Huntsville Ice Condition/Report

4x4bassin

Headed out early yesterday for a small speck lake to try our luck. It was really cold out -20C when I left home and when we got to the lake

it was -25C BRRRRRRR

We tried everything but only managed a couple hits (minnow thieves) all day. It was a long day but even though it was cold it was a brilliant

day to spend on a wilderness lake in central Ontario. I'm not sure but I will blame the fisless day on the temps. because I know there is

lots of specks in there ! I will be back .

The ice conditions were good with 5" of black ice and 4" of white and surprising there was a fair amount of slush.One of my friends got a little to close to a muskrat house/bog and actually went through,lucky for him it was only 3' deep . It is amazing how little ice there is around those things and close to shore , lesson learned !!!!

Sorry for no pictures , camera didn't make it out yesterday.

We were up that way last weekend around Dorset. Managed one about 2 lbs. Had one other hit that I lost cause I forgot I was fishing in 3.5 ft of water...when you run out in a blinding panic to set the hook its not that condusive to slam the fish off the bottom of the ice :wallbash:

Oh well it was awesome weather and worth the bush wacking to get in.

Though I honestly think the low pressure Saturday had us beat as our success is usually much better in that lake.

All in all it still tasted like Brookie!!!!

Hey, at least you tried 4x4bassin :thumbsup_anim:

If it's any concellation... got out this morning for specks... temps was @ -30C :w00t: no wind ( THANK GOD :lol: ) and got a couple small ones ( 4" and 7" ) for my efforts :D

It felt like the lake had been fished out... hard bite :wallbash:

I'm definitely going back, cause like you, I know they are there and plentiful :)

Tight lines

Leechman

Edited by Leechman

Hey Bill....i was up in Dwight last weekend and Gravenhurst yesterday - sled rippin' around all over the place. Definitely enough to keep the sliders lubed.

Colin

Yeah I actually wish I would have brought mine...would have saved a LOT of walking...when I left the Bruce on Friday I was talking to my buddy in Dwight (where we stayed) and he was not sure of the amount of snow down Dorset way in the bush, so we opted against it. The trail we walked in on was not open yet but there was easily enough to make it in without damage.

What are the snow conditions up there like? Enough to run a sled?

We were fishing just north of Huntsville and there was lots of snow (12") Sleds were buzzing around as well !

I found that during the drive up it varied with lots of snow around my place and Barrie ,then not so much just north of Barrie

then more around Huntsville and north.