This one's for you Wayne

camillj

Straight and level was good enough for me yesterday Jon.. trying to land in the yard with the wind gusting 40K when I got back from ice fishing must have been fun for a spectator (and I wish I had video). I almost rolled her up in a ball... only to find out when I was pulling the plane into the hangar that someone was looking out for me long before I got home. Blew my oil pressure gauge line somewhere along the way.. thankfully that 40K wind was a tailwind and I got home 25 minutes early. I didn't have 20 minutes left... 30 minute flight (that should have been 55) threw 4 quarts, out of 7, and thankfully it all stayed off the 1550 degree exhaust pipes. :unsure:

Edited by irishfield

Oh that's what it was. I saw that in status this morning and didn't want to ask what the problem had been. Sometimes it's just good to not know things right away eh? Glad it's under control now though.

I also learned yesterday... how not to try an fix a Lowrance Roy! But that's for another thread!! lol

All is well. I always love the aerobatic shows but they can have it... I've got a few hours training in a Zlin and that's enough for me.

Edited by irishfield

I also learned yesterday... how not to try an fix a Lowrance Roy! But that's for another thread!! lol

All is well. I always love the aerobatic shows but they can have it... I've got a few hours training in a Zlin and that's enough for me.

Now that's a fishing report I'm looking forward to! :)

Straight and level was good enough for me yesterday Jon.. trying to land in the yard with the wind gusting 40K when I got back from ice fishing must have been fun for a spectator (and I wish I had video). I almost rolled her up in a ball... only to find out when I was pulling the plane into the hangar that someone was looking out for me long before I got home. Blew my oil pressure gauge line somewhere along the way.. thankfully that 40K wind was a tailwind and I got home 25 minutes early. I didn't have 20 minutes left... 30 minute flight (that should have been 55) threw 4 quarts, out of 7, and thankfully it all stayed off the 1550 degree exhaust pipes. :unsure:

You had some luck (higher power) on your side Wayne.

Awesome vid! Wow Wayne.. your one lucky son of a gun...lol. I seen your status last night...kinda wondered what happened..One quick question. Whats with the smoke on these planes? Is it just for show or is there an actual purpose? Always wanted to know..Who better to ask?lol

Awesome vid! Wow Wayne.. your one lucky son of a gun...lol. I seen your status last night...kinda wondered what happened..One quick question. Whats with the smoke on these planes? Is it just for show or is there an actual purpose? Always wanted to know..Who better to ask?lol

Just for show.. they're actually pumping oil, from a reservior, right into the exhaust outlet area to create it.

Jeeze Wayne ... Did you realize you had a problem ? Or were you sweatin all the way home ? Either way, you clearly got some more to get done on this earth before your turn is up :)

Glad the big fella had his eye on you - karma my friend ... karma.

Blew my oil pressure gauge line somewhere along the way.. thankfully that 40K wind was a tailwind and I got home 25 minutes early. I didn't have 20 minutes left... 30 minute flight (that should have been 55) threw 4 quarts, out of 7, and thankfully it all stayed off the 1550 degree exhaust pipes. :unsure:

I know they aren't as accurate but wouldn't that be a pretty good reason to run an electric gauge/sender instead of a mechanical gauge with an oil line running to it?

I know they aren't as accurate but wouldn't that be a pretty good reason to run an electric gauge/sender instead of a mechanical gauge with an oil line running to it?

You're screwed either way Raf... the way the case is built, where the port is and where the motor mounts to the airplane negates the ability / clearance to install a sender directly to the case. You have to use a fitting, hose, adapter and then a sender. Just more points for failure. The savour was the restrictor orifice that I made when I first built the airplane....by brazing in the fitting hole and then drilling it out with a very small bit.

You're screwed either way Raf... the way the case is built, where the port is and where the motor mounts to the airplane negates the ability / clearance to install a sender directly to the case. You have to use a fitting, hose, adapter and then a sender. Just more points for failure. The savour was the restrictor orifice that I made when I first built the airplane....by brazing in the fitting hole and then drilling it out with a very small bit.

Glad you made it back OK. Obviously you must have seen this happen before if you took precautions like that when you built the plane.

Mike.. in the airplane world it should be common knowledge that a restrictor is required at the case to oil line fitting, but many AME's and homebuilders are unaware. Most just grab a common 1/8 NPT fitting and throw it in there to hook up to, if the original lyco fitting isn't there or they decide to not use it.