Survival suit

wormdunker

Thanks! I'd rather buy one in person than order one online to make sure it fits right.

Ya I am pretty sure there are at a store in Belleville, goggle quinte ice fishing team, they may even be sponsored by them now. They will know where to get them.. I had no issue with sizing, they asked me like 5 measurements, it fit perfect. It was shipped on the day they said it would be. I was leary as well but no problems

Question for ya all.

How many have put their suit on and jumped in the water and see how it reacted?

I did this one summer after I bought mine. I wanted to know how it would react,and how I would move in it.

Im talking my heavy winter boots and under garments as well. It,s a pretty cool feeling to know that your body will float,but you need to know that the floater is only one eliment. You need the ice piks as well to pull you out.

Water does get in the suit and yes you are wet.Summer water was ok,but I sure as hell,cant amagine having that dick shrivel temp, in my suit.

DONT FORGET YOUR HAND PIKS.

We did this back in college at Sir Sandford Fleming. One night we had a "class" at the community centre pool. We jumped into the water with rubber boots, hip and chest wadders, pfds, lifejackets and floater coats. We practiced all sorts of different self and assisted rescue scenarios.

BTW water in your boots and wadders will not sink you. IF your boots/wadders fill with water the water inside is not denser than the water outside. Getting out of the water into a boat is not easy, but you will not, can not sink because of water in your boots. No one is going to break the Olympic freestyle swimming record in wadders either, but as long as you don't panic self rescue is possible.

I've been under a few times in my waders, it's not like water just pours in there like everyone would think. I swam a good 5-6 seconds with my waders completely underwater and I took maybe 4-5 cups of water out of them at the car.. I was soaked, but far from filling up with water and pulling me downstream to my death, lol.

They're nice and warm, but if u go for a swim, you will sink like a stone. Correct?

I'll sink but the suit is pretty waterproof. It would take a few seconds and first reaction is to stay calm and get ur arms on the ice...then roll up on. Went out on some shallow water perch fishing on 2" of ice...then moved out to 10' and still I have lot's of confidence on the ice. I am safe not stupid, I walk out drill holes send lightest in front and well I got lucky that day maybe.

But on the upside I have extreme comfort. Great pockets, hand warmer compartments and well its too warm sometimes. The nice cuffs on the frabill suits is nice too.

So why not try Survival Suit over Floater. Well it's basic. If you want to guarantee u float then go out on any ice and take ur chances or do it the safe way like me and just be in something warm like I am and be happy. Many people use these type suits with not many complaints. If you want something for late season ice try one. You will love it, 2 pieces is soo nice too right. sweater on and bib, great for fall and spring fishing in the boat.

Edited by MikeTheBassFisher

i was under a tight budget so I bought a Fladen. Not really well known in Canada, but supposedly very popular in Europe. I searched a bunch of reviews and they seemed positive. They are relatively cheap too. Only 85pounds or 134 $Can. Which is really really cheap.

From what I know, most, if not all of the suits ice fishermen wear are FLOATATION Suits, not Survior suits. Big difference. If I'm not mistaken, the survivor suit is meant to slow down hypothermia in water and is more like a neoprene suit. But the floatation suit is meant to keep you from going under. In either case, you gotta get out of the ice. So IMHO, all a floatation suit needs to do is keep you floating so you can use your picks to pull yourself out as quickly as possible. After that, i guess it's about fit and comfort. So for me, i don't need to spend 400 on a mustang.

See:

http://www.cheaplifejackets.co.uk/one-piece-flotation-suit-blue-yellow-from-10999-free-shippin-c-23-p-1-pr-16165.html

This site has user reviews.

http://www.uk-fishing-tackle.co.uk/

It's warm, bright, not your typical orange (not sure if that's a good thing or bad thing), high collars, a hood, neoprene wrists, big pockets. Only complaint is that the legs could use a zipper for wider boots.

Anyway, another option for you.

i was under a tight budget so I bought a Fladen. Not really well known in Canada, but supposedly very popular in Europe. I searched a bunch of reviews and they seemed positive. They are relatively cheap too. Only 85pounds or 134 $Can. Which is really really cheap.

From what I know, most, if not all of the suits ice fishermen wear are FLOATATION Suits, not Survior suits. Big difference. If I'm not mistaken, the survivor suit is meant to slow down hypothermia in water and is more like a neoprene suit. But the floatation suit is meant to keep you from going under. In either case, you gotta get out of the ice. So IMHO, all a floatation suit needs to do is keep you floating so you can use your picks to pull yourself out as quickly as possible. After that, i guess it's about fit and comfort. So for me, i don't need to spend 400 on a mustang.

See:

http://www.cheaplifejackets.co.uk/one-piece-flotation-suit-blue-yellow-from-10999-free-shippin-c-23-p-1-pr-16165.html

This site has user reviews.

http://www.uk-fishing-tackle.co.uk/

It's warm, bright, not your typical orange (not sure if that's a good thing or bad thing), high collars, a hood, neoprene wrists, big pockets. Only complaint is that the legs could use a zipper for wider boots.

Anyway, another option for you.

Well I took the plunge & bought a floater (not survival) suit. It is very comfortable, not bulky & awkward like most Mustangs, buoy o buoy. It is a HJC who also makes helmets. Lots of full length zippers & velcro. It is a 2 piece, has lined pockets, cloth lined collar. On a mild day remove the jacket, open some zippers on the bib style pants. Many nice features & very comfortable for mobility. U should take a look at them, I'm happy with it. I'll be trying it out tomorrow at the M&G on Nipissing.

We did this back in college at Sir Sandford Fleming. One night we had a "class" at the community centre pool. We jumped into the water with rubber boots, hip and chest wadders, pfds, lifejackets and floater coats. We practiced all sorts of different self and assisted rescue scenarios.

BTW water in your boots and wadders will not sink you. IF your boots/wadders fill with water the water inside is not denser than the water outside. Getting out of the water into a boat is not easy, but you will not, can not sink because of water in your boots. No one is going to break the Olympic freestyle swimming record in wadders either, but as long as you don't panic self rescue is possible.

I am also an AUk from way back, what course did you take

• 2 weeks later...

Salus suits are comfortable and very well made right here in ontario. I have owned one for two years and love it. They are a little pricier but well worth it.

Another big thumbs up for SALUS

....my opinion the best out there I own an odessy class suit and a sar 770 vest and i am religious about using them just remember you get what you pay for as far as the one piece i wear a t shirt and underware in any weather condition at all and stay toasty warm

m2 cents

I really don't understand why more people don't buy Salus. :wallbash:

A great Ontario company. Very high quality.

Anyone have a contact to get a salus suit for a good price?

Think part of the problem is they aren't sold in as many locations as the Mustangs or Helly Hansens. Perhaps they need a better marketing team??

Salus tends to sell more to ocean-boaters than inshore. Not sure why. Their stuff is supposedly amazing.

I have a helly hansen alpha and it's great too. Highly recommended.

I find float suits to be heavy.They are also cumbersome.I picked up a Helly Hanson I find it heavy.I looked at the Salus after the fact.The Salus is half the weight and is a bit more flexible .Just my 2 cents.

I did a quick "Salus" search and came up with these posts. I am thinking I made the right choice! Awesome quality and they are Canadian.

eTackle.ca now stocks Salus float suits. Just a heads up if you are still looking.

Phil

Edited by Harrison