War Veteran

Meely

I was wondering how I can go about finding more info on a war veteran.

I happened across an old service document dating back to 1916 indicating a George Haley had enlisted on February 6, 1916. He was part of the 166th battalion of the Queen's Own Rifles of Canada. I tried contacting the QOR but I haven thad any response yet. Tried Googling but ZIP!!

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks,

Meely :canadian:

Edited by Meely

If the military document has the person's service number, Veteran's Affairs can look up his MSR. More detailed info might be available through the regimental archives. Be patient. THe QOR is a militia regt. No one is going to be there daily to answer e-mails, especially at Christmas.

Go to the national archives in canada and do a search on his name. You'll find his enlistment papers and where he was killed in action. I have discovered 16 distant relatives that enlisted in ww1 that I didn't know about. 1 was KIA in France and I have his burial plot and cemetary info. As well, the government sent me some info as well along with a certified copy of the page of the book of rememberance where his name appears

you can also try ancestry.ca....the stuff i found out about my family last winter was amazing...and through it i actually met with a 3rd cousin this year that lives in ontario....the access to records is overwhelming to say the least....

Good Luck

Hey Roy......

Looks like George Willis Haley may be my man.

Enlisted on the 6th of Feb and his papers state he took oath on the 7th.

Just gotta figure out all the military coding now and see what I can dig up.......

Thanks for your help

Meely :canadian: