Trucks revisited (nf)

Guest Trophymuskie

Guest Trophymuskie

There was a lot of talk about trucks a month ago and I thought some may be interested to know this.

I was at the dentist last Friday morning before I headed off to the Muskies Canada Odyssey. And I picked up a recent copy of Motor trends and you guys would not believe what I read.

The 2007 truck of the year is nothing else but the Chevy Silverado but that's not what amazed me it was the rest of the top 5. In no particular order but here they are, Chevy Avalanche, GMC Sierra, Cadillac Escallade and a Ford.

Talk about kicking some serious butt in the trucking world.

No mention of Dodge or any imports.

Go GM Go.

As far as "Anything of the year" stuff goes means not much to me. They should do these evaluations after 3 or 4 years. That tells the tale. History tells me domestics just dont cut it in reliability. A couple months ago the 03 chevy's started to show up with rotted out brake lines at my shop. This is built like a... "rock?????".... They may have improved them, they may not have either. Fine if you are trading in on a new one every three years.They are all nice when they are new. But wow-expensive!

Coming from Motor Trend does not impress me.Maybe Consumer reports would a little bit.I have a 99 Suburban that is a fine truck but I think the Toyota and Nissan are gonna outlast the domestic products.All in all the stuff made now is much more reliable and better quality than the stuff made in the 70's and 80's.Remember the 12,000 24 month warranty on NEW vehicles??Now as far as the trucks from the 60's....they are gold!!!

Joe

If any one wants to purchase the amazing "2007 TRUCK OF THE YEAR", just wait a few months, they will be literally giving it away on Employee Pricing, Dealer Incentives and a few more THIS WEEKEND ONLY discounts.

a shame but it happens every year.

Ha, Ha, Looks like you got sucked in by a slick mag. Tell me whos paying for that magazine through their advertisements. Hey Sucker, find an independant mag like consumers report or CAA. Geez, like I believe the Commercials on TV about the domestics. Sorry to be blunt but shake your head.

Remember the Cherokee Sport, remember that it was the SUV / 4X4 of the year according to Motor Trend when it was introduced in the eighties.

I owned 2 of them, one 89 and the other 97.

Ask any parts guy or dealer now what they thought of those in the first couple years. Very lousy vehicles, brake issues deserving of recall, handling characteristics of a skateboard, rust issues, weak suspension, u joints lasted about as long as a tank of gas and numerous electrical issues.

My 97 is still going with few issues and over 300,000 ks it is as good as Motor Trend suggested almost 20 years earlier, my 89 was piss poor in comparison and the years before that were worse yet. Entirely contrary to what Motor Trend was saying about them at the time.

Think sponsored propaganda.

The new GM truck looks good on paper and sitting in the show room, but lets face it that is really still all we could possibly know about the thing.

Lets have this chat again in a few years, once people have had a chance to wear them down a bit.

That is the review that I'll believe.

Edited by RivrRat

Their is a second part to how well a truck is built and that is how well the company is to fix the warrentee issues. So far on my Nissan Titan it has had 2 recalls in 2 years one was for the paint in the bedliner and the other was to replace the brake pads and rotors due to high speed brake jutter. Both done without complaint and a free rental car. As painfull as it is the imports are building better products and giving better service the domestics are playing catchup and I hope they will someday be back on top but they have got their yet.

Art