Simcoe Bug

quickme

I posted this on the Lake Simcoe board but I thought I would repost. Looking for any feedback. Anyone that can help me make these better i'm all ears.

After reading about how well a Simcoe bug does I decided to try and make one myself. Its not as nice and polished as the diagram I saw but its was the best I could do with limited skill. You know what they say, practise makes perfect. I used the "paint" i found in my wife's makeup box. I'm going to give these guys a try next week! If they work I'll make more.

Does anyone have a better picture of how a real Simcoe bug looks like? If they work well i'd be happy to send one to anyone that helps me out. ( let me rethink that.... I'll send one to the first 5 people, i don't think I can make hundrends of these)

simcoebug2.jpg

simcoebug1.jpg

Nice attempt.

Ron makes them aswell,and does a great job. I made them years ago. Practice makes perfect.

Mine,I wrapped the shank of the hook with copper wire,then wrapped with tread. When finished,I just dipped in a epoxy mixture,or you can go with crazy glue. I find the crazy glue is tacky,even after it,s been cured.

Edited by Misfish

I should also add,I pinch the barb. This allows for just dropping the fish on the ice,hook pops out,and back down the bug goes,no handeling of the fish.

That makes sense. Problem is i don't know if I can fool something to bite my creation. Best way to find out is to throw it down the hole and jig away... :thumbsup_anim:

That makes sense. Problem is i don't know if I can fool something to bite my creation. Best way to find out is to throw it down the hole and jig away... :thumbsup_anim:

Just twitch that bait.Dont jig it. Also keep constant pressure when reeling up the perch. Oh and crappie like them too. :whistling:

Looks good!

tied tons of these in my youth and sold them out of my car when I worked at a GTA tackle shop. What worked the best for me was to use needlepoint thread for the body. You can buy 100's of colors at Fabricworld and for cheap. I used to overwrap the body in single flashabou or wire like yours but the killer ones for me were when you tie in a tiny burst of red yarn or marabou at the tail. I used to think it looked like exposed gills and it definitely caught me more perch.

To finish I then coated 2x with clear nail polish and sometimes I would dab glow in the dark fabric paint on the head.

Key to the finish is to not overwrap the body too thick and start to taper down to the head at a little over halfway to the hook eye. Finish the body wrap with only 1 layer of yarn and leave about 1 mm open hook shank to tie off the yarn. Build the head up with thread not yarn.

I'll see if I still have a few in my box (pretty sure) and post a few pictures of the gills tied in

For some weird reason, my wife gets really mad when I use her nail polish to paint lures. Ends up throwing them out after. I've got a few choice colours in the garage now :whistling:

As for tips on making a bug.. Not sure if I can really help you. I was thinking about making some too. I'm gunna by one from a store first, then use that as a template to make my own.

Looks good!

tied tons of these in my youth and sold them out of my car when I worked at a GTA tackle shop. What worked the best for me was to use needlepoint thread for the body. You can buy 100's of colors at Fabricworld and for cheap. I used to overwrap the body in single flashabou or wire like yours but the killer ones for me were when you tie in a tiny burst of red yarn or marabou at the tail. I used to think it looked like exposed gills and it definitely caught me more perch.

To finish I then coated 2x with clear nail polish and sometimes I would dab glow in the dark fabric paint on the head.

Key to the finish is to not overwrap the body too thick and start to taper down to the head at a little over halfway to the hook eye. Finish the body wrap with only 1 layer of yarn and leave about 1 mm open hook shank to tie off the yarn. Build the head up with thread not yarn.

I'll see if I still have a few in my box (pretty sure) and post a few pictures of the gills tied in

great advise. i'm going to use Thread. Yarn is really hard to work with. if you can find those pics please PM me. I'm thinking of letting a red piece of yarn stick out a little like a jig. I appreciate the help!