Boat customizing

Skipper D

Just wondering if any one was working on a boat this winter to get it ready for this years softwater season like i am about to do shortly . I bought one last fall to gut and make into my personal fish boat .

Edited by Skipper " D "

Hope your gonna post the story of the re-build along with plenty of pictures as you progress Skip. It's always interesting to follow those sorta things.

I'd be more then happy to Lew , right now i am allmost finish linening the lower half of my shop with tin sheeting where i'd like to put the boat and get started at it .

I love fixing up boats... Especially the wiring...

My Lund wiring was a mess... The previous owner took shortcuts everywhere he could...

I tore apart the entire boat and reworked everything... Looks like a professional did the work...

I always think its awsome when you can but it back the way it ws made or make it look like it was done by a pro .

I wish there was something I needed to fix on the new boat, but the previous owner was an electrician and re-did everything already, lol. Although I do need some new Scotty baseplates for the 1106 riggers, they are way to far back.

:EDIT: I do however have to mount and run wires for the Humminbird 747C I plan on putting up front. Also gotta mount the transducer to the Minn Kota!

Edited by BillM

I wish there was something I needed to fix on the new boat, but the previous owner was an electrician and re-did everything already, lol. Although I do need some new Scotty baseplates for the 1106 riggers, they are way to far back.

:EDIT: I do however have to mount and run wires for the Humminbird 747C I plan on putting up front. Also gotta mount the transducer to the Minn Kota!

Good stuff Bill , i've always been a fixer myself . Iam going to try and find a couple of pictures to post here to show what i am up to them i am going to get back to work , times a wasting .

I rebuilt a 1971 searay 180 this past spring. It was given to me and I decided to go in with 6 other buddies and fix it up. I rebuilt the engine (a 1968 merc SS1000), replaced all the wiring and fuel system while the other boys buffed, painted and cleaned. Still have some trim work to do this winter along with installing a fishfinder and radio but it's a sweet cruiser.

I rebuilt a 1971 searay 180 this past spring. It was given to me and I decided to go in with 6 other buddies and fix it up. I rebuilt the engine (a 1968 merc SS1000), replaced all the wiring and fuel system while the other boys buffed, painted and cleaned. Still have some trim work to do this winter along with installing a fishfinder and radio but it's a sweet cruiser.

Can you post a few pic's to show us .

My old shop should have been tore down years ago but i keep fixing the stupid thing . So for now in order to get organize a bit better and leave the big side of the shop free for equipment repairs i want to fix up the old lean to that some one had built on to the side of the original building for storing fire wood , a few years back i tore the wall out between the two and stored my junk in it . Now i see it as a good place to have a tool room and its big enough to also hold a project to work on that might take some time that would other wise tie up the main shop . Heres a few pic's of what it looks like now til i finish linening it with sheet tin then turning it into a tool room then bring in the boat .

Finaly , heres the boat i bought last fall that i want to get working on , now i could go buy a new boat if i so choose but i am a guy who needs to keep his hands buisy if you know what i mean , any ways i picked this boat up at Glenn Burney marina , it belonged to an older couple who new how to take care of things , its a 1984 180 Tempest with a 140 inboard mercusier and out drive , plans are to gut it , modernize the inside and keep as much open space as possible open free to move around in for fishing .

As long as the hull structure is relatively sound, ie the stringers and transom, you shouldn't have too many problems. Floor replacement can be done as can engine and drive. You going to upsize the engine?? Have fun, I'm sure she is going to be nice and shiny when you are done with her.

As long as the hull structure is relatively sound, ie the stringers and transom, you shouldn't have too many problems. Floor replacement can be done as can engine and drive. You going to upsize the engine?? Have fun, I'm sure she is going to be nice and shiny when you are done with her.

Well i am going to try and wear that one out first , but a 502 would be nice for chase'n schools . Have fun every one , i better get to work , see you's back here a little later ...........

great thread....im THINKING of repainting my lund this year....have priced out a few of the pro shops and they want a small fortune....i know pro's cost money...but it aint that big of a job..(being a painter myself)....so right now im searching the net for some direction....

great thread....im THINKING of repainting my lund this year....have priced out a few of the pro shops and they want a small fortune....i know pro's cost money...but it aint that big of a job..(being a painter myself)....so right now im searching the net for some direction....

Talk to Wayne (irishfield). I believe he did a Lund project paint job a few years ago before he bought his new boat.

Edited by Tom McCutcheon