Happy New Year to OFN

DoubleDigits

Happy New Year to all the fisherpeople here at OFC. I read this board all the time, but rarely contribute. If winter ever arrives, I hope to put up some frozen fish pics over the next few months. Anyhow, I just got back from an awesome visit with family in central Florida, and thought I would post a few of our better catches. My brother, who lives in Australia was visiting, and we were determined to fish pretty hard. The goal was to go offshore (which is what he is used to), do some sight fishing inshore, and to catch big buckets in the fresh.

We went out with an excellent captain out of Port Canaveral, and despite 20 kt winds, managed to fill the box with big King Mackerel, slow trolling dead sardines. A cobia came up to play by the boat, and was more than willing to chomp the bucktail.

IMG_0101.jpg

IMG_0103.jpg

DSCN0641.jpg

Sight fishing tailing redfish and sea trout with Capt. Jim Ross in the famous Mosquito Lagoon was an unreal experience. The guy is a wizard, and put us on fish when everyone else was really struggling. Making a pinpoint cast in the clutch is never easy, but when you do, I think its the best thing in fishing.

IMG_0169.jpg

IMG_0143.jpg

IMG_0139.jpg

IMG_0148.jpg

IMG_0147.jpg

IMG_0164.jpg

The best fishing moment of the entire trip, and my fishing life so far, was solely provided by my girlfriend who joined us for four short, awesome days. She got into a zone with the bass like I'd never seen before, steadily outfishing my brother and I one evening. She was throwing a wacky 3" Senko in green and white, and was steadily hammering 1 to 3 lbers. My brother and I were swinging for the fences, with big 10" Mann's Jelly Worms. The old 'even an elephant eats a peanut' adage beat out the 'big bait, big fish' theory that night, and thanks to some truly excellent angling, and steely nerves...she made our entire trip, by landing this beautiful, gigantic bass on 6 lb line. My PB largemouth weighed 9.1 (caught 3-4 years ago) and all I can say is, this one was bigger, longer, and fatter.

IMG_0179.jpg

IMG_0177.jpg

Thanks for looking, and Happy New Year

Sweet Cobia!!!! I'm hoping to get down there in Feb/March for a few days.. Love shore fishing the Gulf side, such a good time.

That's the right time for the Cobe's for sure. Casting at mantarays and turtles...

It was a small one, but the first I've landed, and special for sure. The biggest lost battle of my life was a cobia in the 80 lb range in Australia a few years ago, on bass tackle. Albright slipped after 50 mins...

Edited by DoubleDigits