Canadian tire service story

mike rousseau

Went to my local CT store today looking for an ice chisel for fishing...

Due to the weather this year I have my doubts about ice quality...

I checked the website and it said they had one in stock...

So I get there... Do a couple laps around the ice fishing gear and find nothing...

I asked the fella working where they were... He checked... Nothing... Then he checked the back... Found 2... But they were only about 24-30 inches long... This wasn't what I was hoping to find...

So I said thanks anyways...

So I'm rummaging through the lindy darters and I hear " exude me sir"

Heres the guy that tried to help me earlier... He asked me to describe the item better to him... So I did...

He says "stay here I'll be right back"

Couple minutes later he comes back with exactly what I was looking for... A 4 foot spud...

He said they stopped selling them a couple years back but this one has been lying around since then...

It was also obvious that another employee used the spud for spray paint practice...

Anyways... I didn't mind the spray paint so he tagged it at the same price as the 24-30 inch model... $30

So in the end because of this ambitious fella I got a 50-100 dollar chisel for 30...

Sometimes things just go your way... Felt great...

So thanks CT employee...

Mike

MM, make sure someone up the leadership chain, preferably the franchisee/store owner knows. Good employees like that are EXTREMEMLY HARD TO FIND esp. in a retail setting. Also, who cares what the thing looks like, as long as you are able to find safe ice with it, it's all good.

doesn't matter where you are - 90% of the sales experience and/or customer satisfaction comes from the person you're dealing with - obviously this guy cares about his customers and you end up with a great experience as a result . Hopefully this guy gets recognized for this somehow ($'s). FAR too many people in the retail / service business don't understand this !!

I had a similar occurrence while the GF and I were looking for boots at CT. We found a nice pair that fit her which happened to be the last pair on the shelf. No tags were on the boots and they had a very minor scuff. Ended up taking them to the service desk where they searched through all the records and in the end she got them for 50% off because they were deemed to be a returned item.

Went to my local CT store today looking for an ice chisel for fishing...

Due to the weather this year I have my doubts about ice quality...

I checked the website and it said they had one in stock...

So I get there... Do a couple laps around the ice fishing gear and find nothing...

I asked the fella working where they were... He checked... Nothing... Then he checked the back... Found 2... But they were only about 24-30 inches long... This wasn't what I was hoping to find...

So I said thanks anyways...

So I'm rummaging through the lindy darters and I hear " exude me sir"

Heres the guy that tried to help me earlier... He asked me to describe the item better to him... So I did...

He says "stay here I'll be right back"

Couple minutes later he comes back with exactly what I was looking for... A 4 foot spud...

He said they stopped selling them a couple years back but this one has been lying around since then...

It was also obvious that another employee used the spud for spray paint practice...

Anyways... I didn't mind the spray paint so he tagged it at the same price as the 24-30 inch model... $30

So in the end because of this ambitious fella I got a 50-100 dollar chisel for 30...

Sometimes things just go your way... Felt great...

So thanks CT employee...

Mike

hey funny story I worked a ct, still my favorite store saterday flyers a ritual, however, my best dat at work there was after I went out of my way to help a costumer, they called the manager and gave me praise. He in turn gave me 3 golf balls. its a crappy job with poor wages, this dude went above and beyond so call the store don't give to many details cause you might get him in trouble....but give him praise, cause he deserves it. ddo what you want but I'll remember those golfballs forever, I don't golf much.

hey funny story I worked a ct, still my favorite store saterday flyers a ritual, however, my best dat at work there was after I went out of my way to help a costumer, they called the manager and gave me praise. He in turn gave me 3 golf balls. its a crappy job with poor wages, this dude went above and beyond so call the store don't give to many details cause you might get him in trouble....but give him praise, cause he deserves it. ddo what you want but I'll remember those golfballs forever, I don't golf much.

Thats good to hear!

When I was younger I worked there temp. for a new store build. Got in good with the owner/manager and the main corperate guy sent in to take charge of the build. We had a great crew, a few of my good friends were on too. Had alot of fun treating the customers really well. Made for happy days and some good stories.

Makes me wonder where the service is at these days? I thoroughly enjoyed treating customers as good as possible.

your lucky my ct store sucks, i aksed the parts guy where the pully pullers were one day he said whats that? then for what year car lol ended up finding them myself, in the fishing department its hard to find any single person there that knows a single dam thing about fishing, usually you just get a funny look and we dont have that or i dont know what that is, i dont even bother going there anymore, i go to the mom and pop stores now

I`ll start off by saying, I`m not a big CTC fan, but they have come through for me over the years.

I went looking for something one time and found a $500 item on sale for $300, I asked the gal if she could give me the best CTC price for the item, or I wouldn`t take it. She got on the phone and came back with a price of $150, I bought it and another unit similar, but different for a total of $400. I figure they made money and I got a deal.

Another time, I was heading north and started to smell gas around alliston. Well, I figured I might make Barrie before closing (friday of long weekend). By the time they got to me it was about 15 min. bafore closing. The manager explained to me that he could`nt get anyone to stay late, I said I completely understood that.

Well, end result was he ordered lots of partes that he thought he might need and when the store closed, he put my camper van up on the hoist. Turns out he only needed some rubber fuel line and I was back on the road by 9:45 pm.

This sure beat staying in hotel with wife and kids. I did write the store, but not sure if the `Good Samaratan`` would have actually caught hell for doing something after hours.

Oh well.

When I first started fishing for musky I bought a Rapala musky rod and revo winch reel from CT. I had no experience with baitcasters and didn't want to end up with a bird's nest every cast so the guy who worked there actually took me behind the store and showed me how to properly use the reel. That was some of the best customer service I've ever received.