3 hours Laker fishing today

limeyangler

Hi all,

My buddy called and wanted to go fishing, he had a spare sled so off we went.

We did not catch many the last time out on this easy access local lake......so we tried a few other spots with no success before moving back to my regular spot.

We waited half an hour before the fish started biting. We got nine in all and kept for respectable keepers.

Depth was 6o'FOW.

Baits varied from jig and minnows, jigging raps and lipless rattlin' cranks, and one falling for my split shot and circle hook dead stick with a large dace minnow at 20'FOW.

Trout were right on the bottom to 4' under the ice...again managed to see the trout hit through the hole...awesome!

Here's the vids and pics.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6SGjIyK1Bfw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

IMG_5899.jpg

IMG_5910.jpg

IMG_5924.jpg

IMG_5925.jpg

Awesome report, fish, pic and video Simon :thumbsup_anim:

Looks like you guys had fun with the jigging rap B)

Great job you too :good:

LOL...thanks Leechman....i am doing a "Bob Izumi"....mentioning the product as many times as possible....only difference is he gets paid!

no ice down here! that is cruel and unnecessary great day for you guys. envious.

I am an evil bugger...it has been said. About time we got a few, hopefully you guys get ice before the spring thaw :whistling:

Really nice video Simon.

Thanks for letting me in your hut. Clear ice.

Gotta love clear ice :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks for sharing , nice to see you had a good day .

Thanks Skip, was a ghood 3 hours, and a nice long sled ride in and out, yup a good day. We were meant to meet my wife at my buddies house for a fish supper, my 3 yeear old had a really bad stomach...so we couldn't and we all dined alone...but supper was still good.

Awesome...

That's one fish Ive never caught...

Tried a couple times... But no luck

Hey Mike...i thought you were in the Niagra region...aren't the lakers in there thick? Dont matter anyway where you are Mike...your skills are no match for a lake trout!

Nice to see some laker action this season! I'm having withdrawal out west here :(

Whats going on this year :dunno: Its even been stooooopidly warm here.

Dang looks a lot better then the ice fishing in my area congrats on a great time out

Thanks Mike....now if only i could dial in the whities like last year....just once!

Simon, how were you using the lipless cranks? Do you have to rip them up or slowly jig them and did you tip it with anything? Also what size work best in your opinion....thanks

Hey Jat,

It depends, lol, sorry but its true. One thing is for sure on the lake we were on is that the fish like 'em whichever way we seemed to serve 'em up.. In one case we had 4 lines down with varying baits and did not see anything on screen for half an hour. As soon as my buddy put the crank on the barren bottom started to arch up with big and small fish, the activity started as soon as the jig got 10' above bottom. Its gotta be the shine and rattle...gotta be.

The other day it was definitely the ripping action than brought the fish in, suspended or off bottom. You can tell the fish are homimng in on a specific bait because we are fishing 2' feet apart and you can watch as you hover the crank a good 5 or 6 feet above ythe other bait and watch them scream off bottom totally ignoring the other bait well within view and smacking the crank!

I feel like i am rambling...hope this helps :blush:

We dont dress them with anything, although i have not tried to put anything on as yet, have not needed to.

Some nice lakers there man....that ice looks great! I FINALLY got out to chase some this weekend....threw the tackle box at them and could only watch them chase my offerings on the screen. Coaxed one to the hole from 33FOW....thought I might get him to jump out :lol: Not a single fish would hit though....maybe the lack of "meat" on the lures....not sure.

I love ripping the rattle baits to bring them in though....100% effective technique!