Lady Evelyn Lake

doubleheader

Interested in opinions on this lake. From what I have researched it appears to be one of the top walleye destinations in eastern Ontario. Also, any experience at Red Pine Lodge or other lodges on this lake? I was talking to the owner of Red Pine at a show over the weekend, he seems like a fine guy, but his rates a little high for our group. We bring our own boats and would prefer a top walleye water within 8 hours of Toronto. Your suggestions are appreciated.

Hey there

I have been to Lady E twice

Stayed once at Ellen Island Lodge-which is a housekeeping only, boat to lodge-they do offer packages where you can bring your own boat.

We liked Ellen Island but had brutal weather the year we were there-and found after battling the elements all day - making our own meals and cleaning up after ourselves was a pain. That said-cabins are nice, owners are great as well. If I had to name the downsides I would say that the people who ran the lodge were not great at putting you on fish-we relied heavily on others in the camp for tips.

Next time we stayed at Island 10-full american plan-slightly cheaper than Red Pine. We loved it-great cabins, hosts, meals etc. Better weather that year so we did much better with the fish-plus Ken the owner made a point of getting everyone going withtheir maps etc each morning (re okay based on weather today I'd try these spots)

Overall Lady Evelyn is a huge body of water that has both numbers and size (the week we were in camp top 2 walleyes were over 30 inches, sm bass over 5 lbs and two pike over 40) we did okay for numbers as well-and we are definitely not walleye fishing experts, nor experts in fishing northern lakes. There are two main parts to the lake (which is actually an impounded river) one is relatively shallow, other is very deep. You can fish high and low so to speak

Heard good things about Red Pine and Garden Island Lodge as well (another American plan operator)

We are planning on returning in the next few seasons for sure

i am on my 4th year with Red Pine and i have to say i absolutely love the place. James does a great job at keeping the camp on the right track and Ryan (the guide) really knows the lake very well and will do his best to put you on fish. The rest of the staff at redpine are always helpful and very friendly. Food is amazing as well.

The cabins are awesome with seperate docks for each cottage so its very easy to come and go as you please.

the fishing is amazing! and depending on the time of year its normally pretty close to the lodge.

i have also heard good things about garden island. i had some friends stay there last year and they really enjoyed there trip. they also have a guide there. i believe his name is brian.. and he was also quite helpful with helping guests find the fish.

one thing i would highly recommend too if the lodge you stay at offers it is to fish one of the backlakes up there for bass or pike. the fishing was insane on the 2 lakes i fished.

hope that helps

I spent a week at both Garden Island and Island 10. There is a good chance we'll be back again to Lady Ev this year as well.

Fishing for walleye is probably the best I have had on this side of the province. Good sized fish with a reasonable chance at some trophies. 100 fish days (more like a single evening) are definitely possible, but not the norm like you might find in the northwest. It's a large body of water, but you will find fish close to wherever you stay. Find your typical walleye structure and fish it in the morning and evenings. What I find is that those anglers that have a hard time finding fish are used to trolling deep water for walleye - since that is the method they will stick to. However, you will find that the walleye are typically shallower in 8 to 10 FOW and almost always <20FOW.

Pike fishing was mediocre for us. We always caught a few small ones during the day, but never really got into them; not for lack of trying either. There are some great "pikey" looking places on the lake that just never seemed to produce for us. As mentioned, you'd be better going into a back lake if you want to fish for pike. Trolling around some of the bays seemed to work out well for some people though.

Smallmouth bass. We got into some really nice smallmouth a few times. Find some rocks, you will catch them. However, finding a good rocky area isn't as easy as it may sound. You might have to travel a bit if you want to go after the bass. Probably worthwhile because there are some real pigs in the lake.

Whitefish. They are there, but never caught one. I've only been to the lake in the summer though, but if you're there during the mayfly hatch you might be able to get into some.

I have heard only good things about all four lodges on the lake. The one thing you need to consider is that if you bring your own boat, you have to have it hauled up over the damn for you. Not sure how much that costs or if it's included in the price. Keep in mind, the boats at GI and Island10 were great. The have top notch equipment. I am not sure about the other two lodges though since I have not been.

I am currently in the same situation as you are. Trying to find a decent walleye fishery that I can drive or boat to. However, my group doesn't want any outposts either. I know there are a few drive-to outpost cabins that I would be checking out if my group had the interest.

Are you focused on inland lakes, or have you considered Bay of Quinte??

Guys, can you day trip into Lady E?

From where Bill? I would assume you're not talking about a day trip from Barrie.

Of course anything's possible, but if you're bringing your own boat to Lady Evelyn you have to get it towed around the dam by tractor. It's not "quite" a drive-to destination.

Thanks for all the responses. I'm going to check out the other lodges that were mentioned. I am really intrigued by this lake. I may have to schedule a week, leave the boat at home, just as a scouting mission. Fishlogic, I have considered Quinte, it's a place I could scout on a long weekend, but I wonder if we'd feel the Canadian experience if you know what i mean. I'm only an hour from Erie, but that's a whole different kind of fishing and experience, fun, but not what i want for a vacation. Thanks again for sharing your experiences on this lake.

Nah, not a day trip, but I'd rather stay in the 5th wheel then pay a lodge :) I just looked up that little portage, dunno if they'd be willing to do that for non-guests or not.

Bill, my buddies went up a couple years ago. They used the portage service for their 17&19ft lunds and camped out on crown land. Totally do-able. Maybe if Steve sees this he'll chime in.

Nah, not a day trip, but I'd rather stay in the 5th wheel then pay a lodge :) I just looked up that little portage, dunno if they'd be willing to do that for non-guests or not.

My buddies parents own White Pine Lodge (located on the Montreal River before you go up and over the dam) and he tells me the guy who operates the tractor is independent of the lodges and yes he will bring you in.....$10 round trip I think but don't quote me.

My buddies parents own White Pine Lodge (located on the Montreal River before you go up and over the dam) and he tells me the guy who operates the tractor is independent of the lodges and yes he will bring you in.....$10 round trip I think but don't quote me.

You rock man, appreciate the info.. Looks like it's going on the list of lakes to fish this year with the oldman :)

The only other thing I wasn't sure about is if it costs to park your car and trailer at Mowat's Landing?? There are cottages there on the river as well where you park for the boat-in lodges.

White Pine Lodge has always interested me. I am hoping to stay there at some point.

You can also camp on the lake

Friends of mine did it a few years back and enjoyed it. Think it cost them $45 or so to get around the dam and they camped on one of the islands for 3 nights

My Wife and I stayed at Mitchell's Camp about 20 yrs ago and the camps were very clean and comfortable and the service was great we even had them deliver supplies and a newspaper daily and the price at the end of the week was unbelievably low.I don't know if they are still in operation but if they are I would highly recommend them,Because being nice honest people is what they are about.mikdor

My Wife and I stayed at Mitchell's Camp about 20 yrs ago and the camps were very clean and comfortable and the service was great we even had them deliver supplies and a newspaper daily and the price at the end of the week was unbelievably low.I don't know if they are still in operation but if they are I would highly recommend them,Because being nice honest people is what they are about.mikdor

Is that the camp near the dam on Evelyn? I never could find much information about it. I believe it used to be owned by the same person who does the portage service over the dam. Is it still in operation?

The only other thing I wasn't sure about is if it costs to park your car and trailer at Mowat's Landing?? There are cottages there on the river as well where you park for the boat-in lodges.

White Pine Lodge has always interested me. I am hoping to stay there at some point.

No cost for parking/launching at Mowat's Landing.

GREAT LAKE, STAYED AT RED PINE...VERY NICE PLACE AND PEOPLE. THE GUIDE TOOK US OUT BEFORE THE WITCHING HR AND BETWEEN 4 OF US, WE CAUGHT ABOUT 75 WALLEYE...SO THAT IS VERY GOOD. I WOULD LIKE TO GO BACK AND DO SOME MORE ONE YR. CAMPING WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA. HOPE YOU HAVE FUN IF YOU GO.

• 3 weeks later...