it, at least there used to be a few :whistling:

With your bike I would first explore an abandoned railroad embankment, tracks are gone that runs south from Tory Hill towards Gooderham, take a rod you might catch a few specs in the creek that runs along it, at least there used to be a few :whistling:

Nope, no specks in there anymore :whistling:

S.

all the back lakes/ponds are on private land... watch your step:) No Crown anywhere in that general area.

For biking I am more interested in snowmobile trails etc. As for private property legally, access to a lake cannot be denied across private property unless there is public access or it is man made (pond on property). In otherwords even though all the property around the lake may be owned by one person, they do not own the lake and also must allow access to shoreline around the lake in event of emergency.(atleast that is my understanding)

Okay thats it for me and my cracker jack box law degree.

Cheers.

For biking I am more interested in snowmobile trails etc. As for private property legally, access to a lake cannot be denied across private property unless there is public access or it is man made (pond on property). In otherwords even though all the property around the lake may be owned by one person, they do not own the lake and also must allow access to shoreline around the lake in event of emergency.(atleast that is my understanding)

Okay thats it for me and my cracker jack box law degree.

Cheers.

Well i know someone with a private lake and some yahoo said the same thing to them while driving down their private road for 3 kms and parking on their private beach and trying to laucnch his boat in a lake that has NEVER seen a gas motor. The guy quickly left once they threatened to call the police and charge him with trespassing.

Well i know someone with a private lake and some yahoo said the same thing to them while driving down their private road for 3 kms and parking on their private beach and trying to laucnch his boat in a lake that has NEVER seen a gas motor. The guy quickly left once they threatened to call the police and charge him with trespassing.

Was the lake itself natural? Or man made? If it is natural then it is crown land and is for everyone's use. But after looking into it a bit more I am not sure if I am right about being able to cross private land to get to a crown lake, even if the lake is surrounded by private land. (See Preston Lake, crown lake, surrounded by private land, several country clubs, closed to public access, and not so pristine anymore) I may not agree with it, as I think a crown owned lake should be for everyones enjoyment, but I would never do what that clown did and try to bully my way across private land to launch into a pristine lake. Chances are that outboard motors were off limits for the lake anyway.

Cheers.

Was the lake itself natural? Or man made? If it is natural then it is crown land and is for everyone's use. But after looking into it a bit more I am not sure if I am right about being able to cross private land to get to a crown lake, even if the lake is surrounded by private land. (See Preston Lake, crown lake, surrounded by private land, several country clubs, closed to public access, and not so pristine anymore) I may not agree with it, as I think a crown owned lake should be for everyones enjoyment, but I would never do what that clown did and try to bully my way across private land to launch into a pristine lake. Chances are that outboard motors were off limits for the lake anyway.

Cheers.

You can't cross private property in order to fish a public waterway. Even if you want to walk around a nasty part of a river, step foot on private property without permission and you'll be trespassing.

I also agree that public water shouldn't be allowed to be surrounded by private property offering zero public access.

All I can tell you.. if you try to access Glamour Lake from the West side.. my uncle may be 85 years old, but he can still sight in a 303... whistling.gif

Oh well. Bigfoot has enjoyed life. But may be past expiration date. Maybe I can run faster scared than he can mad, but can't outrun a 303.

(Why does everyone wanna shoot me? Take a picture. Send it to National Geographic. You'll be famous)

Okay enough of my talking in the third person.

Cheers.

PS: Anyone know where the public access to Glamour Lake is??

Head down wolf lake rd to the end. There is a ramp into both sides of the dam there. Good smallies in either lake there too.

S.

Thanks for the info, and I may try it out. But I was just replying in humour to Irishfields response.

Cheers.

PS: Irishfield, if you see a license plate in Penetanguishene that says Bigfoot2, don't shoot. Its just me doing service calls.