1979 mariner 30hp

tomO

I got a chance to buy it for one hundred dollars been in storage a couple of years but he said it ran when it was put away. I pretty sure its yamaha built but being so old I'm not sure if it's worth messing with, any one have or had one? 689-301932 is the model number. just curious.

Wow....great deal. I'm sure that the old motor will work fine with just a bit of work. Compression test, new plugs, new oil, carburetor cleaning, gas filter and a good visual inspection.

I have a few old motors and they are easy to work on and have no complicated parts.

Even if you don't need it or want it, you can make a good profit with it. If it's beyond repair, you can make a profit just from selling parts on Ebay.

First post but not the last. I have been watching waytoo long. Take lots of pictures if you take on the project. It will help you,us watching and others trying to help you on this site. I picked up a 1957evinrude 5.5 running but in need of help, lots of help. I picked up all sealsbearings bushings carb kit and all the advice from Klaus Marine (great guy atthe counter for older stuff). Took apart and REALY put the 5.5 back together. Irun it on a 12 ft. and have never had a problem besides it should run on 16:1.

Is this a tiller model?

It won't shift into reverse if the throttle is turned past shift. BAck the throttle off on the tiller handle, and try shifting.

It also won't pull over in gear. Might be stuck in forward.

Have you drained the lower unit? What did/does the oil look like? Maybe it won't shift because it has water in it, and its frozen?

IMO, it is worth fixing. I have a 40HP just like it, and its bullet proof. I can't seem to kill it.

I"m assuming this is a 2 cylinder, 2 stroke? You sure its a 79? Long shaft, or short shaft?

I have a buddy with one that is a long shaft, tiller. I"m not sure of the year of his, but its older than mine. They are all pretty much the same. Engine is yamaha, drive is merc. Most parts for mine come from a yamaha dealer. The merc guys can never figure it out!! Great motors!! His 30hp almost keeps up to my 40...on a bit narrower hull.

S.

Yea its a tiller but the arm isn't on it but I have it I haven't paid him anything yet .I told him if I got it started I would and he's ok with that, its on the basement floor so I really haven't started on it just messed with it a little. It's a 2 cycle long shaft. It shifts into forward and neutral ok and I was on line checking the serial number and I think it's a 79.

MIne will shift into forward or neutral at any rpm, but for reverse, I have to have the throttle down to the shift(slow) postition on the tiller handle for it to go.

It sounds like there is a catch there that is stopping it from going into reverse.

I'm curious what the lower unit oil looks like.

Maybe put a few drops of oil down each cylinder and give it a few pulls. Might loosen it up enough to get it running.

S.