Camping Mat Suggestions

4x4bassin

I have an older thermarest that I use for my backwoods adventures but as I get a little older and I'm a "side sleeper" the shoulders get sore come morning time and I just don't sleep well from the sore shoulders so i'm looking at a new one.I know dragging the sealy posturepedic into the bush is out of the question so i'm wondering what you guys use or suggest. I don't mind spending the money for quality just as long as it has good reviews . Thanks

thermarest and the like are designed for lightweight portability and comfort is a bit of an after-thought. having said that, if you are currently using one of the super ultra light models right now, there are thicker "base-camp" models that may or may not be comfortable enough for you - they are not as 'portable' but still pack decent.

next we have inflatable mattresses. again, more comfortable but bulkier still to pack.

it all depends on the type of camping you do and if you can afford to pack heavier or not.

Edited by Raf

I use a thermarest too, and have the same problems. I find a mickey of vodka helps me sleep. And another in the morning to get ride of the neck/shoulder pain.

My wife has a bad back, so when she comes camping, we take one of the big double wide blow up matresses. They are a little bulky, but in all reality, they compress down just as small as my thermarest. Even with the little air pump, it's still the same size or smaller them my thermarest when packed up.

And they are cheap!

Keep the Thermarest. Find someone who buys table wine in those 4l casks. The bladders in those casks, once empty, weigh about the same as a ziploc bag of comparable size. Get the number of those that you need...probably no more than 2 or 3. Just hold the spout open to inflate them to the hardness you want and use them wherever. To pack out, just lean on them holding the valve open. They work great and will hold several hundred pounds each without breaking. They're light, compact and free. Best of all, they work.

I have only ever used an ultralight thermarest which is good enough but I could see as you get older needing something more comfortable.

My wife has a luxury version of the thermarest I can't remember which brand and it is comfortable but not nearly as portable.