topwater and flipping

boombap

So I'm in the market for a new rod.

I want something that I can use for both flipping docks with jigs.. and throwing topwater frogs in some heavy slop. I would like something from the 7' to 7.6' range, the st. croix mojo rods look promising but since flipping is new to me Im not sure what to go after. I have read that a longer 7.6'-8' rod is better. Could you guys recommend something that I can use for topwater AND flipping docks? I am limited to $150

So I'm in the market for a new rod.

I want something that I can use for both flipping docks with jigs.. and throwing topwater frogs in some heavy slop. I would like something from the 7' to 7.6' range, the st. croix mojo rods look promising but since flipping is new to me Im not sure what to go after. I have read that a longer 7.6'-8' rod is better. Could you guys recommend something that I can use for topwater AND flipping docks? I am limited to $150

Shimano Compre CPC72HC, 7'2" so it is a touch short but it is a stout rod and falls within your budget. (i have one sitting in front of me and will be using it heavily this year)

St Croix Mojo Bass MBC711HMF flippin' rod looks good as well.

i think the 7'2" compre will do well pulling double duty flipping and frogging.

Shimano Compre CPC72HC, 7'2" so it is a touch short but it is a stout rod and falls within your budget. (i have one sitting in front of me and will be using it heavily this year)

St Croix Mojo Bass MBC711HMF flippin' rod looks good as well.

i think the 7'2" compre will do well pulling double duty flipping and frogging.

I have a Shimano Crucial crankbait rod and I love it. I was looking at the Compre's at the last fishing show and they do look great for the price. Thanks for your input.

Edited by boombap

When fishin' docks consider keeping it 7'6" and shorter as you can get in some tight situations where accuracy is key. 7'2 or similar sounds like it would be a good length in my opinion. I use a 7ft MH rod and sometimes want that extra length when flipping bullrushes or similar when I would like to be a little further away from the target. Shimano compre or St croix premier are both good options for around $150.

I would recommend going with a 7'6. I personally like the longer rod especially for topwater junk fishing.

I've used a lot of different rods over the years. Last year I used an Okuma EVx 7'6 Flipping Stick for frog fishing and I'll use the same thing this year. They worked great and held up to a good workout. The $90 price tag is nice too.

I have a new 7'2" fenwick hmx you can have for $65, it is a very stiff fast blank like most other rods rated as heavy. When you say topwater are you talking a slop/heavy cover rod or hard baits? If your thinking hard baits you will need a 2nd rod as a flippin/heavy cover rod would be all wrong for that.

Spend the few extra bucks and get a shimano crucial. The 7'5" heavy flipping rod will do perfect. I have one paired with a chronarch 51E that I use for flipping and its a sweet combo.

U can also get a 7'2 or even 7'11" depending on ur preference. Taller guys like a longer rod, shorter guys sometimes like a shorter rod.

I spend 98% of my time flipping docks, trees and tight cover and I run a 7'6" rod, the 7'5" crucial and have a 7'10" rod for frogs.

If u want one rod for the job, I'd reccommend that 7'5" crucial I mentioned. Go check one out u'll like it I'm sure

Edited by uglyfish

Id recommend just grabbing a crucial. Good rods. Warranty.

Thats what I was aiming for, the 7'5 flipping rod does look promising and my 7' crankbait crucial is great.

Anyone have any experience with the st. croix mojo MBC76MHMF 7'6 flipping rod? med heavy, mod fast.

Or the shimano compre CPCX77MHC 7'7 flipping rod, med heavy, x fast.

They are both priced the same.

Edited by boombap

The compre is a great rod. But if ur gonna spend the money, may as well bump up to the crucial.

Used to have the 7'6" mojo flippin rod. Its a very nice rod. Good action, great power, comfortable to fish, bit heavier then the crucial though. But for the price its a great rod

Anyone know a tackle store that has these dobyns in stock? BPS dosent have them on their website. Lebarons maybe?

Pro J in Scarborough has them, if not Fishing World in Hamilton. Very limited dealers in Canada as far as I know. If you really want a Dobyns I'd say save up for a Champion, maybe even a Champion Extreme ;)

Otherwise I guess it's a coin flip between a crucial and a savvy.