Sick of this Ice Season

EC1

The last week or so's fishing must have been the most brutal I've had in a while. Went out 5 of the last 14 days for ice fishing, twice for crappie - caught ONE. and three times on Simcoe .... skunk.

Even was on Scugog last night, and there was a huge pressure crack that ran across the east and west of the entire lake. Thinking that it doesn't even look as bad as the pressure cracks on Simcoe, I decided to try to cross anyways..

BAD DECISION. Put one foot through the ice and was wet for the rest of the night. Luckily it wasn't too cold, so I was able to last a few hours out there even when I was wet. The trip wasn't worth it in the end, as I ended up skunking again.

After hearing from Michaelangelo and tonka-toy, decided to go off and cast for some pike today for some revenge. Unfortunately no one was available to take my canoe out, so I just casted from the bridge. There was quite a few people out there already, and lucked myself into a little dinky one.

6801012530_0e74597008_z.jpg

One more ice fishing trip and I think I'm ready to say bye to the ice season until this coming winter. Let the softwater begin!

20" on trout lake as I type. And 30 out on Nipissing in places. Still a bunch of ice fishing here for me.

Many places on Temagami with just barely 12" and the top 4 is slush ice! Kokoko has 4" of slush ice.. 2 inches of water and then 14" of real ice. Won't take it long to go out when mother nature says it's time!

Yup wayne, lots of slush on a lot of lakes north of the Bay.

Nip is good though... So is the fishing! 12 walleye tonight! The ice can stay until the season closes, I love driving out to my spots.

Sorry EC1, you get no support from me :D

Edited by Rod Caster

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

winter lets me access lakes that just aren't possible in summer... i don't mind if it sticks around another month or so... :stretcher:

So is no one really looking forward to softwater yet?

And when asked whether people liked Ice fishing or softwater fishing, I thought the general consensus was that the majority liked softwater more!

Good luck on the ice guys! I'm still thinking about going out this weekend for lakers in Muskoka...But this weather's really turning me off it.

On a brighter note, ended off this year's ice fishing with a BANG. Went for both lakers and perch today!

Woke up with 2 hours of sleep to get to Simcoe, started fishing just before 7. After telling my ice mentor about how I've been sucking lately, he gave me some pointers and it sure helped! Went 4 for 6 lakers (Maybe 1 was a whitie) today, and the two that I lost I still cannot explain. I set the hook square into the fish, but my reel all of a sudden explodes with line flying everywhere, and causing messes that I couldn't fix without cutting line.

I even got my PB today, I didn't weigh her, but she looked to be just around the 10lb mark! Didn't have anyone close to me, so I didn't even get a good photo with her. You can call it whatever weight you want, I'll stick with my 10. (I kept one that was about 7-8 today and it was definitely a noticeable difference in size between the two.) Released 3 of my 4 fish and I am glad to say they got back in before their eyes started to freeze on such a chilly day.

Here's a picture without any size reference..

6807810674_8c3e42bb34_z.jpg

Here's a picture of the smallest fish of the day, and the only fish where I had a photographer. Waved down a gentleman on an ATV. Big Thank You!

6953921383_8f8861d9d0_z.jpg

My release shots were even worse, as I used my iphone which was so slow that the fish swam off each time before the phone took the picture. Note the air bubbles that the camera was able to capture just a second late.

6807812108_c1f1f64976_z.jpg

Was done with lakers by 10am, and moved on to the shallow water for a feed of perch. The perch were extremely sluggish with the cold front today, but was able to catch 13 dinky keepers in the next 3 hours. Kept the few for a fry and cannot wait to have them tonight!

6953922923_b136628d0a_z.jpg

Really hoping that I don't itch and head back out sometime next week. I know for sure it can't get better than this trip!

Edited by EC1

Usually I would be saying bring on the soft water, because Ive never been ice fishing, but after buying my first ice combo this year and reading up on ice fishing, I want this ice to stay until I can atleast get out for my first time even if its for perch.