Straightening Flourocarbon Leaders

express168

Hey folks I usually use wire leaders when needed but I have a few pre-tied store bought flourocarbon leaders that I am interested in trying them out. But they stay curled up when removed from the packages, does anyone have any tips on straightening them out and keeping them straight? Thanks.

Tie them on your rod, hook the clip on your hook holder, and reel the line tight. Leave it there over night, and it will be straight, and will stay straight. One thing I love about fluoro leaders is they don't get kinks like steel.

S.

A 1" x 3" strip of belt leather folded over... hold one end and draw it thru a few times and the heat and friction will straighten it out. If you have over night then clip a 3 oz sinker to it and let it hang.

Art

All great replys but each way to straighten are for different pound test leaders. If you are using 140lb leader for an example, 3oz of weight over night will not straighten it out. Streatching a 6lb leader will surely effect the leader strength.

What lb test are you referring to?

All great replys but each way to straighten are for different pound test leaders. If you are using 140lb leader for an example, 3oz of weight over night will not straighten it out. Streatching a 6lb leader will surely effect the leader strength.

What lb test are you referring to?

Sorry, I have 80lb leaders.

For 80 lb leaders you could lightly stretch them to easily straighten them out. What I do is use my closed needle nose pliers in one loop, stand on them with both feet and then use my jaw spreader wire in the other end and pull about 40 lbs worth of force. Hold it for just a second or 2 and see how it is. It's not often you have to stretch it the second time.

You have to be really careful when it comes to stressing fluorocarbon. If it gets over stressed, it does not rebound back like mono but remains damaged.

I'm interested in why such a large diameter line. Does the lure still move from side to side with such a huge diameter line in front of it? Is it to prevent a fish's teeth from cutting it? If so, why not use a much smaller diameter wire leader? Does the large diameter fluorocarbon send off vibrations when it is moving through the water? I know that fish can sense very tiny differences in water pressure.....that's how they can stick so close together in schools even though the school can suddenly change directions. Can you tie a knot in line so large? Can your outfit (rod and reel) pull 80 lbs? Is the line for the anchor?

Tie them on your rod, hook the clip on your hook holder, and reel the line tight. Leave it there over night, and it will be straight, and will stay straight. One thing I love about fluoro leaders is they don't get kinks like steel.

S.

Steel don't get kinks if it's handled right. I've used steel (monel) line and even copper line for many years and never had that problem. I prefer steel line over lead core because you can get more depth without all the weight.

Edited by Dabluz