Which trolling motor?

mugsmuffin

I am going to be purchasing a new trolling motor this spring, it is either a Fortrex or a Terrova. I had a Powerdrive a few years back and I didn't like the whining noise when steering. Are the newer ones any better in regards to the noise? The I-pilot makes it more attractive for buying but is it worth it when you take into account the steering whine? Is Motorguide any better? I would really appreciate your opinions.

I am going to be purchasing a new trolling motor this spring, it is either a Fortrex or a Terrova. I had a Powerdrive a few years back and I didn't like the whining noise when steering. Are the newer ones any better in regards to the noise? The I-pilot makes it more attractive for buying but is it worth it when you take into account the steering whine? Is Motorguide any better? I would really appreciate your opinions.

Both motors and brands are good. I have both a Terrova and a Maxxxum-pre Fortrex. I like the Maxxum for vertical jigging the river as I dont have to look at where the motor is pointing. The Terrova is a trolling machine with features that will make your job easy. Cruise control, anchor, track record and auto pilot all with the use of a hand held remote or the foot pedal.

Once again it willl be a personal choice, preference and the type or types of fishing you do. The shows are coming up and 2012 products will be hitting the shelves you may score a deal on last yrs model.

3 years on my Fortrex now and I couldn't find a negative about if I tried and it's by far the best trolling motor I've ever had.

62" shaft & 80 pound thrust takes me anywhere I want to go, even into the strongest winds and heaviest weeds and the lift assist makes it effortless to stow or deploy. Built in transducer for my front sonar is pretty slick too.

As mentioned by Bob though, it all depends on the style of fishing you do and features you want.

Cnv0358.jpg

I have the 80lb trova ipilot, it is the best motor I've owned. It's the little things like when you break your line you hit anchor,go sit down and retie. Know need to control the boat,follow your fav. shore line and just fish.The best is at the ramp when you let the boat go.Park your truck and stand on the dock and whistle while controlling the boat to come to you.You get some shocked looks.

I have the 80lb trova ipilot, it is the best motor I've owned. It's the little things like when you break your line you hit anchor,go sit down and retie. Know need to control the boat,follow your fav. shore line and just fish.The best is at the ramp when you let the boat go.Park your truck and stand on the dock and whistle while controlling the boat to come to you.You get some shocked looks.

LOL..."heeeeeere boy"

Terrova is much smoother with the steering than the powerdrive, still has noise but I don't find it annoying anytime I've seen one.

The fortrex looks to be a nice motor also, but comes down to the type of fishing you do. You can't control a fortrex anywhere except the attached pedal. Terrova you can control from anywhere on the boat with the longer pedal cord and the ipilot.

I haven't met one person who doesn't thoroughly enjoy their terrova.

I LOVE MY TERROVA :thumbsup_anim:

Auto pilot and co-pilot rock....but i will be adding the I-Pilot this spring...have not heard a bad thing about the I-Pilot, quite the opposite, everyone i know who has it RAVES about it.

And with the Terrova you can still use the foot pedal with I-Pilot installed...unlike the powerdrive....powerdrives are a real pain to deploy too....Terrova....EFFORTLESS!

two things i'm concerned about with the power steering units 1) its difficult/not possible to attach a sonar transducer = you need to purchase the universal sonar = more bucks 2) it sounds like the steering pedals / pads can't take much wear and tear and have to be replaced often.

can anyone comment on either of these issues ?

two things i'm concerned about with the power steering units 1) its difficult/not possible to attach a sonar transducer = you need to purchase the universal sonar = more bucks 2) it sounds like the steering pedals / pads can't take much wear and tear and have to be replaced often.

can anyone comment on either of these issues ?

well you're certainly trying to cover all bases here which is good....

What kind of fishfinder do you use??. On the Humminbirds the cable is smaller diameter and you can make a really nice setup with the Terrova:

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/fishing-electronics-trolling-motors/118059-terrova-sonar-transducer-mount.html

Note: Lowrance cable is too big to go through the shaft insert on the terrova.

Powerdrive:

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/fishing-electronics-trolling-motors/146166-adding-hds-transducer-mk-powerdrive-v2-other-stiff.html

In my opinion, at least with Lowrance, the stock transducer works better than Minnkota's US2 transducer (which I think is a humminbird btw). Its not hard to mount a puck or skimmer transducer on a Terrova, but you need to be careful with the cable when deploying but its not a big deal.

For simplicity sake a US2 is quite nice and still marks fish and depth quite well, but the stock transducer at least with Lowrance appears to give a clearer picture when compared to the US2. Lots of folks use either setup and still catch lots of fish.

I think pedal failure is quite rare. Letting it dry after a wet day would probably go a long way. Don't forget there is still electrical components in a cable steer pedal that could fail.

thanks scugog - some good info - currently the unit i have in the bow is a garmin - and i have no idea what size cable it has compared to the rest. Good to know there are options though - I thought it was outta the question until I saw your post.

Maybe the pedal problem is a bit exaggerated though ?

I do like the "set it and leave it" feature because most of my fishing would not be in heavy cover. I understand heavy cover (slop/timber/weeds etc) is where the cable steer excel's ?

Edited by Rob V

thanks scugog - some good info - currently the unit i have in the bow is a garmin - and i have no idea what size cable it has compared to the rest. Good to know there are options though - I thought it was outta the question until I saw your post.

Maybe the pedal problem is a bit exaggerated though ?

I do like the "set it and leave it" feature because most of my fishing would not be in heavy cover. I understand heavy cover (slop/timber/weeds etc) is where the cable steer excel's ?

The cable steer has instant steering and looks to also have an easy stow/deploy mechanism...at least on the high end models. I would think the steering is the biggest advantage on the cable steer.

Below is a video on the terrova, as you can see it steers quite quick also. adding an ipilot makes it even better. 2yr warranty on motor and ipilot.

I've used a powerdrive V2 and did not like how it stow/deployed, steered or using the pedal. Another negative to the powerdrive is that it doesn't cut power to the motor when its stowed. It could accidentally be turned on if you don't unplug the pedal or hit the remote.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceNWd4H4SxQ

Edited by scugog

i got an ipilot 80# thrust,60 inch shaft, last year, love it, it is the best motor i've had. definately the one to go with. it also has a universal sonar,but i just put my transducer on it( for a humminbird with side scan) with a hose clamp because i dont think the universal is designed for side scan.