Designed / Built my own ice chipper

NAW

Nice job there Nick. You're right in that knurling is tough on the hands. I suggest you wrap some rubber tape around the handle. It will give you a good grip and provide some insulation from the cold DOM tube. Let me know if you need some. I may be coming up to the GTG and can bring you a roll.

Tony

Let me know if you need some. I may be coming up to the GTG and can bring you a roll.

Thanks for the offer. I think I'll keep it bare metal for now though.

See you this weekend!

I m just curious, how long would it take to make a hole with a tool like that.?

Depends on ice thickness, and how much energy you have.

I use it more for cleaning up holes for my hut. I drill a figure 8 with my auger (two holes slightly over lapping). Then use the chipper to open the two holes up to a slot. This matches up with the holes cut in the floor of my hut. 9" Dia auger, works out to a slot 9" wide, by 16" long.

They are also very good if you go back to the same holes the next day, and need to clean out an inch or two of ice.

Edited by N.A.W

Just an idea if you did want to cover the tee handle; is this stuff from Loctite. It’s a liquid rubber compound that when it dries, sticks like baby crap to a blanket. It comes in different colours (the rubber not the crap); red would make it very visible, lying out in the snow.

Dan.

363.jpg