Electric Down Riggers...

irishfield

Ive been using Big Jons for about 14 years now and they halve held up really well. I also have Cannon on the boat. Cannon has a couple of features I like over Big Jons, they have a boom that you exstend out from the boat. This is nice for storeing them away when not being used. Also they have an automatic stop as the cannon ball reaches the surface. This is great when your clearing line playing a fish. Both of these have given me good service over the years. Hope this helps you out. Good fishing.

Hey Wayne, I don't know electric downriggers as I only have the manual Cannons. However, an anal retentive friend of mine has been researching them all winter and has settled on the Walkers. In his words "They are BY FAR the best engineered and manufactured product". You have to know this guy..."by far" is not his kinda words. Check their website if you haven't already.

They're also not far from you, Wayne. (Stayner) Pop in and talk to the people who actually build them...that's what I'd do.

http://www.walkerdownriggers.com/

Hope this hleps.

WALKER all the way for me . I like the one electric walker I have . AND I got the life time warranty for any repairs that may be needed. ( IF THEY CANT FIX IT THEN THEY REPLACE IT. ) AND they are very close by you . For any part or repairs should you need them.

JUST MY 2 CENTS. KEITH

Well i have been using big jons capt packs riggers for about 15yrs now and i still have them and never let me down....ive only ever had to replace the normal things like springs and once i broke a line counter but that was my fault.they always work and are well made and they last.oh and wayne my fav reason for liking them is big jons can lift up & down and it makes things alot easier when they can do that and i dont have to bend way over the side to do things..so good luck on your choice cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

Edited by fishindevil

Hey wayne yes you are right fishlander has really come on strong and i know a guy who was running them last year and he liked them better than his big jons as well and were alot faster rigger..they also have a great selection of other products and they are making some great salmon lures and stuff.their riggers are also colored real nice and look very good,i have a silver/grey lund and my big jons look like they were ordered for the boat...cause they are aluminum so they match my boat perfectly...just thought that might help im not sure what color your new lund is...cheers :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

Thanks EVERYONE..and keep the thoughts coming.

I'll probably just use my manuals this season and I'll see how many times I actually use them for lakers before upgrading, seeing I already blew this years budget +++ already on tracks, holders and accessories from Pursuit. Good exercise reeling them up from 100 FOW anyhow.....but electrics would be much nicer for solo or even dual fishing operations.

GB...are those the ones you said your friend picked up that the charters have been using for a while??? Seeing they don't even have auto stop...do they have any auto depth lowering...or do you have to manually "clutch" them down and watch the counter?

I like the scotty because they are fast, we clear the lines most of the time when we have a fish on and with just 2 of us in the boat I have to hustle to get the lines clear, keep some control on the boat and get ready to net Dad's fish. And if I get a big one on the noodle rod we get the lines clear, set the boat adrift and Dad can find something to read or watch a movie on the DVD.